Welcome to the World of Being "Comped"

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Welcome to the World of Being "Comped"

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:14 pm

I was asked to join three other Board members of the Michigan Publinx Senior Golf Association to accompany them on a visit of the sites for our 2018 Open Senior Amateur Golf Championship. Our group will stay at A-Ga-Ming Resort and play the Sundance course on day 1 & 3 with a visit to Belvedere on Day 2. The Sundance course is a very nice modern layout. It has dramatic elevation changes and rolls through pristine northern Michigan woods and grasslands. Belvedere dates back to 1925 had was built by Willie Watson using 5 teams of horses to shape the course.

We arrived at A-Ga-Ming around 1 pm on Thursday and meet with the director of golf. We discussed some details, options, etc... Then the director told us he had a 3-bedroom condo on the "Torch" course set aside for the next 2 nights, which of course they would take care of. Then he asked us if we wanted to play golf, which of course they would also take care of for us. Did we want to play on Friday or Saturday, too? Well, we were meeting at Belvedere on Friday. Okay, just let him know if we wanted to play Saturday.

Friday we visited Belvedere (semi-private). Lots of history at Belvedere. Lots of major champions have played at Belvedere, yadda, yadda, yadda. Discussed the details and then the Director of golf had his staff get 2 carts ready for us. Did we want to hit balls? Something to eat?

Sadly, we did not have time to play Saturday, back at A-Ga-Ming.

Life sure can be nice when you have something others want (100-120 guests/golfers).
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Re: Welcome to the World of Being "Comped"

Post by DougE » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:57 pm

I gotta get me on one a dem dere boards.

BTW, will you be playing in the event? I know there are some real players in the Publinx in the two states I have lived in. I am assuming you need to be a certain level index or lower to get in. At least I think that's how it was in ours.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: Welcome to the World of Being "Comped"

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:16 pm

DougE wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:57 pm
. I know there are some real players in the Publinx in the two states I have lived in. I am assuming you need to be a certain level index or lower to get in. At least I think that's how it was in ours.
We have a Michigan Publinx Golf Association. They cater to very good players. They run a "Scratch" series of tournaments for 18-49 year olds. They also have a "Senior Scratch" division (50 and up) and a "Net" division (all ages).

We are the Michigan Publinx SENIOR Golf Association. We only have players 50+ in age. We also only run "net" tournaments. We have a year long gross competition divided into age categories but we are really a "net" organization. We have players with handicaps from 0.0 to 36.0. We flight all the tournaments (roughly 0-9, 10-13, 14-18, 19+) and then play against the flight. Typical tournament has 100 players in four 25 man flights.

So, yes, I will be playing in the tournament at A-Ga-Ming/Belvedere. The gross winner of the "Senior Flight" will be eligible to play in the Golf Assoc. of Michigan "Tournament of Champions" along with the club champions from Oakland Hills, Crystal Downs, C.C. of Detroit, etc... I will be in the "Super Senior" flight (age 65-69). I have an outside chance of winning the gross Super Senior title but more likely will try to win the net portion. I have been trying to talk the best Super Senior into trying to be Club Champion by competing in the "Senior" division.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!