When is it TOO Cold?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

When is it TOO Cold?

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:06 pm

Of course there are varying standards. When is it too cold to go swimming or too cold for shorts? Too cold for no hat or too cold to play golf?

This question is more of when is it too cold to do anything? We will experience our high temperature for Wednesday around 1 am at -1 f. From there we slide to around -14 with a 20-30 mph breeze. It is possible the Beef might tee it up, barring any snow on the ground. I suspect most of us would think long and hard about even going outside.

For me, -0- is sort of the "go, no go" standard. Sunny, -0-, and a 5 mph breeze or less, no problem. Start getting into minus double digit "real feel" and I sit by the fire with a book and a drink. I am not talking about playing golf...just going outside to cut fire wood or take a walk.

What say you all?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Re: When is it TOO Cold?

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:52 pm

Have I told you I love being in the South again? Today I wore my winter coat for the 3rd time this year. On the way home one of those highway information signs was flashing “Cold winter conditions exist. Use caution.” I looked at the temperature gauge and it said 36. Wimps.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:54 pm

Way back when I lived in France, the coldest I had been in was maybe -10C, so still positive in Fahrenheit, about 10 I guess. I wouldn't want to be in colder weather than that, although I did make an exception once, in Ottawa when it was -25F: I had to get out because that was the end of a week where I worked day and night, 19 or 20 hours per day, for 6 days straight (a 115 hours week if you will), and I needed to take a walk!

Now that I live in California, I wouldn't want to go out in freezing temps (except for skiing, but I no longer do that...), so I'd say my coldest is probably 35F now. :lolz

Good luck up in the frozen tundra and stay warm, guys!
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 pm

I'm prepared for anything down to -10F or so. A lot depends on the winds. Sometimes they blow you around too much. But I like to test the conditions when they get super extreme. Also I have to go poo outside with the dog, no matter the weather. :x
Build a bridge and get over it.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:56 pm

Hmm.. I'm in California and SJD said 35F and I was thinking 35F-40F, but literally, that's the coldest it really gets here. That said, I guess I'd go lower since it's golf and I love to golf, even if it's uncomfortable.
Bluto did it

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:51 am

It will be -8° here today, not quite as cold as the Mitten, but for this sun and surf raised kid, it's bullshit. As an extra kick in the nuts, it'll be about the same tomorrow. I don't like going outside when it's 45° let alone -8.
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:04 am

Too cold to do anything? I'd never really thought of this, I generally think "too cold to do (some activity)" Hmmm I would go with something around 10F for me.

Around 20F is when I just have 0 interest in being outside, but I can if need be.

I was in a fishing tournament in FL when it was 34F in the morning (tournament started at 6am). That 15 mile run at about 35-40mph was insanely cold. I was wrapping everything around my face I could and my eyes were stinging when we got to the place to fish. Luckily it warmed up to low 50's that day and we came in 2nd in the tournament.

Golf I can do down around the freezing mark maybe down to the very upper 20's if the course is empty and I can get done in under 3 hours.

Shoveling snow in 18F isn't bad because I'm working so hard to even realize how cold it is. Not saying it's enjoyable, I just don't notice the cold.

So that gets me to somewhere in the lower teens/single digits where it's too cold to do anything.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:13 am

14* at my house in Maryland. 4* this morning. 50mph winds forecast. But, WTF do I care,
I'm in Florida! :lolz

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:21 am

DougE wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:13 am
14* at my house in Maryland. 4* this morning. 50mph winds forecast. But, WTF do I care,
I'm in Florida! :lolz
I loved that they showed that in Marathon Key, FL, they had a record cold high yesterday:
64*
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:24 pm

The coldest I've ever been in was 14* F, in Kingman, AZ in Feb. That was memorable. My brother-in-law lives in NW Montana, but works the oil fields in N. Dakota on a 3 week on, 3 week off basis. He showed me some special jacket that he uses that has some kind of plastic liner that they use in N. Dakota winters when it's -30F with windchill or some shit. I'd like to experience that kind of cold at least once in my life.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:02 am

My buddy has a battery powered heated vest. It's rechargeable. He plugs it in overnight and he's ready for more warmth the next day. Evidently it is quite effective. He can crank it all the way up and stay warm well into the single digit temps. For golf, at 40*, he says he has to keep it on the low setting or he sweats his ass off. Everyone in the upper Midwest could use one right now. The coldest place in the US is normally, Mt. Washington in New Hampshire, with temps regularly well-below zero and wind chills in the -50 range, but the Midwest is really giving it a run for its money with this arctic blast. The Mt. Washington weather station/staff housing is prepared for this stuff. The Midwest is not. I feel sorry for any and all of you who are in it, even if not in the most extreme areas of it. Simply dealing with below zero is stressful enough. Hang in there. Should be over in a day or so.

I see temperatures forecast to be 63 degrees in my hometown in MD next week. It's 5* this morning there. So, though it may not get to 63 in the Midwest, 40* will feel like 63* after this past week. I'd go play 18 if I were you! :o

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:57 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:02 am
My buddy has a battery powered heated vest. It's rechargeable. He plugs it in overnight and he's ready for more warmth the next day. Evidently it is quite effective. He can crank it all the way up and stay warm well into the single digit temps.
Never heard of that. Surprised more people don't have one.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:33 pm

They aren't that expensive either. Like $150 or less if memory serves.