The Tiger Thread

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: The Tiger Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:04 pm

I fear this is the end. Glad the Tiger is back home and healing and everything but there is still much uncertainty over the situation. It is a black cloud unfortunately, and part of it hangs over all of professional golf. What caused this crash. Why no skid marks. From news reports, and from their own reporting, law enforcement clearly favored the individual over a hard investigation of what really happened. This was Southern California after all. Tiger is probably the greatest sportsman ever came out of this place. He was a legend in California long before he ever said Hello World or whatever. While I totally get it, and maybe even condone it, law enforcement did not handle this crash in a very rigorous manner. (Other than getting our hero to safety obviously.) The entire situation is fishy, you know it and I know it. Thus the black cloud. But publicly, it can't really be talked about. We can only send well wishes.

Tiger's legacy fortunately will not suffer from the black cloud. That is how sterling his achievements are IMO. And especially in light of how he finished his playing career in memorable fashion. That whole comeback after back fusion, it was sensational. I remember it all. From the Tiger World Challenge in the Bahamas at the very end of 2017, that's when he started playing again, and excited everyone by shooting some low scores again, and also bringing some eye opening clubhead speed to the party. The 2018 Tour season was packed with thrills as he contended regularly. Those close calls at the Open and the PGA were the height of golf-on-TV entertainment, as compelling if not more than any of Tiger Woods other glorious career highlights. And of course he closed that season with a storybook ending, the perfect validation of a full season of rebuild and steady progress. And 2019, would become much more than just the Masters win. There was tying the Sam Snead record in Japan. The simultaneous captaining and being the best player in the Presidents Cup was an achievement that will be much appreciated in years to come.

What Tiger did in 2018-2019 didn't just cement his legacy, it polished it. He did all this in the full view of the internet and social media and memes, against all the young golf stars of the day. There are many now who will remember Tiger best from the late-career stuff. In a way this last chapter might end up actually overshadowing some of the historical shine on the mighty Tiger of circa 2000.

Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:54 am

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:27 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:54 am
Told you. :nope
Just hold your horses there, Mr. Cynical. I still thinkhope it was something innocent. Fell asleep, distracted texting, etc. Something that wont harm his image any further.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:18 pm

Told you as in I told you that law enforcement was giving Tiger special treatment. Anyways even if the cause was "something innocent" it is still deeply concerning whatever it was.

Now that I think about it, Tiger is perhaps lucky that this occurred in the aftermath of his late career heroics. That is to say, there was a time, circa 2016, when Tiger really appeared, at times, like a washed up piece of shit. What if he did this crash back then? Somehow I feel that law enforcement would not have been as discreet and the gory details would have been splashed all across the National Enquirer and TMZ. Oh that's right, Tiger did have an embarrassing car mishap around that time, the unfortunate details of which we heard all about. :nope

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:41 pm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:35 pm

Couldn't even bring myself to post about the most recent revelation, that Tiger woke up from the crash thinking he's in Florida. I don't have any coherent ideas about what really happened but the black cloud grows bigger, and blacker. The questions raised by this incident are probably too disturbing and awkward for the public to face. As in why does this guy have such a casual disregard for his safety (not to mention that of other random people on the road). Eventually though, as with other scandals, this will fade into the background, since nobody else was hurt or maimed.

I am as guilty as anyone of laughing along with this notion that you have to be a psychopath to achieve at that level. Well if that is true, then people like Tiger actually need to be monitored closely for criminal behavior. We as a society have to accept the flip side of the coin and not turn a blind eye to these potential monsters. Look at what OJ was capable of.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:58 pm

I admit I haven't delved into every detail of his crash, but from what I know, he kind of peeled out of the hotel parking lot in a rush, and was on his way to a photo shoot/marketing thing? My guess is that he was running late, and he's likely not the type of person to show up late to things. I'm hard pressed to believe that he'd popped any pills or painkillers that early, but maybe? I've read that he struggles with backpain sleeping on strange beds and he was going to a playing lesson of some kind with other sports celebrities, so maybe he did take something to loosen up.

The eggshell reluctance for authorities to release information is understandable given the fallout after the Kobe heli crash.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:12 pm