2021 LPGA

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: 2021 LPGA

Post by DougE » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:10 am

Alls I know is they both play the same Titleist TSi 3 driver I do (only a whole lot better than me :facepalm). Obviously, they are two smart ladies. ;)

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:56 pm

LPGA is in Korea this week, and there is no tournament in the world quite like when the LPGA comes to Korea. Lots of tournaments invite awestruck locals to mix it up with the pros but here, the locals are formidable and they mean business. They badly want not just the title but the LPGA card that comes along with it. I think for several years now, the average talent level on the Korean LPGA rivals that of the American original. That's no a swipe at the USA or anything. There is just a way bigger system of professional golf for women in Korea, with not one but two developmental tours below the main one. In the sport of women's golf Korea has become a behemoth and it's no longer just about a handful of people being inspired by a great success story (i.e. Se Ri Pak). They have institutionalized success. From what I've seen on social media I suspect it pervades well beyond the professional level. I see lots of content from anonymous Korean teaching pros and I just get this feeling that for whatever reason everyone teaches it better there. Anyways true to form the 36 hole leaders are locals. One of them is Hee Jeong Lim a top KLPGAer. Look at this swing, it is pretty much flawless.

Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:43 am

We may have a new lady Tiger. Jin Young Ko has won the last two events. She is 5 back with a lot of women to pass this weekend so a three peat may not be in the cards. She is the defending champion at the season ending CME next week.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:38 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:35 pm
Gonna throw out an incendiary opinion but not to troll, I genuinely stand by it: Nelly Korda is the #1 ranked player in the world but I believe the rankings right now don't reflect reality. Jin Young Ko is still The Best...
Time for Ko and Korda to decide who is #1. The CME Tour Championship is here with both players showing great form. Korda comes off a playoff win last weekend (Ko T6 with a closing 66). Ko is the defending champion. It has been so long since there was any golf that meant something, I may need to watch.

Is there an echo in here? Hello ello ello elo.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:15 am

As good as Korean LPGA players are, they seem to struggle in Florida. Major home field advantage there, for whatever reasons.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:10 am

Bermuda grass. Tom Watson never won in FL while on the Tour (he did win as a Senior).
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:15 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:10 am
Bermuda grass. Tom Watson never won in FL while on the Tour (he did win as a Senior).
You beat me to the most likely correct answer. (I was rushed when I saw Beef's comment yesterday on my way off to the course, so didn't have time to offer my 2 cents then). Dormant Bermuda. It's the same reason I often struggle when I play FL golf in winter. Hate that stuff.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:32 am

Some surprising professional golf news this morning. The LPGA announced its 2022 schedule and it is moving one of its tournaments from the Bay Area to.... Ventura County! Which as of next week will be known as Legitimatebeef County. I'd say this is big news for all Ventura County pro golf fans, because this is a podunk town, population is under a million.

I missed a prime opportunity to see LPGA last month in New Jersey because we were right in the thick of all that real estate shit. Not that it's a big priority of mine but I assumed after our move that I'd probably have less women's pro golf in my life. Now it emerges that I'll be living closer to an LPGA event than ever--the Saticoy Club is 30 minutes from the new house. And this is the boonies, none of that SoCal traffic. (And given NYC traffic, I was never closer than 1.5 hours away anyway.)

Never heard of Saticoy but it is highly rated, and their website shows testimonials from the likes of Danielle Kang and Steve Stricker.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:59 am

I do hope you attend. Like me, I know you have a an appreciation for the LPGA. The ladies are great fun to watch and be around. And damn good at their craft. I truly enjoyed them at Westchester CC a few years back. As much as I was in love with Paula Creamer at the time, Natalie Gulbis came across as a very sincere, welcoming and a fun person to be around. She won me over. These days, it's the Korda sisters, Daniel Kang and Ariya who I root for, for a variety of different reasons. But I really enjoy watching them all.

Coincidentally, I just got the offer to volunteer at an LPGA event at Congressional CC next season. I'm considering it, especially if I can secure one of the driver positions available, transporting players and their families to and from airport/hotels, etc. I'd get an all-access pass for all days of the event, practice rounds and ProAm. Would you do it? Would you do it if you were offered a less interesting position? Like ball spotter or rope-tender? How about hamburger flipper? I think I will draw the line at anything outside the ropes, other than chauffeur.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:21 am

Hell yeah that sounds fun and potentially interesting in a fly on the wall kind of way. Most tournament volunteers I've seen seem barely qualified to fog a mirror. They need people with DougE level of golf and golf course expertise and general awareness to handle the bigger responsibilities.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:44 pm

Maybe I can have them speak with you regarding my qualifications. ;)

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:23 am

DougE wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:59 am
...Coincidentally, I just got the offer to volunteer at an LPGA event at Congressional CC next season. ... Would you do it? Would you do it if you were offered a less interesting position? Like ball spotter or rope-tender? How about hamburger flipper? I think I will draw the line at anything outside the ropes, other than chauffeur.
Yes. Having said that, I missed opportunities to volunteer at the LPGA event in Ann Arbor several years ago (Volvik was the sponsor) and still kick myself. A golf acquaintance volunteered and said it was great. He carried a name/position sign with the groups. All the LPGA members are really good about expressing their appreciation, attending volunteer social events and generally making every volunteer feel special.

My one experience was a volunteer at the women's Big Ten championship. When we were asked what we wanted to do, all the volunteers wanted something. I told the woman in charge I would do whatever she needed me to do, pick up trash, watch for errant shots, I was there to help her. She made me her assistant and I got to drive around in a multi-seat golf cart. Best gig available.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:27 am

BTW, look who is currently tied for the CME lead. Ms. Ko is nursing an injured hand (left hand). She has not hit a single full swing practice shot the entire tournament. She teed off yesterday, parred the first hole and then had 7 consecutive birdies to get into the mix. Korda rolled in a 5 foot eagle putt on #17 to join the lead group.
Let's Play 36