Korean LPGA (Live golf on right now)

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Korean LPGA (Live golf on right now)

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed May 13, 2020 9:42 pm

If you are absolutely jonesing for some live tv golf, I have some of what you need. The KLPGA Championship started tonight. It is a big tournament on that tour, and due to circumstances a few LPGA standouts have entered the field. You might recognize names like Sung Hyun Park, Sei Young Kim, Ha Na Jang, Jeongeun Lee "6". Here is a link to watch. Don't ever say I don't bring the interesting content from all across the wide world of golf.

http://aqstream.com/sbsg/SBS-Golf-Stream-2
Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: Korean LPGA (Live golf on right now)

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:52 am

It is 6:45am EDT and the logo says "Live". I am not able to calculate the actual time or even day of the week in Korea.

Observations:
1. Doesn't seem that odd without spectators since the camera is mainly on the players anyway.
2. Caddies with masks but standard holes and they take the flagstick out.
3. No social distancing with the caddies as I saw a fist bump.
4. Asian holes make a different sound when the ball goes in.
5. Pretty light rough on the course
6. Lots of knee socks
7. Firm greens
8. Korean for one over par is "bogey"
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu May 14, 2020 9:41 am

You were hoping to see some professional pool noodle golf weren't you.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:49 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:41 am
You were hoping to see some professional pool noodle golf weren't you.
Yea, that would have been memorable. Or robot caddies. C'mon Korea, get that tech out there.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:39 pm

So Yeon Ryu just won the Korean Women's Open and donated her entire first place purse to the COVID-19 fight. She has donated large sums on the LPGA tour, too. I am impressed by her generosity.

Frankly, winning the Korean Women's Open is probably harder than winning on the LPGA because one has to play against ALL the Korean women.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:38 am

Good point.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:10 am

I've been tuning in to a bit of KLPGA late at night. They even have English language broadcasts now. It is interesting to watch the USLPGA Koreans mix it up with the KLPGA. The LPGAers are doing well so far, having won two of the four post-corona events. But BK is correct, this is a competitive tour. I won't say just yet that it is up to LPGA caliber, but it appears very close. Also I am curious to see how this set of LPGAers does when the US tour resumes. You would expect a huge advantage for the players who moonlighted on the KLPGA.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SBSGolfnow/videos

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:24 am

Think about this, if the USA had a tour just for female USA-born players and Korea had a tour just for Korean women, which tour would be tougher?
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:28 pm

That's a tough one, BK. What I do think is that there are far more Korean ladies working extremely hard at their games, vying to play professional golf at the highest levels, than there are American ladies.

That said, I would assume that due to the much larger pool of quality S. Korean women golfers, they may have the edge overall. That doesn't take away anything from the extraordinary group of US woman who make it to the highest ranks, like Stacy Lewis, or Lexi Thompson, the Korda sisters or Daniel Kang. Many Korean ladies also play to that standard and my feeling is, there are more there who can get to that level than there might be here in the US. Ladies golf is nowhere near as big in the States as it is in South Korea.

In the States, women have other interests. Over there, golf is more of a culture, albeit, somewhat newly acquired (over the last 20 years). I could be wrong, but that's just my observation. At my club, the Korean dads (and/or moms) seem to be very much into their daughters' games, coming along and watching closely over them at every practice session. There's no goofing off. No texting friends. On any given day there might be eight or 10 parents out on the range, short game area or practice green, filming and critiquing their respective kids sessions, making sure they work on what their coach wants them to work on. Rarely do I see American girls who have that kind of support and involvement from their parents.

At my club, there are a couple US junior girls who are very good, but I don't think I have ever seen their parents around. One girl is on the HS golf team....the MEN''S HS golf team. There aren't enough women who can play the game at that level to have a women's team around here, unless you include the Koreans. And for some reason, they don't seem interested in HS golf. They tend to skip right over it, focusing on more serious levels of competition like AJGA state and regional events. Or the Hurricane Tour. They have private coaches, not HS coaches. They are truly serious about their golf. At least...... their parents are.

So, back to your question of which tour would be tougher, a KLPGA or USLPGA, I'd bet on the Korean Tour, though the coaching here is probably better (which is why so many S. Korean girls come here and have US coaches). Good question. Good food for thought.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:02 pm

I've touched on this before but in Korea golf is cool, even for girls. When you become a successful Korean golfer, you get not only respect from society but cachet too. You get to rub elbows with actual celebs and appear on game and variety shows. (Former world #1 Jiyai Shin once featured on the original Korean version of "Masked Singer"). It seems fairly glamorous. Not like here, where American women pros face not only indifference but actual hostility, from people like Hank Haney who should be supporting them. American women golfers get so marginalized, like so nasty and unfair. I don't blame them for turning their back on this sport.

Also something I notice is KLPGA as a group has the very best swings on earth, and it's not even close. You just don't see the kind of wonky, idiosyncratic moves that are so common here. There are no Natalie Gulbis or Lexi Thompson type moves. Japan is another land of weird ass swings.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:56 pm

In Korea this weekend they had something called the Inbee Invitational (Inbeetational!), a team cup match pitting twelve KLPGA all-stars against an assorted twelve from the LPGA and JLPGA. The "foreign" team featured Inbee, So Yeon, Na Yeon Choi, Jiyai Shin and other distinguished LPGA champions. Also on this team was my favorite Asian golf babe, Ha Neul Kim. On paper this was a very strong squad, yet they still got rolled by the KLPGA home team. And all appeared to have fun, while enjoying a camaraderie that came across as dignified and organic. Which is to say nobody carried on like a bunch of attention-starved little tykes at their first sleepover.