The Match - III

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

The Match - III

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:21 am

Anyone watch "The Match" with Phil, Charles, Peyton and Steph? I did not watch, mainly because I did not know when it was on. Post-match comments were that Charles was not as awful as expected, had a number of good lines and having a tour pro on one team was too much for the Peyton/Steph duo to compete against.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: The Match - III

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:02 am

I saw bits and pieces of it, not the whole event.

I was in the pro shop hanging out talking golf swings, et al, with the two pros all afternoon yesterday (since the course was too packed to bother playing) and "The Match" was on the TV. We had some good conversation going, and as a result, weren't really paying much attention to the TV. I did see a few shots, however, and have to say, I immediately saw that Charles' swing, surprisingly, looked a lot better than the last time I saw it. Two other things I noticed: Phil did not seem to be swinging out if his shoes off the tee, like I am used to seeing him do and Steph Curry looked like a fag in his skinny sweat pants. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) Oh, and one other thing. I realized how much I coveted Peyton's consistent draw off the tee. Looked effortless. But like I said, I didn't see most shots from the broadcast, so maybe I just saw some of his good ones.

I hung out there from about 2:45 until nearly 6. I even changed the channel to TNT so we could watch it at about 3:10. But, then we all got involved in our discussion, while Phil and the boys played on, without any of us seeming to give two shits. For me, anyway, I guess the opportunity to spend time interacting with live people, talking golf and life, person to person, outweighed the need to watch more TV.

For the record, we all wore masks.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:35 pm

I didn't tune in but only because Phil. I can't really stand him anymore. He is like a walking mid-life crisis.

@DougE I wear similar kind of pants. We all do, that is to say everybody around where I live. Struck me as a little odd when the trend first started but I have come to like them from a functional perspective. Pant legs that are not tapered, especially athletic type pants, inevitably flop around and collect dirt and grime. They also tend to get caught in your bicycle chain but that's not really a fair argument. Anyways tapered just feels more active and athletic. But I get it, they are a queer look until you get used to it. Also I'm a different age group. Right now I'm in a gray area, caught in between phases of life. Unlike most of you I am forced to choose between looking kind of like a baby boomer, and kind of like a millennial. I have to go younger, since I look young, am thin, and live in a big city. I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything here by the way. Generation gaps exist for a reason. Just pointing out I guess, that tapered athletic pants are not necessarily 100% faggotry, they are actually functionally superior in certain ways. I know we are talking about golf course and not the gym, but the same arguments can apply.
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:30 pm

DougE = Traditionalist. (I know, that translates to OLD to some of you.)

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:01 am

This is as good an occasion as any to start a fashion/pants argument. Doug, I also consider myself a traditionalist. But one has to pick his battles. We all use newfangled smartphones for example. My point is that pants, like telephones, is not necessarily the medium through which one should express their traditionalist inclinations. This is something I have learned the hard way, from living in a fashion-focused town, and with a woman who works in apparel. Pants in particular, for better or worse, are a strong bellwether of current trends. Updating one's pants regularly to meet the style of the day goes a long way in creating an overall "with it" appearance. Mostly just playing devil's advocate here. If anything Dougie I'd recommend trying a pair of casual jogger type pants, in the privacy of your own home obviously, perhaps from somewhere like www.uniqlo.com (Adam Scott's brand, you like Adam Scott right?). See how you like them. You can return them if you are unsatisfied. By the way another benefit of these pants is that they better highlight one's cool footwear. I know how you like your footwear Doug.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:54 pm

@legitimatebeef I do wear tapered-leg warm up/jogger pants around the house, to the grocery store and even sometimes when practicing at the course. See pic below. Just not super skinny sweats. It may work for youngsters, but I stick with things that work on me. I also wear only higher tech 2015-2021 style, specifically-designed golf pants on the course. I am not an old fart, golf fashion-wise or otherwise. On the contrary. I dress like a golf pro from the present era when I am on the course. I have been accused of being the most fashion conscious member in the club.

And, for the record, I started out in the fashion industry (in fashion-focused New York City, btw) early in my career, in front of the camera. Fashion has ALWAYS been important to my personal brand. One look in my closet and anyone with even a half-awareness of fashion would be able to tell that about me. I just choose to wear things that fit my personality, most of which leans more towards a traditionalist. Albeit, a traditionalist who is extremely open to new trends. My wife is jealous of my wardrobe and asks for my help when she adds to hers. I am definitely NOT stuck in the 80s or 90s. I haven't worn a pair of actual heavy weight cotton khaki style pants on the golf course (except maybe in winter when no one is out there) in 20 years.

Like you, my body is in good enough shape to wear pretty much whatever I want without making me look old and/or fat. However, there is some level of age appropriateness that one must consider so as not to seem a bit ridiculous for one's advancing age. Maybe Mick Jagger can get away with it, but until I reach that level of fame, I will have to stick with staying somewhat conservative, yet up-to-date and fashion aware, without getting too trendy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:29 pm

Back to the topic of the Match III, I watched it (DVR'd it and watched later) and was really surprised at how bad both Curry and Manning were. Sure they can hit the long ball and perhaps that's a major reason why their handicap is as low as it is (1 and 5 respectively), but their inability to keep the ball (two balls, no less) out of the desert and in play, in conjunction with a poor short game especially on the green was shocking. All Mickelson had to do was leave Barkley a "somewhat easy" shot (for him, or anybody really) and rely on Charles decent putting game (even if it looks awful) to close the deal. In the end, it was not a close game...
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:42 am

sjduffers wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:29 pm
... was really surprised at how bad both Curry and Manning were. Sure they can hit the long ball and perhaps that's a major reason why their handicap is as low as it is (1 and 5 respectively), but their inability to keep the ball (two balls, no less) out of the desert and in play, in conjunction with a poor short game especially on the green was shocking. ...
Do you think they are like us and suffer nerves being on TV? Yes, they are public performers but doing something at which they are not experts may bring on the jitters.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:11 am

sjduffers wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:29 pm
Back to the topic of the Match III...
You are correct. Got out of hand.

@legitimatebeef, we need to move these last few posts to that new fashion thread you were suggesting we start. Can you do that or do you want me to do it?

Of course, if you want me to do it, you'll need to give me some instruction on how to do so :facepalm .

I suppose we should also delete this useless post at the same time.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:36 am

Doug, I am glad we had this little shouting match. Maybe try practicing some golf in those adidas? It will feel pretty good, I bet.

As far as organizing posts, I really don't feel like it. As long as a discussion is organic it does not need to be properly filed away IMO. Actually I don't consider it that far off-topic, since it started with a silly exhibition golf match consisting of 75% amateurs. What much else is there to talk about. However a fashion thread does seem pretty fundamental for any golf message board. There isn't one already?

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:38 am

Oops, I see that you already do practice. Ok, maybe try sneaking on the course for some super twilight action. I dunno, just trying to subvert golf norms I guess. The old country club culture deserves to be tweaked IMO.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:45 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:42 am
Do you think they are like us and suffer nerves being on TV? Yes, they are public performers but doing something at which they are not experts may bring on the jitters.
Perhaps, but they seemed pretty relaxed during the back and forth with the commentators (every cart was wired for sound and video). Perhaps the greens were much faster than what they are used to, but Steph has played at a couple of Tour events, so I am not sure. I was much more impressed by Barkley's lack of stuttering in his swing: I thought he was actually pretty decent all around, especially for a 25 handicap.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:46 pm

SJD - I agree. Barkley wasn't nearly as much a liability as predicted, largely because he prepped. Phil played pretty well to start, helped by some decent tee shots from Charles, which allowed enough strategic leeway to go 4-up and put pressure on Steph/Payton. Steph looked like a mid single-digit at best and Payton looked like maybe a 10.
Bluto did it

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:08 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:46 pm
SJD - I agree. Barkley wasn't nearly as much a liability as predicted, largely because he prepped. Phil played pretty well to start, helped by some decent tee shots from Charles, which allowed enough strategic leeway to go 4-up and put pressure on Steph/Payton. Steph looked like a mid single-digit at best and Payton looked like maybe a 10.
Good summary. Agreed 100%.