2021 LPGA

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

2021 LPGA

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:21 pm

The Tournament of Champions is being held. It looks odd with virtually no Asian players in attendance. I am not sure why there is a paucity of players. The LPGA took winners from the last 3 years and still only have a field of 25.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: 2021 LPGA

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:11 am

I think just you solved your own riddle. Since this is a winners-only event, and since Asian players are largely absent, and since the total field appears small, the conclusion seems rather obvious. Asians win more LPGA events than whitey.
Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:13 am

But why did everyone from Asia (and perhaps Europe) stay home?

Ahh, I suspect it is the schedule. The next LPGA Tournament is not until March. Considering the hassles of international travel and the COVID situation in the USA, why make the trip for one event?
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:42 am

On top of that it's a pro-am, full of good old boys and ex-jocks who probably hold little or no appeal for the Asians. In fact they probably scare them.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:57 pm

Annika played in last week's event. She made the cut but finished "last". I did not seem any of the tournament. I always like her and when she was winning everything, it seemed like the LPGA was getting some attention.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:11 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:57 pm
Annika played in last week's event. She made the cut but finished "last". I did not seem any of the tournament. I always like her and when she was winning everything, it seemed like the LPGA was getting some attention.
I watched a little bit of it. She looked a bit rusty, but I still wish I could play like she did. :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:05 pm

One of the first people Trump tried to hide behind after pissing everyone off with the riots. :devil

legitimatebeef

Golfweek: How misguided course setups are holding back women’s golf

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:41 am

A very in-depth and fact-based article. Interested to hear your thoughts on this subject.

Let them score: How misguided course setups are holding back women’s golf

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:00 pm

@legitimatebeef Read the story and agree.

I think they should try some shorter set-ups to see the possibilities when these ladies have mid to short irons in their hands, on more approach shots. Maybe the LPGA would see more attention and better ratings when the woman have a few more opportunities start to make things a lot more exciting...on a regular basis.

I played behind Thidapa (Jasmine) Suwannapura just last week who was playing with a fairly competitive regional Amateur (who I've come to know casually over the last couple months via forum interactions and a couple face-to-face meetings at WM), along with his two buds. All three guys seemed good. It appeared that she played the same tees as they did, a set up of about 6500 yrds. (Don--the guy I know--usually plays a 7000+ yard set-up, I think.) I don't know who shot the best score that day, but from what I could tell being behind them, she had some real long shots into greens when they had shorter irons for theirs. She didn't seem to be struggling, but having a chance to really score well, 6500+ yards is probably too much. Yes, she's a Women's British Open (2019) runner-up and all, but I don't care how good you are. If you have to hit 3W and hybrid to most long par 4s and have no chance of reaching par 5s in two, you have no realistic avenue to shooting scores in the real low red numbers.

I would think if the LPGA set the tees to a more realistic 5900-6200 range, with the talent these women have, we'd see some more exciting golf out of them, particularly when there is more risk-reward in the equation. I watch a lot of LPGA golf and have so much respect for their abilities. But layups are boring to watch. Yet, they're a necessity when your chances to get there are slim and none. I can certainly relate as an old, worn out senior player. "Lay-up" is a major part of my course management vocabulary.

As an aside, FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised to get the opportunity to play with Don and Jasmine someday. He's been showing up at Worthington more often the last month and from what I know, he and Jasmine are pretty good friends. For now though, I want no part of that. My game is already low on confidence lately. That's all I need. He's a +2 index (guesstimate) and she's an LPGA star. :nope That's all I need. A girl kicking my butt, not only by 15 strokes, but in distance with every club in her bag as well. :facepalm

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:24 pm

Very good read. Interesting analysis. On occasion I’ll tune in to the LPGA but not very often. However the distances they hit shots is far more in line with my game than the men’s tour. The chart at the end was compelling. Swing speeds and distance. The math is there. Swing speed 85= 190 yds. If the par 5 is 500 yds that leaves 310 in. They can’t get there with a cannon.

By all means move them up. Let them score. Risk/reward. Get some interest going. We all know the physical differences.
Tee it up!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:43 pm

After Doug’s post I thought I would expand some. That 85mph swing speed equates relativity to my current game. Due to injury and age I’ve had to relent to the fact that any tee box over 6100 is just too long. Hate to admit it but, alas, its true.
Tee it up!

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:57 pm

CeeBee wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:43 pm
After Doug’s post I thought I would expand some. That 85mph swing speed equates relativity to my current game. Due to injury and age I’ve had to relent to the fact that any tee box over 6100 is just too long. Hate to admit it but, alas, its true.
Looking at that chart in the article, which is the same as most other swing speed charts I've seen, I should be somewhat comfortable/capable of playing the 6525 yards I play most of the time. My swing speed has actually increased over the last couple years due to swing changes and focus, to about 96-98 mph, with a more consistent, slight baby draw and more boring flight (when I'm swinging it well). At least, last time I checked on the indoor simulator. When the course isn't wet, my total distance off the tee (carry and roll) is usually between 235 and 250. I've hit many much longer, but those are usually aided by a fairly firm course (and a cart path occasionally). During this past winter, distance has been a bit less, though not unexpected. I wore a lot of extra clothes this winter and played some pretty cold days on very muddy courses, same as you, I'm sure.

I would hope, when conditions are back to good and temps return to the 70s, I will continue to play the blue tees without too much pressure on my game. Last year I had injuries that hurt my game, as well as a long stretch when I was on the DL for 16 weeks. So, my scores and my stats were not as good as the previous year. But, the year before, playing from the blue tees all year, I was averaging nearly 50% GIRs. Assuming my game is able to get back to that this year, I'm comfortable, based on that chart in the article, I am playing from a set of tees my distance supports. Albeit, not with great ease. I hit a lot of long irons and hybrids into certain greens.

Eventually, I'll move up to the white tees more often, but for now, as long as I continue to get it out there the way I have been able to do, I'll suffer a little. It's good for my long game which makes me a better ballstriker overall. It also means I need to continually work on my short game to keep it sharp. And, at our age, we know, a good short game is really what we need to keep the scores down.

To your point about injury and age, I feel you. I have an uneasy feeling that my left shoulder will be the detriment to my game this year. It seems to be getting worse. If and when I have no choice but to have another surgery on it, all of the above goes out the window and I move to the white tees for the long haul when I return from the recovery. I'm just not there yet.

Sorry guys, I know this thread was supposed to be about the LPGA, so I apologize for talking more about my game. I was just relating to CeeBee's last post, which was so much deeper than his normal one-sentence response. It got me all fired up to engage him, since I could relate to his message. You guys haven't reached our advanced Social Security/Medicare-receiving age yet, except for our mentor, BK.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:45 pm

Back to something relative to the LPGA. Kinda.

2019 Women's British Open runner up, Thidapa (Jasmine) Suwannapura with her good friend (and my new acquaintance) Don. I'd say both are pretty damn-good players. I saw the cart/bag pic a few months back when Don was showing off his new Linksmaster bag, which he was also reviewing on his golf site. I actually zeroed in on the name on the other bag and asked if he knew Thidapa. Then he posted the pic of him with her on his site for me to see and explained they were good friends. So, I wasn't surprised to see her playing with him last week at Worthington. He lives in the area and so does she. In the DC area, I think. A few miles miles down the road.

I copied and pasted these pics from his site without his consent. BTW, you can click on each to enlarge.

Sorry Don, if you see this. Just showing you off to my friends. ;)

Don owns a site (with a few others) called Tees & Coins. He designs and is a big collector of custom head covers, et al. He designed a putter cover which now sits on the bag of my favorite LPGA player, Ariya (May) Jutanugarn. He's friends with her, too, I'm guessing through his friendship with Jasmine, who is also a good friend of Ariya. Both are Thai. I think Don is too, though he sounds 100% American. Seems like a real nice guy. Wish I was good enough to play some golf with him. I'm sure it'd be fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:14 pm

Cool inside edition Doug. Glad you bring up Ariya Jutanugarn, because she was briefly cited in the article, as the player who makes more eagles per hole than anyone else on earth male or female. That is an interesting exception to the whole argument that women's courses need to be scaled back.

My own theory is that the women's tour simply hasn't been affected as much by the modern chase for swing speed. It is obvious in men's golf, with all the launch monitoring and fitness, that they're actively pursuing higher swing speeds. I think that women have plenty of physical potential to hit the ball far enough on current LPGA setups to gain the same kind of advantages that PGAT long hitters enjoy, and Ariya is the textbook example. As a whole, women golfers have not made that same strategic shift, for whatever reason. I don't think it's physical limitation though. Women's golf is way less lucrative than men's, so the talent pool is way more shallow. In an alternate universe where women's golf paid the biggest bucks, there'd be a lot more women who hit it like Ariya.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:18 pm

Ariya (her friends call her May) doesn't even carry a driver most of the time. And she still eagles more than any of them.

She's actually quite funny as you will see in this video of a charity event at Charleston CC. Bill Murray is in it too early on and is quite witty himself. She plays with Neil, one of the guys from the "No Laying Up" weekly golf podcast on Apple.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:17 pm

Ariya is a very engaging young women. I will pull for her in the future.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:03 am

Love Megha Ganne, the 17 year old, high schooler/amateur competitor from NJ who is blowing away most of the professional U.S. Open field so far after three rounds in the books. Not only does she have a great game, but she is a breath of fresh air. Though I'd love to see Lexi finish it off with the win (she presently has the 54-hole lead by one), if it comes down to her and Megha, I don't know who I'll root for.

Olympic is playing extremely tough.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:31 am

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:23 pm

I honestly hate this crap, whenever some young amateur wanders into the frame acting like golf is so easy breezy and what's the big deal, all you uptight overthinking adults with your stress and serious faces. Why don't you lighten up and go eat some ice cream? I guess we're lucky it's not another 11 year old this time.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:40 pm

I was excited to see Annika come out of retirement and play in the USGA Senior Women's Open this past week. A few more wrinkles but otherwise she looked very good, still strong as an ox. Her wire to wire victory was not totally expected considering the 13 year layoff. It was fun playing golf in the morning and then watching her beat the other ladies in the afternoon.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:51 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:40 pm
I was excited to see Annika come out of retirement and play in the USGA Senior Women's Open this past week. A few more wrinkles but otherwise she looked very good, still strong as an ox. Her wire to wire victory was not totally expected considering the 13 year layoff. It was fun playing golf in the morning and then watching her beat the other ladies in the afternoon.
Yes, I was rooting for her all the way. I used to follow her closely back in the day. She was my favorite lady out there back then. Her winning percentage was even a point better than Tiger's I think.

At my recovery rate, I'm afraid it might be 13 years before I'm back out there. So it was good to see how in command she was of her game after such a long competitive layoff. Even in her first tournament back on the LPGA earlier this year, you could see she hadn't lost it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:05 am

I know that I just renounced my golf fandom but the LPGA is doing a little New Jersey swing this year. Atlantic City this week and West Caldwell next week, which is less than an hour from here. If the leaderboard turns out in such a way that I don't find offensive, we'll probably attend on the weekend.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:42 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:05 am
f the leaderboard turns out in such a way that I don't find offensive, we'll probably attend on the weekend.
I'll be jealous if you do. Please take and post pics. Love those girls ladies.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Gonna throw out an incendiary opinion but not to troll, I genuinely stand by it: Nelly Korda is the #1 ranked player in the world but I believe the rankings right now don't reflect reality. Jin Young Ko is still The Best.

Her last two finishes are T2 and 1. She has just tied the LPGA record for consecutive rounds in the 60s. Last year, she set the LPGA record for consecutive holes without a birdie. Now that she is back in form after a short injury slump, it is plain to see that the quality of her game remains strong as ever. Credit to Korda for gathering a lot of world ranking points while JYK struggled. And, she is an exceptional player, indisputably elite, all around game is pretty much beyond reproach. Better than JYK in some aspects even. But mentally, JYK holds the edge. And a

Also consider how both have played since they changed place in the rankings. As #1 Nelly Korda has been mediocre, whereas JYK has played with a seeming determination to get back on top. As of Sunday, she has nearly gotten there. I know this is pretty elaborate post from someone who declared he wanted out of golf fandom last week but what can I say, I am now interested in this fight for women's #1 ranking. And a big fan of Jin Young Ko and the way she plays and carries herself on the course. So focused and icy cool and regal. If there is such a thing as an ideal temperament or disposition for golf, I believe this lady is as close as you can find. Not to mention her ballstriking is otherworldly. I see her as kind of an Inbee Park Mark II, like an improved next gen version. I missed a very good chance to see her at last weeks LPGA event on account my LA trip. Sucks because it was a chance to see her in full flight. Oh well, can probably go watch her someday in either LA or San Diego tournaments.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:51 am

This year Nelly Korda and Jin Young Ko have each won 3 times and their total money earnings are close, with Korda on top. It looks like their close positions in the current standings is accurate. Whichever one plays well down the stretch will deserve the number 1 ranking.

Which brings me to another thought. When is one of the women going to demonstrate a bit of staying power? Everyone seems to blow hot & cold season to season.
Let's Play 36