dogs: 2

Re: The Tiger Thread

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:45 pm

It has started. The first 4 pictures on ESPN.go.com/golf are all tiger
Keep it short stupid.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:52 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Sjduffers is a NoCal guy right? I hope he attends.
Right. I am a NorCal guy, but I won't attend, sorry. The missus and I will be in Hawaii for some R&R. I played there once, and it's a very nice course. I'll be setting my DVR and watch some bits when we get back. Hoping that Tiger makes the cut: asking for more is probably too much...
I'm gonna go low this time...

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:13 am

lol

That is all.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

bryan k

Re: Swing confessions

Post by bryan k » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:37 pm

Jesus...Tiger's making another comeback.

The only golf tournament where I actually watched most of and paid attention during the whole thing was the 2008 Masters. In my opinion, that was probably his best tournament ever. Back then, we had no idea.............

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Having not played competitively in a year, while slowly recovering from multiple back surgeries, I'd say making the cut is probably a lot to expect. However, if he did make the cut, had no pain and had some semblance of a decent game, albeit a little rusty, I think expecting more the next time might be realistic. So much will depend on whether he has changed his swing enough to not injure himself again.

For those who never saw Tiger at his best, you don't know what you missed. He was Jordan Spieth putting, Jason Day and Dustin in length, Zach Johnson with his wedges, with a little Bubba creativity all mixed in and all on their best days of their careers....and he did it nearly every week. 25% winning percentage in a field of 120-150 every week. Amazing. Yes he is older and has lost his game. But just seeing a glimpse of the old Tiger is worth watching for me. And the CBS, NBC and the Golf Channel are all having orgasms, just thinking about what Tiger will do for their ratings. Like him or not.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:18 pm

I like your comparison of how his game was.

Except there is no one as good now as he was with his irons. Stenson might get close. But pre 2008 tiger was gaining 3 strokes on the field each round from 125-250 yards. It was absolutely astonishing. It was like seeing Stenson at the open this year but each week.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:20 am

jasonfish11 wrote:I like your comparison of how his game was.

Except there is no one as good now as he was with his irons. Stenson might get close. But pre 2008 tiger was gaining 3 strokes on the field each round from 125-250 yards. It was absolutely astonishing. It was like seeing Stenson at the open this year but each week.
Yes, you are absolutely right, Jason. I missed that part in my description. I guess I was just so blinded by his other incredible skills. The fairway wood shots to the green from 250+ out were like 125-yard wedge shots for the common player. His 2i stingers? Nobody hits that shot like he did. You really had to see him play regularly to appreciate how unbelievably good he truly was.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:24 am

jasonfish11 wrote:I like your comparison of how his game was.

Wasn't he ridiculous from 200+ yrds out vs. the field? That's the one I'm remembering, or at least I think I do.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:00 pm

Yes. He was the last year he played too. So that never changed
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:28 am

An oldie from Letterman

Top 10 Tiger Woods Text Messages
10. I’m sorry, which mistress is this again?
9. I was dreaming about you when I was passed outi n the street.
8. RU a cop?
7. You’re breaking up with me for Lee Trevino?
6. Sorry about last night–I had the yips.
5. Did I leave a green jacket at your place?
4. My wife has the car. I’ll have to pick you up in the golf cart.
3. Why aren’t the LPGA girls interested?
2. Hey Tiger…it’s Tiger…Wanna have sex tonight?
1. Thanks for changing your grip.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:19 pm

C'mon bk show some love. I do not quite agree with fish's assessment on Stenson's iron play. Although he strikes the ball better than most he doesn't get it done like Tiger did. Spieth pulled it off for one year. Mcilroy has almost disappeared. Let's not lose track of how many straight cuts Tiger made. DOES ANYBODY BESIDES DougE and fish REMEMBER THAT? You guys are killing me.

No one will ever get close. If he plays, I watch.
Tee it up!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Another perspective:
I was talking to some people about his WD and started thinking. Maybe he just completely quit caring about golf?

There is a lot of talk about how good of a father he has become, how he's trying to fix his wrongdoings from the past ect. What if these last 14 months he really enjoyed not playing golf, and hanging out with his kids. Who could blame him, he had been 100% super focused on golf for 38 years.

The problem for him is he has made commitments to his sponsors and others that he was going to attempt to come back. I mean he isn't Anthony Kim, he can't just walk away. So he now is stuck in a bind between honoring what he's told people and really not wanting to follow through.

It will be interesting when/if he comes back to see if there seems to be a lack of spark, aka Wie-ism. After seeing the dominant Tiger era I'd personally rather him just not come back than come back but not care. No need for him to half ass it, there are a ton of people on tour that are half as good as he was, no need for 1 more.
Keep it short stupid.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:50 pm

I think Notah Begay may have had it this morning. Tiger is really into the comeback, but after being at the Ryder Cup, and watching them up close (especially the Reed-McIllroy match), he realized his game was not where it needed to be. He also mentioned that he may not be quite up to shape in walking four rounds of tournament golf.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:02 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:Another perspective:
I was talking to some people about his WD and started thinking. Maybe he just completely quit caring about golf?

There is a lot of talk about how good of a father he has become, how he's trying to fix his wrongdoings from the past ect. What if these last 14 months he really enjoyed not playing golf, and hanging out with his kids. Who could blame him, he had been 100% super focused on golf for 38 years.

The problem for him is he has made commitments to his sponsors and others that he was going to attempt to come back. I mean he isn't Anthony Kim, he can't just walk away. So he now is stuck in a bind between honoring what he's told people and really not wanting to follow through.

It will be interesting when/if he comes back to see if there seems to be a lack of spark, aka Wie-ism. After seeing the dominant Tiger era I'd personally rather him just not come back than come back but not care. No need for him to half ass it, there are a ton of people on tour that are half as good as he was, no need for 1 more.
Interesting theory. Maybe not completely quit caring about golf, but maybe the intensity is gone, or has gone dormant or whatever, or just can't muster the appropriate PGA TOUR level intensity. If mentally he is a lot different now I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe he got lazy during his time off. He does appear to still be in top physical shape these days though. I am guessing there are technical issues with the game possibly yips or whatever. Really hope it's nothing serious. If he can manage to piece together a pro-caliber game then he not only is entitled to get out there and compete, he is obligated.
Build a bridge and get over it.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:16 pm

I think there's credence to the possibility that Tiger may have lost his intensity. Think about it. The guy was dominating junior golf events since he was 7 or 8. By the time he was 30, he'd won literally hundreds of golf tournaments (junior, amateur, college, PGA, exhibition, etc).

He's a competitive guy, but I think winning golf tournaments might've gotten old.

You could argue that he refocused his competitive fire towards other pursuits: women chasing, lifting weights, trying to hang with Navy Seals, gambling, trying to 'perfect' his golf swing with multiple swing changes, who knows what else.
Bluto did it

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:24 pm

I have always wondered about what guys who once were "scratch" think now that they have a family, play twice a month in corporate scrambles and would be lucky to break 80. I have never been there and so far I don't have to think about "when I used to be okay at golf." Maybe a "never was" is in a better position than a "used to be."

So now we have Tiger. The greatest "used to be" in history. Would retiring be a better fate than playing like a wannabe?
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:40 pm

Ouch that hurts. I'm happy if I can play two full rounds a month and my handicap is as low as it's ever been
Keep it short stupid.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:12 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:So now we have Tiger. The greatest "used to be" in history. Would retiring be a better fate than playing like a wannabe?
This is so on point.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:23 am

jattruia wrote:
bkuehn1952 wrote:So now we have Tiger. The greatest "used to be" in history. Would retiring be a better fate than playing like a wannabe?
This is so on point.
Possibly. But when a person has won that many times on tour, they have sort of earned the right to play out their careers however they feel like. Almost all the greats of golf played on past their prime. It's sort of the nature of the sport. There isn't the same kind of ruthless natural selection as in other sports which prevents older people from participating. It's not completely out of the ordinary for old golfers to catch fire and win some tournaments. Example: Ernie Els won an Open as a washed-up, past his prime player on the fringe of competitiveness--he even failed to qualify for the Masters that same year. If he had packed it in at the first signs of career decline, he would not have that jug. Same with Darren Clarke. We might not like watching a elderly Tiger Woods (he's an old 40 blah blah blah) struggle but let's face it, he has earned the right to do so. Jerks!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Both Greg Norman and Nick Faldo mostly decided to hang it up rather than be ceremonial golfers. Arnold Palmer and Gary Player embraced the role.

I certainly hope Tiger returns to golf in a healthy and competitive state. I really don't want to see him struggling to make cuts and generally become the Briny Baird of the Tour.
Let's Play 36

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:19 pm

He has every right to do so. Just not sure he has the mentality to struggle to make cuts week in and week out.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:17 pm

So he thinks he will come back strong.

Apparently he did an interview with Charlie Rose that is airing on PBS. Here is a snippet of the interview.

Rose: Do you think you'll win 18 majors?
TW: To be honest with you, no
Rose: Have you been able to accept that?
TW: I've accepted I'm going to get more.

So he is either confident he has a lot of great golf left, or he is delusional. I lean towards delusional, but if anyone can come back after 3 major back surgeries in their 40s and win 5 majors its probably Tiger.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:52 am

So is it official enough this thread can be re-started? Or do we need to make sure he doesn't hobble off the course during the pro-am today?
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:31 am

jasonfish11 wrote:So is it official enough this thread can be re-started? Or do we need to make sure he doesn't hobble off the course during the pro-am today?
This thread may not be re-started until Tiger has completed 18 holes of competitive golf. We have slightly more than a day to wait. :yess
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:10 am

I actually don't mind being the world's last TW fan. I am a bit of a non-conformist so it suits me fine.