The Tiger Thread

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: The Tiger Thread

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:53 am

This whole thing has the look of a career ending problem. Months of recovery and rehab and there remains a major issue.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:13 pm

cash him outside how bow dah
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:40 am

Fuck it, it was a good run. Not really talking about Tiger, but about me as a golf-on-tv viewer. There were some real highlights I tell you what. Ultimately though, you just knew that it had to end at some point, and we'd all have to get back to our boring lives. You can only be a hardcore fan of TV golf for so long. Nobody is really able to sustain a high level of fan-interest through multiple generations. And there's really nothing wrong with that. Personally I am looking forward to more Sundays watching my next-favorite golfer in action. That's right motherfuckers, I am talking about myself. :fu
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:39 am

“After receiving daily treatment the last several days on his on-going back spasms, Tiger Woods has again been advised by doctors to limit all activities and will not hold a press conference Wednesday,” officials announced in a statement.

When one has to withdraw from a Press Conference, things are rapidly sliding out of control. :facepalm
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:00 am

I'm hoping the real story is that Tiger got sick of dealing with everyone's bullshit.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:05 am

Everyone wants Tiger to come out and announce a retirement but that is pretty retarded. Golfers don't really do that. Remember when a fifty-something Greg Norman showed up at the Open one year and entered the field just to impress his new chickie Chris Evert, and ended up almost winning the damn thing? That was possible because he never announced a retirement. In team sports, you retire if you have no contract you literally have nowhere to play. In golf, if you have exemptions, you can play however long you want.

If Tiger chooses to close out his career with a sad string of failed attempts then who cares. It's just frickin golf, the guy is headed for the Hall of Fame and has tons of money in the bank. People break out the violins and go "ohhh, soooooo sad, such a shame" pretending like they are in a position to pity the guy, as if their lives and careers are so much better, okay.
insufficient data

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:30 am

Let's face it though; if any golfer ever announces retirement, it'll be Tiger.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:32 pm

And end scene
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:23 pm

It used to seem like TW had it all. For a while there, his bounty of blessings was astronomical. They piled up halfway to the moon it seemed like. What's going on now makes sense I guess. The dude lived hard in his prime. Talking about all the off course adventuring, with the bitches, and then with the vanity military training skydiving skiing and whatever else. But mainly it was the intensity with which he played. The way he swung in competition, he pushed the body to the limit. Probably the mind too. He played golf harder than anybody ever. Talking about all the crazy body twisting rescue shots, the 200y hooking 8-irons, 3-irons out the lips of fairway bunkers and what not. Remember he broke his achilles making a crazy squatting swing at #17 at Augusta. And the whiplash driver swings which were pretty much the norm. Grinding for 2-3 years to learn a Sean Foley stack and tilt influenced swing couldn't have helped either. On top of all that he probably jogged a little too much for a guy with that lifestyle and physically repetitive job stress.

Post surgery he seemed to recover fine but once he got back to competition he still played intense, still swung hard and fast and I'm guessing fuct up his back that way. Unless he can learn to play a radically different golf game, a version 4.0 or 5.0 or whatever, I don't think the back can withstand anymore of Tiger Woods 3.0 level of golf. This will probably also get the attention of guys like Day who swing hard and have back issues.
insufficient data

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:18 pm

I agree 100%. The problem is that as you said, he is intense in the mind and there is no f*ing way that he learns to swing within himself and I don't think his ego would let him be outdriven by Rory, Rickie, Dustin, Bubba and co... Still, he does not need that kind of distance to win if his irons, short game and putting can be just approaching what they all once were.
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 pm

sjduffers wrote:I agree 100%. The problem is that as you said, he is intense in the mind and there is no f*ing way that he learns to swing within himself and I don't think his ego would let him be outdriven by Rory, Rickie, Dustin, Bubba and co... Still, he does not need that kind of distance to win if his irons, short game and putting can be just approaching what they all once were.

Indeed. In the 2nd big era of TW (starting around 2005) no longer enjoyed a big advantage off the tee, but with irons, wedge and putter he still killed em all. I like to think the best iron player of the modern era. Pin high all day long, just a brutal consistency into the greens. That and putting is how major championships are/were won.

:bawl
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed May 03, 2017 6:31 pm

I'm starting to see that Tiger perhaps benefitted from a weak era. He was still awesome though. And he should take some credit for lifting golf out of a weak era. He changed the game competition-wise, and also revitalized it for the fans. He is second to Nicklaus in majors, but I'd say Tiger's impact was greater. I am about equally impressed with their major totals. Tiger did it in a much more cutthroat environment than Nicklaus. In Jack's day, there were what, like 10 million people in the entire world? Something like that. A lot fewer people, playing for a lot fewer bucks. I'm guessing the atmosphere was a lot more chill than it is now.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:10 am

I watched a bit of golf last weekend. It was sort of odd seeing a Bridgestone ad Tiger featured. The gist of the message was why play the most popular ball when one can play the best ball. The message is okay, but a video featuring someone driving the ball who actually is incapable of performing that act seemed off.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sat May 06, 2017 8:46 am

My first reaction was the same as yours - really, showing a commercial about a guy who can't play. But I guess if you are paying him to play your ball, even if he isn't playing, then you should use him. The second reaction was much deeper - think national geographic show - the herd is in the water going about their business and the Tiger stalks his prey - quite good actually.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat May 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Alas, once again the truth gets in the way of advertising. But that tends to happen when you deal in LIES :fk

(not singling out the Bridgestone people, but rather talking about ALL purveyors of golf-oriented shit)
insufficient data

DougE

Postby DougE » Sat May 06, 2017 12:43 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Alas, once again the truth gets in the way of advertising. But that tends to happen when you deal in LIES :fk

(not singling out the Bridgestone people, but rather talking about ALL purveyors of golf-oriented shit)

I like to give them the benefit of the doubt and call their claims "wishful thinking, over-the-top exaggerations of which might be true to a small degree for 1-2% of users and up to 50% of Iron Byrons."

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:33 pm

This guy is so cheap, he swims down to the floor of the ocean to get shellfish for free.
insufficient data

Return to “Golf on TV Forum”