DougE

Re: The Tiger Thread

Post by DougE » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:37 pm

Agree with you both, Beef and Fish.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:28 am

jasonfish11 wrote:I'm excited. I think if you grew up watching or playing golf between 1997 and 2008 you understand why. If you took up golf after that it's probably hard to grasp why anyone cares.

But 97-08 was just so amazing. It isn't that today's players aren't good, they just aren't as good as Tiger was. I mean you watch now and when they are in contention Jordan will shank an iron, or DJ will chunk a chip, ect. When Tiger was in contention he never did that type of stuff. Yeah he was wild w/ his driver but because he knew he WOULD recover. Not that he knew he COULD recover. It was just a whole different level of perfection than you have today. It's hard for me to explain. The possibility of seeing that 1 more season, 1 more month, or even 1 more tournament is too much to not up the excitement levels.
Agree, however watching the Tiger's Greatest Hits on TGC yesterday I was reminded that aside from the big blowout wins, he often had to grind hard, and often looked fallible. At 1999 PGAC he made a double bogey on the 12th hole of the final round and finished by a nose ahead of Sergio. At the 2001 Masters he dueled Phil down the stretch. Hits an awesome 2nd shot approach to the 15th... proceeds to three putt for par from inside 20'. While Phil got up and down for birdie from the bunker. Then in 2005 after the famous chip-in he goes bogey-bogey on the last two holes and came very close--within a couple centimeters--to losing The Masters to Chris DiMarco. :facepalm
vamos a jugar por la playa

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:36 pm

So if I were Tiger (and I really were super healthy/pain free). After my 1st tee shot tomorrow I'd grab my back and fall to my knees. Then stand up and say "just kidding" then skip down the FW to the ball.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:01 pm

While watching some of the greatest hits yesterday I revisited some Tiger mem'ries of my own. Remember when Sergio said that "fried chicken" thing? And then the commissioner of the Euro tour comes out trying to defend him saying that some of Sergio's best friends are colored. :puke :rofl This shit actually happened, these words actually said. :lolz Exhibit 993 in why golf is better with Tiger around.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:06 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:While watching some of the greatest hits yesterday I revisited some Tiger mem'ries of my own. Remember when Sergio said that "fried chicken" thing? And then the commissioner of the Euro tour comes out trying to defend him saying that some of Sergio's best friends are colored. :puke :rofl This shit actually happened, these words actually said. :lolz Exhibit 993 in why golf is better with Tiger around.

Haha I forgot about that. That reminds me of the Alabama Judge saying "Marry was only 14 when she had Jesus." Indicating that Roy Moore wasn't any worse than Joseph.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:34 pm

Tiger is back! I only watched a little, on the way to the course. (I still think the ability to watch TV anywhere you go, in the palm of your hand, is pretty fuckin crazy) I saw that he was cussing up a storm, which in this case (i.e. shooting a 3-under) is a positive sign.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:43 pm

If TW can stick around and make like a top 5 finish, then it will be time for some excitement. Looked kind of scratchy around the greens, hopefully can improve a little bit every round. I don't know though. We have all seen photos of Tiger's backyard chipping paradise. Nobody who wakes up and looks at this every morning should be douching it up around the greens like that.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:58 am

Wife's uncle played in the ProAm on Wednesday. His mate "sponsored" them, $75K to play. They chose Rickie and said he's a cool dude, really nice. And they won. -13 on the front and -8 or -9 on the back.

Last year he played it, he played with DJ.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:21 am

Respectable showing by the big cat. If he can get his chipping a little tighter, and continue to swing pain-free, this may actually be something of which to pay attention. I am hopeful.

Though I certainly don't expect the Tiger of the late 90s-2008 to ever be back, a realistically competitive Tiger, now in his 40s, after nearly 10 years of struggle with his back and knees, not to mention his psychological struggles, would be something to behold. Then maybe, the haters and those who never got to see his magnificent mastery of the game, might just sit up and take notice, and maybe understand why Tiger-likers are so supportive of the man.

But, I don't want to get ahead of myself here. One day at a time. He's done this before.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:45 am

MattF wrote:$75K to play.
WOWEE that's a tremendous amount for one round of golf. I'm guessing that also gets you least a muffin and a coffee for breakfast, and probably some sort of fancy dinner. Still that's a lot! Disproportionate to the amount of fun had I am guessing though. What I mean is that I played yesterday for $26 and had a great time. Now if I were to spend 75k to play golf with a famous professional, would that result in me having 2886 times as much fun as I did yesterday? Doubtful. I don't think that much fun is even possible. Nothing against MattF's in-laws specifically, but some people just have too much fackin money IMO.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:56 am

Was there 2 trackmans in the goodie bag?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:42 am

MattF wrote:Wife's uncle played in the ProAm on Wednesday. His mate "sponsored" them, $75K to play. They chose Rickie and said he's a cool dude, really nice. And they won. -13 on the front and -8 or -9 on the back.

Last year he played it, he played with DJ.
Holy crap! $75,000. :o

I am sure I have not spent that much in total to play golf the past 30 years.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:30 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Was there 2 trackmans in the goodie bag?
legitimatebeef wrote:
WOWEE that's a tremendous amount for one round of golf. I'm guessing that also gets you least a muffin and a coffee for breakfast, and probably some sort of fancy dinner. Still that's a lot! Disproportionate to the amount of fun had I am guessing though. What I mean is that I played yesterday for $26 and had a great time. Now if I were to spend 75k to play golf with a famous professional, would that result in me having 2886 times as much fun as I did yesterday? Doubtful. I don't think that much fun is even possible. Nothing against MattF's in-laws specifically, but some people just have too much fackin money IMO.
legitimatebeef wrote:
Uncle Kenny didn't pay...his billionaire mate paid and didn't even play. And flew Kenny from Miami in his jet. I'm not sure if it was $75K for 3 or 4 or per, but I suspect for the group. No idea about any goodie bags, but I'll hear all about it a week from Sunday.

Sure would be nice to have my own mega rich friends.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Midway through the second round, Tiger is in the lead by himself.

Swear to God, I am not making this up, go check for yourself.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:05 pm

Spinal fusions for everyone!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Looked really good today. Several good chips and pitches along with some solid long game. I don't care what all you experts say. I think the guy has potential.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:29 am

WTF happened?

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 am

From what I saw in R3, it was a tough day on the course. Low score was -2 and only two guys shot that. Tiger didn't look that bad, he just couldn't find "it". Don't sound the alarm just yet. Actually he hung tough and finished decent. Ballstriking still looks good and you know what else, the short putts look very solid as ever. I tend to forget amongst all this mania and gossipy chatter that Tiger Woods is an exceptional putter, always has been.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:04 pm

He is putting great. He's given away a few strokes on par 5's and with his chipping, otherwise he would be 3-5 shots better. And he's hitting driver great. Over all very promising assuming he's pain free.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:44 pm

I'm not looking much into the chipping yet. I've seen a couple people just hit terrible chips due to the grain.

I think everyone should just hold off on judging his chips until he plays next.

Remember he is the only person who you are seeing every shot of. Other people have a bad chip it doesn't make the air.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Maybe it sounded like I was criticizing his chipping but I wasn't and totally agree with you - I would think chipping would take the longest to get back to normal. Also, Speith said the course was one of the hardest chipping courses they have played due to the grain, elevated greens, etc.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:10 pm

I didn't read your statement as criticizing. I just know many people are and was providing my opinion.

But man there is some really good golf being played today. Makes me wish I were playing. Rickie just made his first 2 putt of the day in #12. 13 putts through 12, insane, that is what I would be happy with through 7 holes. I'd be ecstatic with 13 through 8 and have never done 13 on any 9 (to my knowledge).

Make that 14 putts in 13 holes :o

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:59 pm

I am seriously considering TaylorMade M2 driver. Tigermania all over again.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Actually I watched a lot of the coverage and they showed plenty of other people Tigering, I mean yipping, I mean hitting poor shots from around the green. Jordan quoted as saying it's the toughest chipping course they play all year because of the bermuda and tight lies and sunken chipping areas.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:49 am

I know it's too early to get too excited, but nothing would make me happier than to see Tiger shut down all those who said he was washed up and wanted him to just go away. Those with no appreciation for what he did for golf, or how he dominated the game. I want to see some crow eaten. Are a few more majors possible now? If he can stay healthy, I do believe there is a good chance.