The Tiger Thread

MattF

Re: The Tiger Thread

Post by MattF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:13 pm

This is what winners look like...Chanins Uncle Kenny and some guy he was partners with in the Pro Am.

Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:34 pm

Doug I wouldn't mind seeing those people shut down either. Not because I get offended on Tiger's behalf or anything, but more because those kinds of opinions are ignorant about golf. People act so sure of themselves, regarding things about which they know next to nothing, and what little they do know, came simply from watching stupid TV. The future is unwritten, sizzle chest.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:48 pm

I didn't get to see ay of it but I saw Rickie's card from Sunday WOW !
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:01 pm

I haven't heard the term "sizzle-chest" since The Jerky Boys were the next big thing.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:54 am

I was waiting for the Staten Island ferry yesterday. Zoning out staring at a news crawl at the bottom of an advertising display, I saw the words "TIGER TO BE HIS OWN SWING COACH". The world is such a weird place.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:48 pm

Doug just spotted a "49" somewhere in the extended forecast, and now the good news keeps a-comin:

A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Or bad news, depending on whose side you're on.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 am

ZOMG Tiger (Woods) teeing it up today. Honestly I am caught by surprise. I am obviously out of the PGA Tour loop but I thought I'd be a lot more aware of the big comeback. I almost missed out completely!
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:08 am

They say he looks really good. And close to ready. Been playing 6 days a week with no pain at all. 120+ mph Swing Speed. Shot a 2 under in the ProAm, but played much better than score indicates. Looking forward to tuning in.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:34 pm

Considering this is the first PGAT event in a while, Tiger's game looking pretty, pretty, pretty good.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:50 pm

Respectable round for the first one in a year with a full field and a cut. No indication of any pain. Hope he can play a bit better tomorrow and make the cut. Almost ace on 16 was impressive.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Tiger kind of resembled a regular tour player today. I think that's a good sign. If he can get into a groove and compete on the regular, you have to think his scoring can only improve. Golfwise he appears to be a smart dude. He's shown in the past that given sufficient time, he can sort out his shit and get the game into pretty good shape. 2012-13 were hardly among the greatest Tiger seasons but I'd say they proved he could take on some weird swing system and eventually figure out how to use it to score and win tournaments. His current swing looks better than that swing, and the putting solid as ever, from short range at least. (Awesome to see the old Scotty Cameron am I right or am I wrong here DougE)

Duke of Hazards has to be getting excited about Riviera. Hell I'm actually starting to look forward to it.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:40 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 pm
(Awesome to see the old Scotty Cameron am I right or am I wrong here DougE)
Yeah, but he better do better with his than I do with mine. :facepalm

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:53 pm

Hey now, look who got his grind back.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:08 pm

Tigertards rejoice. We shall tard it up for another weekend.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:10 pm

Anyone catch the end of round 2? There was some mini-excitement as birdie was needed on the last to make the cut. Fun to watch, for this Tigertard at least.

Tiger putting stroke looks really smooth. That bodes very well, suckas. If a Brandt Snedeker, so-so ballstriker at best can collect numerous big titles, a 10 million dollar cup, etc on the strength of exceptional putting, then maybe there is hope for this Woods guy.
A golfball wizard's

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:17 pm

I did. He actually looks interested again. Like he gives a fuck about golf for once in the past 5 years. Forgot how good of a putter he is. That first putt on the last hole was a long and difficult putt. Faldo was even calling a three putt, but Tiger took his time and stalked it from all angles like old Tiger and almost holed it.

My boy Rory is making noise too. Riviera's gonna be epic.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:56 pm

A throwback Sunday watching Federer win a grand slam, and Tiger grind out a respectable showing in a full field event. Suck a dick, Father Time! :banana
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:09 am

I am encouraged. 4 rounds in a row, no pain. (Actually 5 counting the ProAm.) I know a 23rd place finish isn't front page of the leaderboard, but it ain't bad either. Just ask John Rahm (T29) who had a damn good tourney (until Sunday), Charlie Hoffman (T35) or Phil (T45).

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 am

I am quite impressed with this T23. One year ago his game looked dead. DEAD. Literally could not even pick the ball out of the hole by himself. People were saying it was all over, and like a moron I bought into it. People talk out of their ass all the time, in fact most of the time. It's a basic tenet of life that I seem to forget often.
A golfball wizard's

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:26 am

Yet, there are still some of us that think it's all over anyway. I'm sure he'll compete for a while, but i don't have any expectations that he'll be threatening a win anytime soon, especially a major.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:44 am

I'm not sure. His ball striking (iron game) has always been what set him apart from his peers. I bet his iron game is on point when practicing. Give him reps (not sure how many) and once he gets that figured out he will be on the first page of the leader board again.

His driving was terrible, but I think if he gets his competition level swing in order with his irons his driving won't be as bad. He's never been super accurate, and I don't expect him to start hitting 70%+ of FW ever. So I'm less concerned as long as he gets a tighter dispersion that he had this last week.

It will be interesting to see the progression between now and April. I'm assuming he plays 3 more tournaments before Augusta (Riv, Bay Hill, and the Honda). I think it would benefit him to play at Copperhead in Palm Harbor (use to be the Valspar, not sure who the sponsor is now). It's a tight course and will really stress his driving abilities. Not to mention my selfish reasons of wanting him to play there because I have played that course a couple times as it is no more than 30 min from my parents house.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:56 pm

Who knows if he will ever win again. Who knows if anyone will ever win again. Alls I'm saying is that people were certain that Tiger Woods was done. Now I guess we can modify the definition of "done" but if we just keep it simple and go by the primary definition, how can you argue that he is "done". He can compete at least and for some of us tards who believe the future is unwritten, that will suffice. Maybe this is pathetic but I would like to watch Tiger give it the old college try. If he fails, he fails. Sorry, just not ready to jump on the Jason-Jordan-Justin-Rickie Friendship Happiness Party Train.
A golfball wizard's

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:04 pm

Maybe he'll win again, maybe not, i'm fine either way. But the BS media attention that comes with every swing and every return has worn thin (and i know it's not his fault). It's like the golfing world thinks he'll play and win forever. It may be time now (or at least soon) to move on.

There may never be a player that is exciting as Tiger was in his prime, but i don't think he's that Tiger any more. As of now he's no more exciting than literally anyone else on tour. Maybe after he gets a few tourneys under his belt, some of that old magic will return. But until then i don't need him on the screen for every one of his sprayed tee shots while he's barely making the cut.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:17 pm

jattruia wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:04 pm
Maybe he'll win again, maybe not, i'm fine either way. But the BS media attention that comes with every swing and every return has worn thin (and i know it's not his fault). It's like the golfing world thinks he'll play and win forever. It may be time now (or at least soon) to move on.
I totally sympathize. Maybe not with Tiger, but other players. Fowler and Wie come to mind. In either case though, yes there is too much attention. Coverage of every shot is one thing, but there is too much attendant hoopla, way too much talking about it. I have stopped watching Golf Channel outside of actual tournament coverage and realized that aside from maybe some footage of players hitting balls on a range or whatever, I am missing nothing of interest.
As of now he's no more exciting than literally anyone else on tour.
I wouldn't try to change anyone's mind but I can attest I actually enjoy watching Tiger get around the course more so than any other player. The guy is super intense, also he will take on shots that garden variety tour players won't, even in his current decrepit state. He is an artful shotmaker in general, always trying to draw up a perfect shot for every different situation. So I am interested to watch every shot, no matter the score. Maybe it's retarded but there are people in the audience who want to see that sort of thing I guess, I don't think it's just the networks trying to cram stuff down throats. Even if he were to start playing totally average tour level golf I think I would still be interested on just on account of past glories, sad but true.

I don't think coverage of Tiger ever overshadows the leaders of a tournament, it just makes the window smaller for the whole rest of the field. I.e. the rest of the field has to play better to get on the TV than when Tiger's not in the tournament. It's not like there are that many all-time greats active in the game, so I feel its ok when this happens. Besides that, even at his peak Tiger sat out way more PGA Tour events than he played. So there's always been plenty of opportunities to watch Tiger-free pro golf on tv.
A golfball wizard's