The Tiger Thread

sjduffers

Re: The Tiger Thread

Post by sjduffers » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:40 pm

It sure was fun to watch! Think about it: another half inch for that putt to fall in and a little less pace for that putt to not lip out and we are talking about a playoff, even wih the drive on 17 and all the missed fairways. That's pretty incredible.
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:57 am

After the 2nd round the number in my head was -15 for outright win and -14 for a playoff.

Tiger went out and did what he needed to do, low round of the day with all that pressure on him. Keopka just went out and won it. He kept hitting the shot he needed to hit. That shot on #16 and that drive on #17 we're insanely clutch, oh and the drive on #18 wasn't bad either, but by then it was locked up.

Also I hate announcers. Asking why he would hit driver on #18 is so dumb. Driver takes the bunkers out of play and essentially removes double. What is he supposed to do pull iron which brings the bunkers and narrowest part of the fairway into play? Iron brings double into play and you are essentially playing mind games with yourself by treating the hole differently than any other time you would ever play it. Ok he could have kept it short of the bunkers leaving himself an extra 110 yards in. But then if he pulls it a little he's blocked out by the trees. Then he has 225 into the green and has to shape the ball against his normal shot shape. Driver is such a simple choice for him there, anyone who argues otherwise should take up some other sports.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:11 am

sjduffers wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:40 pm
It sure was fun to watch! Think about it: another half inch for that putt to fall in and a little less pace for that putt to not lip out and we are talking about a playoff, even wih the drive on 17 and all the missed fairways. That's pretty incredible.
Don't forget #1 where the putt was tracking dead center then hit something and ran across the lip. The guy could have very seriously shot 61 today with 2 bogies. But with all the variance in putting I'm sure some of the ones he made (like #18) would miss some % of the time if you hit the same line and speed numerous times.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:36 am

A little bit of everything Sunday. I was glad I stayed glued to the TV. Only a brilliant day by Koepka kept Tiger out of the winner's circle. That was some display of scrambling on holes 4-9. I am excited about the 2019 majors. Any idea about Tiger's remaining 2018 schedule? Other than, of course, the Ryder Cup.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 am

He's committed to the first 2 playoff events. And mathematically I'm not sure its possible for him to not be in the 3rd one right now.

So it looks like at least 3 more events then the Ryder cup. Potentially 5 of the next 7/8 weeks.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:45 am

Can you imagine what could be if he was able to rectify his tee shot issues once and for all?

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:52 am

DougE wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:45 am
Can you imagine what could be if he was able to rectify his tee shot issues once and for all?
Imagine a 2 man scramble with him and Rory. It wouldn't need to be a scramble per say, more just let Rory hit the tee shot and Tiger take it from there in.

His driving has been that way his entire career. If he hit tee shots like Rory he'd already have eclipsed Jack's 18 majors.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:07 am

Agreed.

And though his driving has never been great, there were times throughout his career where it was much better than it is right now....or at least, was yesterday.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:15 pm

I feel like yesterday was a joyous occasion for golf. The prodigal son returned home. Everyone celebrated. The tournament golf stage is Tiger's home, you know it and I know it. Seeing Tiger with Rory in the early rounds was a remarkable contrast. Rory for all his wondrous talents, FLITS his way around the golf course. Tiger on the other hand is like, the human embodiment of determination. A man on a serious mission.

Again I wrote Tiger off not even five holes into the tournament after he pulled a driver into the trees. He pulled the next shot into the trees too. Somehow he got up and down, made par and then proceeded to claw his way over everyone in the field but Koepka. The point is Tiger never gave up. Because he lives for this crap. He is doing what he was destined to do from birth. People like Rory might have been destined to do similar things, but as humans are wont to do, at some point got corrupted by wealth. And fame obviously. :facepalm Tiger is the wealthiest guy out there, but it also seems like he tries harder than everyone else out there. Don't see or hear about anyone else sweating through multiple shirts per round.
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:36 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:15 pm
Don't see or hear about anyone else sweating through multiple shirts per round.
Would a story about Chez Reavie changing shirts 2 or 3 times in a round generate any interest?
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Odd time to bash the Chezmeister who placed T12 after a 66. Excellent tournament--for any Chez Reavie type player. Actually saw him on the coverage yesterday, making a putt. Looking quite possibly more Chez than ever. I.e. like a total dork.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:05 pm

I think that Chez is maybe so dorky, that he comes out the other side ending up sort of cool. Same with Zach Johnson's caddie's flapping wing dance thing. First time seeing that was like, "Whoa, did a guy really just do that" but by now I'm like, awwww shit, bitch.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:21 pm

DougE wrote:
It was interesting to watch Tiger struggle with the driver, while his iron swing, on approaches at least, was on fire. He was peppering flags at will. Golf is just hard that way I guess. His natural swing doesn't really jive with the modern driver. Rory has the opposite struggle, swings the 1-wood with such natural ease, yet is unpredictable with a short iron or wedge. Actually I believe Tiger can sort this shit out. He is doing great so far, without a coach.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:39 am

DougE wrote:
I was perusing GOLF magazine last night. Their driver picture sequence of the month was Brooks - good timing for them. One comment stood out - "like most good drivers, he always plays to one shape." I noticed on Sunday Tiger trying to change shapes at times. I understand, I do the same thing, partly to find one that's working, but maybe he shouldn't.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:00 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 pm
Other than media who are simply trying to produce clicks or views who is actually debating putting him in the Ryder cup?

If he doesn't get picked it's because he told fyruk to not pick him and he only wants to play if he can play his way in.
I think the Ryder Cup points end at the PGA. Tiger can't play his way in based on points. Obviously, if he looks good in the Fedex Cup, combined with his 11th place standing in points, he will have "played his way in" when Furyk makes him a Captain's pick.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Tiger is in the cup unless he is a washout during the playoff events. Any player in the top 12 is going to get picked if he is playing well recently, whether he is Tiger or not, and of course Tiger is playing as well as anyone.

The real question is Phil, who everyone thinks is on the team and is in the top 12 but not playing well. If I was captain I'd favor hot players over year long points players IMO.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:04 pm

My theory is Tiger is now using tournaments as practice. Gone are the days of trying to win every single tournament. Some will have to serve as practice weeks, especially during busy stretches. These are the new economics of old Tiger.

Bridgestone and PGAC were back to back. He showed up at the former without any practice and looking like crap, and then got better everyday at the PGAC and then dazzled in the final round. I believe he showed up here this week again without practice and probably not expecting to win. Post-round comments even explicitly looked ahead to next week and the site of a previous win. I'll be in Vermont next weekend but have a feeling I end up watching some Tiger on the tube chasing #80.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:21 am

I agree with you and have thought the same since the PGA. If you look back at his majors this year you'll see his scores were better on the weekend than on Thursday/Friday. Along with his best result being the week after playing a tournament.

The real question is will Tiger realize this and start playing tournaments the week before a major?
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:49 pm

So look at that. Tiger is paired with Chez this week.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:21 pm

:yess That makes me sincerely happy. And ironically happy too let's face it, I like Chez because he is so uncool, so the opposite of Rickie and whatever else the PGA TOUR public relations department would have you believe about pro golfers.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:44 pm

After 20+ years with the same putter, Tiger switched to a mallet. Now he is back to a more "traditional" style putter. When a player starts switching putters, I take that as a sign of big problems.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:00 pm

Today he was testing the "traditional" putter, along with the scotty he has used to win 1 or 2 tournaments. So he might have 3 different putters in 3 different weeks.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:58 pm

He's a Captain's pick for the Ryder Cup, along with Phil and Bryson DeChambeau (ugh). I can put up with Bryson if he plays the lights-out golf he played the last two weeks.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:33 am

Maybe playing with Bryson and having Kuchar as a Vice-Captain will get him to switch putting techniques to the arm thing that they do - that might be the trick.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:48 am

3 weeks 3 putters.

Heck I'm not even that quick to change things up.
Keep it short stupid.