The Tiger Thread

legitimategolf
Site Admin

The Tiger Thread

Postby legitimategolf » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:59 pm

It's been over a month since the withdraw at Torrey Pines. Bay Hill is a course on which he's won many times, and where the host is going to be pissed about the no-show, so for him to not be ready seems like a bad sign. A sign that either the game is not progressing, or he just can't find the motivation. If it is the former, then truly disturbing to think that a player of that caliber could inexplicably lose it like that.

I am losing faith. The more I consider the possibility of this being the beginning of the end, the more it makes sense. If Tiger Woods is burned out and no longer gives a shit, it would not be that surprising. The guy gave so much of himself for a pretty long time. Reminds me of something George Harrison once said, late in his life. During Beatlemania, the world gave up their money and their adulation, but the guys in the band had to give up their nervous systems. I think he meant that it was extremely taxing being the Beatles, being that scrutinized.

Tiger is the Beatles of golf. The one time I saw him in person, at the '12 Barclays at Bethpage Black, I saw the Tigermania first hand. It was plain to see that there is no such thing as under the radar for him. Even with the game struggling in the past couple of seasons and inevitable decline setting in, the spotlight seems as harsh and bright and persistent as ever. Probably even more so in the media crazed world of 2015. So Tigermania is as crazed as ever, only now it's not so positive. For a golfer that has to be tough to deal with, in every single competitive round. For a struggling golfer, good God, forget about it.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: The Tiger Thread

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:09 pm

How funny would it be if he doesn't play until the masters. Then laps the field by 8 shots.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:19 pm

Dude how can you engage in that kind of whimsical wishful thinking at a time like this. Shit is getting real.

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:03 pm

If he's there he will make the Hacks squad.
Tee it up!

MattF

Postby MattF » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:12 am

Get a fork, 18 is unobtainable at this point.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:32 am

It seems like it has been so long since Tiger had a run at a major that I have almost stopped thinking in terms of his contending. If he skips the Masters, he has some serious physical issues. If he doesn't make the cut at the Masters, he is done. Masters 2015 is his tipping point.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:26 pm

This thread is showing up in the "Golf on TV Forum" section. Haven't seen that hack on tv golfing. This should probably get moved to "The Other Forum (anything)" section?
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Coda1850 wrote:This thread is showing up in the "Golf on TV Forum" section. Haven't seen that hack on tv golfing. This should probably get moved to "The Other Forum (anything)" section?

Come on, don't be like that. Tiger practically invented golf on tv.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:33 pm

You cant't really consider this 'the beginning of the end.' I'm pretty sure that started a few years ago. And believe it or not, golf can and will survive without him.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:53 pm

Last I saw tiger has 50/1 odds to win the masters. Lol Freddy couples has his usual 150/1. As of right now I'd take him finishing ahead of tiger at even money wonder if I can find 3/1 somewhere on that bet.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:51 pm

legitimategolf wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:This thread is showing up in the "Golf on TV Forum" section. Haven't seen that hack on tv golfing. This should probably get moved to "The Other Forum (anything)" section?

Come on, don't be like that. Tiger practically invented golf on tv.

Don't forget, & I've said this a bunch of times. Golf was ZERO on my radar before 3 years ago. I only ignored golf while getting updated on "real" sports for 30 years. I never saw Tiger win shit. He blew up his career before I could get my head out of my ass.

Every time I hear about some press release or anything from the Woods camp the bullshit meter goes nuts.

By the way, Tiger lost his game deal with EA to Rory McIlroy today. So that happened.

Mark unread?

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:54 pm

jattruia wrote:You cant't really consider this 'the beginning of the end.' I'm pretty sure that started a few years ago. And believe it or not, golf can and will survive without him.

He speaks the truth - Read it again everyone. Acceptance is the price of freedom.

Mark unread?

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:19 am

His era was going to come to an end sooner or later. I'm not rooting against him in any means; if he can compete again, that will be great. But Jack's record has appeared to be safe for quite some time now, and I'm certainly happy about that. Whether Tiger is finished now or if he's due for some resurgence, he will be leaving a hell of a legacy. Because of him we have the Rory's, Rickies, Spieths, etc to carry the torch, so golf will be left in pretty good hands.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:23 am

You guys are harsh man. There is no need to try and deflate anyone's hopes because nobody here was trying to sell any. The original post was kind of a lamentation. I am acknowledging that Tiger Woods is probably finished. Just thought we might have a semi interesting discussion on what's happening.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:25 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:It seems like it has been so long since Tiger had a run at a major that I have almost stopped thinking in terms of his contending. If he skips the Masters, he has some serious physical issues. If he doesn't make the cut at the Masters, he is done. Masters 2015 is his tipping point.

I agree, this Masters will probably end up being a definitive indicator of What's Happening.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:26 am

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:04 pm

Who's currently 104th in the World Golf Rankings?
Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods.

Mark unread?

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:30 pm

Ranking shmanking. All that matters to Tiger Woods career right now are four more major championships. Accomplish that and he can flip the bird and ride off into the sunset.

Tiger Woods will play in the Masters, golf insider Tim Rosaforte of GolfWorld predicts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rumors-tig ... 30881.html

I will be honest here. I am a little more excited about the Masters now. That probably means I am not a real fan of golf and of course that kind of stings but you know what, it's probably better in the overall scheme of things. The world of real golf fandom doesn't need the likes of me in its ranks, and I am probably better off doing other stuff.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:55 pm

legitimategolf wrote:Ranking shmanking. All that matters to Tiger Woods career right now are four more major championships. Accomplish that and he can flip the bird and ride off into the sunset.

Tiger Woods will play in the Masters, golf insider Tim Rosaforte of GolfWorld predicts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rumors-tig ... 30881.html

I will be honest here. I am a little more excited about the Masters now. That probably means I am not a real fan of golf and of course that kind of stings but you know what, it's probably better in the overall scheme of things. The world of real golf fandom doesn't need the likes of me in its ranks, and I am probably better off doing other stuff.

Oh, man I love it. You're perfect.
Really? I almost can't believe you believe but... ahhhh, really???

Shoot some scores at me. You wanna give scores for 2 rounds (or 4)?

It will help me watch him & hear about him if you'll be kind enough to type some score predictions.

Hopefully I don't forget to read that article. I'm headed home from work once I hit send on this.

Mark unread?

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:24 pm

Coda1850 wrote:Oh, man I love it. You're perfect.
Really? I almost can't believe you believe but... ahhhh, really???

Shoot some scores at me. You wanna give scores for 2 rounds (or 4)?

It will help me watch him & hear about him if you'll be kind enough to type some score predictions.

Hopefully I don't forget to read that article. I'm headed home from work once I hit send on this.

I feel like you are painting me into a corner. I'm not at all bullish on Tiger Woods prospects--I expect an MC. I am just interested because in my view Woods is a compelling player to watch, with a fascinating history and list of accomplishments. Unlike most of the golf world I tend to take the big picture view of Tiger's career, meaning I tend to judge it more by the good stuff than the recent decline. Every athlete's skills diminish with age, I don't quite understand why everyone is being so nasty about this particular case. If you are going to judge golfers by their worst moments then everyone sucks ass.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:05 pm

It adds to my viewing experience. I like routing against people. It's in my sporting culture. There's a power rankings that go through my head. Someone can slide down that list for any reason. Sometimes it's because they button their top button of their shirt, or maybe have chapped lips & look funny.

Tiger's banking on the restoration that was done to his image. He is playing that game more than the game of golf.
Tiger Woods used to play golf. Image Woods is the guy before us now.

Negative =/= nasty.

I'm pretty sure it was Yahoo where I saw the negative article on Tiger. Funny they had a positive one shortly after. I forgot to read the article last night, gonna check it out now.

Mark unread?

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:29 pm

Coda1850 wrote:It adds to my viewing experience. I like routing against people. It's in my sporting culture. There's a power rankings that go through my head. Someone can slide down that list for any reason. Sometimes it's because they button their top button of their shirt, or maybe have chapped lips & look funny.

You put it like that and it's quite reasonable. Now who is the intolerant jerk. It's me. Hate when that happens. I am more like you than I realize probably--I tend to be a "top button" kind of reactionary myself. I have a very complicated love/hate thing with Michelle Wie that doesn't really make any sense (though I think it is simmering down, thank god).

I forget you are a boston area guy. Too bad I am not a Yankees fan. Because then we could really go at each other's throats.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:03 pm

legitimategolf wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:It adds to my viewing experience. I like routing against people. It's in my sporting culture. There's a power rankings that go through my head. Someone can slide down that list for any reason. Sometimes it's because they button their top button of their shirt, or maybe have chapped lips & look funny.

You put it like that and it's quite reasonable. Now who is the intolerant jerk. It's me. Hate when that happens. I am more like you than I realize probably--I tend to be a "top button" kind of reactionary myself. I have a very complicated love/hate thing with Michelle Wie that doesn't really make any sense (though I think it is simmering down, thank god).

I forget you are a boston area guy. Too bad I am not a Yankees fan. Because then we could really go at each other's throats.

haaa, nobody's gotta be the intolerant jerk.
I had my "day" with the Sox. Damage done with their September collapse & Bobby V signing. I already got what I needed back in '04 & '07. My Sox team is gone. I routed for Manny, Pedro, Schilling... they're gone. I've actually turned down 20 or so free tickets over the last few years. No interest anymore.

I did get this tho...
(Got a 100th anniversary bat with my name carved in too)

You can't hate Michelle Wie 'cause you're using her putting technique, yeah? You can tell us. Am I right?

Mark unread?

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:08 pm

The today Tiger does not impact The Masters to me. He's not going to win, he probably won't make the cut, he'll may be completely irrelevant...yet he's going to get all the coverage. However, being there on Friday with a chance to see a complete Tiger Train wreck (assuming he doesn't WD before then) could be something to look forward to.

I'm just over the media circus that follows his every move whether whether he playing, good, bad, or indifferent. There are far better players to follow at The Masters and with Tiger there, it completely takes that away.

His plane is in Augusta FYI...

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:10 pm

...And the Sox look like they got an offense together again; i'm actually looking forward to the team this year. Now if only starting pitching wasn't such a hot mess right now...

Return to “Golf on TV Forum”