The Tiger Thread

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: The Tiger Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:31 pm

It is good to see Tiger back in action. You know it, i know, the American people know it. The talent seems to still be there. If he can stay healthy then his game is good enough to compete.
everyone is gay

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:33 am

I wonder if when Tiger is 80, if everyone will act like he was always their favorite. Nicklaus was disliked by a large percentage in his youth. Then he became, "Jack" and all humanity loves him.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:48 pm

All things considered I would rate this week an A- for woods.

I don't think going forward that nearly dfl will get another A- but given the circumstances playing 4 days pain free gets a B- had he shot 320
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:02 am

I heard a commentator say Tiger had 24 birdies over the 4 days. That is a lot (plus a lot of errors, too).

He also made a good point. He said, "We are in December ... NCAA football conference championships, playoff selections, NFL, NBA, NHL, start of NCAA basketball ... and here we are talking about golf."
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:34 am

This has always been a good tournament. When Tiger won in 2011 it was a big deal. I miss the Sherwood CC site though. It was starting to feel like tradition, and the course is distinctive and looks cool on the tube. Plus you get a lot more spectators. I am guessing they moved it to the Florida area in order to attract bigger name players. Seems to work though--they had three major champs and the Olympic gold medalist. Resort courses tend to bore on TV and bababooey or no, the low attendance makes it feel like less of a competition.
everyone is gay

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:02 am

Happy Birthday to Tiger Woods... I know his birthday 'cause it's my wedding anniversary.
I hope he doesn't become old & irrelevant this year.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jev

Post by jev » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:51 pm

Coda1850 wrote: I hope she doesn't become old & irrelevant this year.
That's no way to talk about your better half! :fk ;)
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:37 pm

jev wrote:
Coda1850 wrote: I hope she doesn't become old & irrelevant this year.
That's no way to talk about your better half! :fk ;)
:rofl
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:57 am

So it looks like Tiger's been playing Bridgestones all along, just like all the rumors suggested. If you haven't seen his post regarding this and other interesting things on his mind, here's the link:

http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2017/01/ ... ns-to-win/

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:40 am

Tiger is back in action this week at Torrey, a place where he has won 8 times. This is a US Open quality venue with a full field of the top players, not like the place he played a month ago in the Bahamas, with a very limited field of 18. He did have more birdies than anyone in that 18 player field, but he also had tons of bogeys and doubles, leaving him at the bottom of the pack, in 17th I think, right above Justin Rose who had to withdraw due to injury.

Nothing would make me happier than to see him in the mix this week, but I am a realist.

He still has some of the awesome ability he once had and the knowledge and experience it takes to win. Yes, it is partially still in cob-webs, but it's in there. So the question, IF he can make a decent showing, say finishing in the top 25, what does that suggest about his golf future?

I mean, look at Phil. He's much older than Tiger and he is still very competitive at times. Won 'The Open' a couple/few years ago and the Masters in 2010 when he was about Tiger's present age. He was one-quarter the player that Tiger was in their heydays. What Phil never did was take a year and a half off or have all the major back and knee surgeries Tiger did. (Yes he just had 2 sport hernia surgeries, but so did I a couple years ago. Back in 6 weeks. Not a big deal.) So, once Tiger can clear off the rust and get a taste of being on the front page of the leaderboard again, and assuming he does not get re-injured (back, knees, whatever), what should we expect?

I know, personally, I believe, if Tiger can get half his game back, combined with his mental superiority and get on a little roll, there will be a reason to stay home and watch golf tournaments again. But IF is the biggest word in my thinking.

It was only about 3 years back that he came off of surgery, a long layoff and his blow-up divorce, et al, and won 5 times in a season. (And was Player of the Year.) The man is not like your average everyday PGA Tour pro. Jason Day and Jordan Spieth have each won 5 times, but no one has won more in a season in the last 5 years. Tiger averaged more than 5 wins a season during his first 13 years on Tour. Averaged! He had the most wins on Tour 10 times over those 13 years from 1997-2009, one year winning 9 times in one season, twice 8 times. And let us not forget, Tiger only played a select number of tournaments. (Not like Patrick Reed who plays everything and anything.)

Justin Thomas might have a chance this year to get 5 or more. He has a pretty good head start. But maybe not if Tiger can get just half his game back.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:47 am

Here's my bold prediction: IF Tiger stays healthy the rest of his career. He'll get 18+ majors.

Here's my realistic prediction: Tiger play's these 4 weeks, decent (maybe 1 top 25, and 1 MC). He wins a tournament (maybe even the Masters) between now and the US Open. He then ratchets up the intensity and re-injures his back mid year (or the end of the year) and never wins another full field tournament (or the Masters). He might play again, and may even pull a Freddy Couples where he is on the top of the Master's leader board after 45 holes, but when you look back at it 2-3 years later you realize it wasn't that "epic" type of moment.

If he plays the playoffs and has a swing as smooth as it was in the Bahamas I'll be pretty optimistic of the next 5 years.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:42 am

Unlike the past couple tournaments, I will be paying attention to this one solely because Tiger is playing. I hope he kicks ass this year, wins 6 times with 2 majors.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:00 am

I too hope the guy can "kick ass" this year. I have no idea or hunches about what's going to happen. Just hope Tiger has fun out there. That's the whole point of this whole goddamn mishegas anyways.
everyone is gay

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:34 am

He's paired with Jason Day and Dustin Johnson to start Torrey, his new Taylormade team mates. Will that hurt or help him? I think I would rather see him with lesser players for his first day back to help solidify his confidence. On the other hand, if he can keep up with Day and Johnson, I suppose that would really help his confidence.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:23 am

Way to bury the lede DougE. For those of us who are not hip, Tiger announced today that he has signed with TM. Driver and woods for now and then eventually irons.

Let's all go out and test some TM drivers! It's our duty as fans, really.
everyone is gay

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:41 am

legitimatebeef wrote:Let's all go out and test some TM drivers! It's our duty as fans, really.
I am ready! What's the most hip & expensive model driver TM sells? I got my check book out. :thumbs
Let's Play 36

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:45 am

I'm excited, just knowing Tiger is back... yay.

As for buying new stuff... I'll stick to my R11 from 5 years ago, with my 6 shafts to switch in and out.
I have a R15 my brother gave me after going to the Krank, but I dont have TIPs for all my shafts.

Glad Tiger made a solid choice... TM is definitely helping players, although, I'm sure the other companies are making great equipment, TM just seems to be snatching up a lot of the good players.

Will be interesting to see what happens with that TM trio.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:46 pm

I think I'm now too old for getting all caught up in Tiger Woodses's drama. If he plays great, that's wonderful. If not, leave me out of the discussion thank you. Thus I'm very grateful the LPGA is also returning to action this week.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:16 pm

Ms. Beef plays TM driver, woods and irons. Just informed her that Tiger has joined her equipment team. She was delighted, way more than I would have expected. These Tiger fans. :facepalm
everyone is gay

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:19 am

Been hearing radio commercials about the Genesis Open and Tiger's return to Riviera on the way to work, on KROQ, which is the local rock station and generally caters to a younger crowd. I ain't never heard of that golf tourney or any other being advertised on it. I'm hoping it doesn't bring a bunch of clueless yahoos to the event. I feel like Shooter complaining to Doug about bikers in the woods.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:04 am

1:40pm EST!!
Let's Play 36

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:21 am

Tiger is starting today on my fantasy golf team. :rofl
Tee it up!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:37 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:Been hearing radio commercials about the Genesis Open and Tiger's return to Riviera on the way to work, on KROQ, which is the local rock station and generally caters to a younger crowd. I ain't never heard of that golf tourney or any other being advertised on it. I'm hoping it doesn't bring a bunch of clueless yahoos to the event. I feel like Shooter complaining to Doug about bikers in the woods.
KROQ (the soundtrack of my adolescence) is basically a classic rock station at this point no? Last time I was in the area I heard them still playing Offspring and Nirvana. Let's face it my friend, the music of our youths is the classic rock of 2017. :notgood
everyone is gay

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:22 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:Been hearing radio commercials about the Genesis Open and Tiger's return to Riviera on the way to work, on KROQ, which is the local rock station and generally caters to a younger crowd. I ain't never heard of that golf tourney or any other being advertised on it. I'm hoping it doesn't bring a bunch of clueless yahoos to the event. I feel like Shooter complaining to Doug about bikers in the woods.
KROQ (the soundtrack of my adolescence) is basically a classic rock station at this point no? Last time I was in the area I heard them still playing Offspring and Nirvana. Let's face it my friend, the music of our youths is the classic rock of 2017. :notgood
Yeah, mix of 2000's stuff and top 40 rock, depending on time of day/show/who's DJing. I hear you though on the music. Makes me feel decrepit sometimes.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:41 pm

This is some weird shit and I don't fully understand how it works, but I am watching the tournament live on Twitter. :bored
everyone is gay