The Wie Watch

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

The Wie Watch

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:29 pm

Standing at "even" six holes into the 2nd round, our girl is undoubtedly planning a strong move toward the top of the leader board this afternoon. No neck spasms have been reported. We are crossing our fingers as this condition has been know to flare up following a string of bogies. A lot is riding on this round as Michelle has a hair appointment tomorrow late in the morning. Unless she can get under par, her projected tee time may come into conflict with the trip to the salon.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

srogers13

Re: The Wie Watch

Postby srogers13 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:42 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Standing at "even" six holes into the 2nd round, our girl is undoubtedly planning a strong move toward the top of the leader board this afternoon. No neck spasms have been reported. We are crossing our fingers as this condition has been know to flare up following a string of bogies. A lot is riding on this round as Michelle has a hair appointment tomorrow late in the morning. Unless she can get under par, her projected tee time may come into conflict with the trip to the salon.

No comment. :silent: :? :roll:
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat May 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Sack up man. Bk is merely the voice of the people who are sick and tired of her shit. She has been shown undue favor for way too long. It ends here. Right Bk? :x
insufficient data

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:31 pm

The no comment had more to do with something I saw in person. I probably will share my thoughts on this later.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:07 pm

OK, here goes. I have pretty much turned from a Wie apologist to not really caring about her. In the past, I could always see reasons for why she had not reached her potential, but I finally have seen enough in person to not really care about her game anymore, and really, it does not have to do with her game.

She was not at the Yokahoma last year, due to injury, but she had been to the tournament for the two years before that. Watching her after rounds, there was something about the way she interacted with the fans that I could just not put my finger on, and I likely dismissed what I was seeing, because there were just so many people wanting an autograph or a picture, and really, how much can you do?

This year, I think it finally hit me what I was seeing. She does not like doing the post round PR schmoozing with the fans, even the kids, but she does out of a sense of obligation, and it seems to show. The Friday round, she finished late in the afternoon on the 9th hole. Amazingly, there were probably not more than ten people waiting for her and the other players to come out of the tent, and only two of those were little girls (only four different sets of people totally ten people). One of the girls had been a standard bearer (and was still wearing her outfit) that had sat and waited for almost an hour and a half just to meet Wie. Wie got done in the scoring tent first, and it was probably not a full minute before I was done to get up, and she was already gone. The way it was told to me by one of the marshals, she got out, signed, signed, signed and took off.

On Sunday, she was finishing on the 9th hole again. This time, there were probably 15-20 people there. This time, she was the last one to get finished at the scoring tent, and I was able to get out to watch, and after hearing from the marshal, and also having talked to the little girl's mom, seeing how she was going through, she just was signing stuff as fast as she could and trying to get away. On the Friday round, with just a few groups hanging out, if she cared, she could have spent a little bit of time talking to the kids there, and really made it a special experience for them, especially for a little girl that volunteered at the tournament, that then waited so long to meet her. I can understand not really being able to do all of that when there are 50, 60, hundreds of people waiting for you, but I have also seen other players give just a little bit more effort, even in those situations.

I am not sure if the girl was as aware of more or less being blown off by Wie, but I am sure her mom and aunt felt that way.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:04 pm

srogers13 wrote:OK, here goes. ...I am not sure if the girl was as aware of more or less being blown off by Wie, but I am sure her mom and aunt felt that way.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. Like you, I appreciate when sports people make an effort, live up to commitments and seem to understand how fortunate they are. Not so thrilled with prima donnas who don't display those qualities.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Wed May 11, 2016 4:50 pm

Coming off her 42nd place finish last week along with a rise to #70 in the Women's World Golf Rankings, Ms. Wie has the week off along with the rest of the LPGA. Having earned a bit less than $50,000 in LPGA winnings to date, it is a good thing our young lady has some substantial endorsement money rolling in.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu May 12, 2016 12:36 pm

srogers13 wrote:OK, here goes. I have pretty much turned from a Wie apologist to not really caring about her. In the past, I could always see reasons for why she had not reached her potential, but I finally have seen enough in person to not really care about her game anymore, and really, it does not have to do with her game.

She was not at the Yokahoma last year, due to injury, but she had been to the tournament for the two years before that. Watching her after rounds, there was something about the way she interacted with the fans that I could just not put my finger on, and I likely dismissed what I was seeing, because there were just so many people wanting an autograph or a picture, and really, how much can you do?

This year, I think it finally hit me what I was seeing. She does not like doing the post round PR schmoozing with the fans, even the kids, but she does out of a sense of obligation, and it seems to show. The Friday round, she finished late in the afternoon on the 9th hole. Amazingly, there were probably not more than ten people waiting for her and the other players to come out of the tent, and only two of those were little girls (only four different sets of people totally ten people). One of the girls had been a standard bearer (and was still wearing her outfit) that had sat and waited for almost an hour and a half just to meet Wie. Wie got done in the scoring tent first, and it was probably not a full minute before I was done to get up, and she was already gone. The way it was told to me by one of the marshals, she got out, signed, signed, signed and took off.

On Sunday, she was finishing on the 9th hole again. This time, there were probably 15-20 people there. This time, she was the last one to get finished at the scoring tent, and I was able to get out to watch, and after hearing from the marshal, and also having talked to the little girl's mom, seeing how she was going through, she just was signing stuff as fast as she could and trying to get away. On the Friday round, with just a few groups hanging out, if she cared, she could have spent a little bit of time talking to the kids there, and really made it a special experience for them, especially for a little girl that volunteered at the tournament, that then waited so long to meet her. I can understand not really being able to do all of that when there are 50, 60, hundreds of people waiting for you, but I have also seen other players give just a little bit more effort, even in those situations.

I am not sure if the girl was as aware of more or less being blown off by Wie, but I am sure her mom and aunt felt that way.

Ok this is a first for me but I am going to be the smarmy guy for once. What's that quote? Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle, or some shit. I read Srog's anecdote and it makes me think that Michelle is bearing a huge burden. Not that I pity her or anything, but it would explain a lot of her shittiness. It is commonly said that Michelle Wie has such a great off the course life. I don't know what those people are on. I am guessing she is at least as tortured as the next human if not more. I suspect she is a lonely princess in an ivory tower and cries a lot. Hard to imagine a person who is truly content in life being shitty to young kids who are her fans. If she cares at all about her on-course performance, she is probably going through hell this year. She has only broken 70 one time. For a pro golfer that has to be a very disturbing slump.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:25 pm

Our gal used Thursday as a warm up, posting a +4 for 76. She is going to need to get it in gear tomorrow morning as she is 12 shots behind. I doubt the two ladies at -8 and -7 are going to repeat that effort but a heroic effort is needed to get back into contention.

On a side note, what the heck is wrong with Inbee Park? Another 80-something and a WD after the first round. :shock:
Let's Play 36

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:10 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:On a side note, what the heck is wrong with Inbee Park? Another 80-something and a WD after the first round. :shock:

She has some sort of thumb injury, which has caused her to WD from a few tourneys. And watching some of her play on TV today, she really does not look good trying to hit the ball, almost flinching before contact. Like she is afraid of contact with the turf.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:55 pm

A noted golf prognosticator, writer and urban bon vivant recently stated that his pick for the LPGA Championship is our own Michelle Wie. TWW (The Wie Watch) will be closely monitoring the developments. TWW is NOT rushing to their local bookie to place some action on this particular prediction.
Let's Play 36

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:02 pm

Michelle Wie is 180/1 to win...LOL. Yes, I really did look that up.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Lol I guarantee that Tiger will have better odds to win the next tournament he plays in.

To be fair a lot of people like betting on Tiger though; but bookies dont make odds based on what they expect the outcome to be, they make it based on where they think the money will fall.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:24 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:A noted golf prognosticator, writer and urban bon vivant recently stated that his pick for the LPGA Championship is

Excuse me. There is no tournament by that name anymore.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:04 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
bkuehn1952 wrote:A noted golf prognosticator, writer and urban bon vivant recently stated that his pick for the LPGA Championship is

Excuse me. There is no tournament by that name anymore.

Certainly you, of all people, should revel in using old, out of fashion titles for long standing events. You want to cooperate with some Madison Avenue guy who wants to re-name "The Colonial" as the "Dean & Deluca Invitational"?? What or who exactly is "Dean & Deluca"?? LA Open or "Northern Trust"? The "Dinah Shore" or "Inspiration by Ana"?

Yes, I understand the tangential protest in labeling something with an absurdly long acronym. But that is for outsiders. You are among friends here. No one is going to dump on you for calling the LPGA Championship, the LPGA Championship. ;)
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:09 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Certainly you, of all people, should revel in using old, out of fashion titles for long standing events. You want to cooperate with some Madison Avenue guy who wants to re-name "The Colonial" as the "Dean & Deluca Invitational"?? What or who exactly is "Dean & Deluca"?? LA Open or "Northern Trust"? The "Dinah Shore" or "Inspiration by Ana"?

Yes, I understand the tangential protest in labeling something with an absurdly long acronym. But that is for outsiders. You are among friends here. No one is going to dump on you for calling the LPGA Championship, the LPGA Championship. ;)

Hey. Who despises modern day corporate naming conventions more than this guy. Very few. If any. I think we can agree on... the stupidness of a tournament... (especially a so-called prestigious one) being named something like

Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler Women's Professional Golf Association Championship

Even shortening it to the acronym still speaks loudly and clearly of the soul-crushing idiocy of life in 2016.

#KPMGWPGAC
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:22 pm

Something I did not notice previously. So the LPGA's Championship is called KPMG Women's Professional Golf Association Championship.

So now the PGA of America runs the event, not the LPGA. I was not aware of this change.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:28 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Something I did not notice previously. So the LPGA's Championship is called KPMG Women's Professional Golf Association Championship.

So now the PGA of America runs the event, not the LPGA. I was not aware of this change.

Scary isn't it. The LPGA doesn't even run the event. It's the PGA of America, who up until a couple of years ago had no shits to give about women's pro golf tour. Sinead o'Connor said it best:

FIGHT THE REAL ENEMY

:x
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:29 am

Our girl Michelle had a bad first day with a "78". Expectations were that she would bend the course to her will and make up some of the distance between her and 1st place on day 2. Splat! 80?!?! What, she has a shopping appointment in Seattle for Saturday?

I tell you, once she got that U.S. Open title, she put her game on cruise control.
Let's Play 36

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:57 pm

Even a stopped watch is right twice a day.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:59 am

srogers13 wrote:Even a stopped watch is right twice a day.

I see it as more like the infinite monkeys theorem:

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

Which is to say if you take any girl with above average hand-eye coordination and immerse her in the world of golf, somehow getting her to hit mass quantities of golf balls everyday of her life from early childhood on, you will almost surely produce a US Open champion sooner or later. (Probably will also produce a variety of overuse injuries in addition to a stunted personality and tendencies to act out.)
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:16 am

Our gal made the cut Friday. Her birdie on #17 was key as she made the cut on the nose. Time to put the pedal to the metal.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:52 am

Whoa, currently -4 thru 16 holes of round 3. They must have moved up all the tees, and put all the flags in the centers of the greens. I'm kidding around of course. Because of all the recent suckage and what have you.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:37 pm

After making the cut last week, we were pulling for our young lady to make it two in a row. Not to be. Perhaps she is saving her "A" game for the big prize. Reports that she was going through the motions to fulfill her sponsorship requirements should be ignored.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:12 pm

Serious question for BK. Do you feel that professional golf has reached one of its periodic lull periods? I am looking at this pathetic Michelle Wie thread and realizing that I can't even muster the energy to make fun anymore. It's no longer even sad, her situation. It has become quotidian at this point. It reminds me of a clock punching worker who is counting off the days til retirement. That is merely one of many examples. This new Big 3 of golfers to me is little more than the second coming Hale Irwin and Tom Kite and Ray Floyd etc. The current best are indeed the best of their generation but beyond that is it really that big a deal, I don't think so. Sorry would give more examples but again energy, muster, can't.
insufficient data

Return to “Golf on TV Forum”