Rory Thread

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Rory Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:52 pm

This guy cracks me up sometimes. Now he says he's accepted his fate and is at peace with the Zika virus. Six months and it'll be gone from his system, he says. No harm done. What a guy. He will make Ireland proud.

He is definitely in transition right now. Unsure of which putting grip, conventional or cross-hand, to use, and also of which style of pants to wear. I notice he has been waffling between a traditional style golf slacks and a poncey, Rickie Fowler style tapered leg, very noncommittal. Maybe he just needs to get comfortable with both of these putting and pant situations then the big wins will come.
no more polo shirts

GBOGEY

Re: Rory Thread

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Admittedly I am not a Rory fan - don't know why, just not a fan. But right now if it was allowed he would be switching to a long putter. Reminds me of Adam Scott, another guy I struggle to pull for.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:34 pm

This is not a specifically Rory post, I didn't know where else to put it and I'm not about to clutter up the place with another go nowhere thread. The other day I caught a replay of this year's exciting global shipping cup challenge on the PGA tour. Did you guys know that Rory actually won both the Tour Championship, the cup and its $10mm prize?! And did so in dramatic, late-inning, come from behind fashion? I didn't either! And I believe I actually watched the thing on tv, live!

The point is it was about an exciting finish as you could draw up on paper, starring the world's biggest golf star behind Tiger and Phil. Yet somehow it slipped so easily out of the collective consciousness like so much sand through the hourglass of time. That's right I am speaking for the collective consciousness now and that's right I am now adding similes to metaphors.

You are probably thinking this is leading up to some snarky, moralizing posture, blah blah typical beef bullshit. You would be wrong. I am just attempting an observation Jack. If you are forcing me into some kind of judgment on it then I will say that I was reminded that there are always exciting finishes in golf, even in the pre-Tiger, pre-modern game. Guys like Jordan, Rory, Jason are pretty cool, but then so are the Hale Irwin, Tom Kite, Lanny Wadkins of the world! Those guys deserve credit, as they were arguably the Jordan, Rory, Jasons of their own time! And maybe we should not be so quick to elevate the Jordan, Rory and Jasons to anything beyond being the Irwin/Kite/Wadkins of their time. Until they prove otherwise they are just the latest in a long line of Hale Irwin Tom Kite and Lanny Wadkins'ses's are they not. This post got away from me, sorry.

Bottom line is that Rory did some crazy shit to close out the PGAT season and yet it hardly seemed to leave much of an impression on the world.
no more polo shirts

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:41 pm

I remember for damn sure. He was dead and gone mid way thru the season. It was all DJ till the last. Remember? But he kicked some ass in the end.
Tee it up!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:45 pm

I remember as well, including the incredible eagle on the par 4 #16 that got him almost there. It was accompanied by a Tiger-esque fist pump too: Rory does have some emotions from time to time. Don't count him out!
I'm gonna go low this time...

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:53 pm

When Rory's on, he's exciting. Congressional, Kiawah, even the Masters tourney in 2011 when he was beating Augusta like a rented mule before he imploded. I'm an admitted Rory fan.

I think the biggest thing is that by the time the Fedex starts, people are burnt out on golf, (and maybe ready for Football) so they're not as tuned in. The last 2 majors are pretty close together, the WGC at Firestone also in there. Then there's a small break and the Fed Ex cup, which always feels like a slog to me, with so much handwringing about positions and points. I only remember little snippets of stuff about the last several Fedex Cups and was only casually interested.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Ree: the latest Rory news, which reminds us that the Olympics is kind of like a father/daughter dance. Sure it's great fun and touching moments for those fortunate enough to be in intact families. But what about the others? They have to deal with the awkward sadness. Not everyone has such a clear and well-defined nationality. In this case Rory has a dad he'd like to attend the dance with but the powers that be won't allow it. If Rory wants to go he is forced to go with either of two "dads" for which he has no affinity, fuck dat! So I agree with the guy: to hell with the shitty Olympics. Well maybe he didn't quite say that. He should have.
no more polo shirts

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:47 am

Interesting analogy.

legitimatebeef

Re: 2018 PGA Tour Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Just read Rory's pre-tournament presser. It still sounds like he is trying to talk himself into motivation again. It's weird when an elite athlete for whatever reason feels he must make declarations (to nobody in particular) like "I'd love to win again", "winning golf tournaments is a great feeling". Uhh, we all already assumed that about you dude. Along with everyone else who makes their way to the top of their sport. Dunno, just get this strong feeling that Rory is in a kind of pickle. He scaled the mountain and it always seemed to me that he was never all that pleased with the view once he arrived. Might be set for life financially but there is still the question of how he's going to spend the rest of his career. He cannot just quietly fade away. Like other top athletes he is no longer an individual entity but the head and figurehead of a veritable corporation. Plus he is just too gifted. But what does one do when they have major championship talent but not the motivation to match it. Probably just plod along, picking up a win or two per year. I bet sometime during his mid 30s he will snap out of it, regret some of the indifference of his youth and start applying himself for real, instead of this business of starting every season telling the press "No, really guys, I've been practicing and believe me, I want to win!"
no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:46 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Ree: the latest Rory news, which reminds us that the Olympics is kind of like a father/daughter dance. Sure it's great fun and touching moments for those fortunate enough to be in intact families. But what about the others? They have to deal with the awkward sadness. Not everyone has such a clear and well-defined nationality. In this case Rory has a dad he'd like to attend the dance with but the powers that be won't allow it. If Rory wants to go he is forced to go with either of two "dads" for which he has no affinity, fuck dat! So I agree with the guy: to hell with the shitty Olympics. Well maybe he didn't quite say that. He should have.
legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:34 pm
Guys like Jordan, Rory, Jason are pretty cool, but then so are the Hale Irwin, Tom Kite, Lanny Wadkins of the world! Those guys deserve credit, as they were arguably the Jordan, Rory, Jasons of their own time! And maybe we should not be so quick to elevate the Jordan, Rory and Jasons to anything beyond being the Irwin/Kite/Wadkins of their time. Until they prove otherwise they are just the latest in a long line of Hale Irwin Tom Kite and Lanny Wadkins'ses's are they not.
:lolz Wow. These are two of the most astute observations about the Olympics and professional golf stardom, respectively, that I have ever read.
no more polo shirts