2017 PGA TOUR thread

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

2017 PGA TOUR thread

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:10 pm

Let's face it, we cannot be bothered to create a new thread for each weekly tournament, not in this post-Tiger (and ok fine, post-Phil) world we live in.

I didn't watch much of the "Hawaiian Swing" but I saw that Justin Thomas (who I like to think of as the Salieri to Jordan Spieth's Mozart) made a big splash and it did make me wonder about the prognosis for the non-Tiger PGATOUR product. Thomas might be a talented golfer with a bright future, but he's also got a punchable face, scrawny girl arms, a dad-style wardrobe and a wooden, joyless demeanor. I am not saying that to disparage anyone. Just pointing out that guys like that do not move the needle. Don't give me no more of that "oh, they are such great young men" crap. That interests no one. Give me whorin' Tiger Woods, insider tradin' Phil, surly deer antler sprayin' Vijay Singh any day. These guys are scum bags but at least they are their own men, not part of some douchebag clique. But I am getting sidetracked here.

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that the PGA TOUR product might be in some trouble, that is if Tiger doesn't produce some good play in the next few years. It'll "rightsize" back to circa 1980's levels, back when Curtis Strange and Tom Kite were big names. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that. I always maintain that each of us should really be our own favorite golfer and if it takes a diminution of the PGATOUR's product to help more people realize that, then I say hooray for it actually.
insufficient data

CeeBee

Re: 2017 PGA TOUR thread

Postby CeeBee » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:51 pm

I have to agree. Tigerless golf is almost, shall I say, ho hum. The real problem is there isn't anyone out there to generate the interest he brought to the stage. Tiger hasn't won a major since June '08. That bum Y E Yang stole the PGA that year and hasn't done shit since. DJ finally won the USOpen but I hardly noticed. He somehow was player of the year in '16 but all I remember is his collapse to Mcilroy for all the marbles. 10,000,000 marbles.

Rose won Olympic gold. Yawn. Completely forgot. How about Rory. Seems like he won 4 majors in three weeks. Quick. But until late last season off the radar. Remember how dominate Spieth was in '15? Started 2016 with a win in Hawaii and was on the leaderboard thru round 4 of the masters. Meltdown on a chump pitch shot with a decent lead. Done. All gone. That was when Tiger was at his best. He never let up. Seldom fucked up.
Tee it up!

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:17 pm

None of them want it. To be dominant, that is.

Day kind of wants it, but he's family focused and his back's a wreck. Same goes for 41yo Tiger, I think.

You almost need to be quasi sociopathic to have a shot, I think, and not have any other focus in your life that absorbs your mental energies. Talented, mentally strong, and a cut-throat self-absorbed a-hole. You only get a Tiger or Michael Jordan every once in a blue moon.

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:50 pm

Well said.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:33 am

Stop all the psychology gurus from teaching the pros how to internalize anger & joy while walking through a round like a zombie. For all of Tiger's training to ignore distractions, you always knew when he was excited or disappointed. Too many of the current pros look like they are on sedatives.

For all the zenophobic froth created by the Ryder Cup, it was a lot of fun watching Patrick Reed and Rory go toe to toe. We need more egging on the crowd, whipping everyone into a frenzy. type of play.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:36 am

Nothing can help the PGA Tour right now the way Tiger would if he were to come back and be a dominant force again, on the first page of the leader board every week he plays and winning like he did a few seasons back when he was Player of the Year. (When was that, 2013? The year he won 5 times with an injury-plagued body.) He was in his late 30s and reminded everyone that even an old Tiger with worn out knees and back is still better than today's hot young stars more often than not. His abilities, both physical and mental, were unfuckingbelievable absolutely amazing in his heyday. Those who didn't get the chance to witness this wonder don't understand what they missed. It would be great for the Tour and a reason for us to get excited about watching golf on TV again, more often, if Tiger has something left to offer. Only bad thing is it will be hard to decide whether to go play yourself on a Sunday afternoon or stay home and watch on TV. I don't have that problem at present. If Tiger can be half of what he was before, I will.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:17 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:Stop all the psychology gurus from teaching the pros how to internalize anger & joy while walking through a round like a zombie. For all of Tiger's training to ignore distractions, you always knew when he was excited or disappointed. Too many of the current pros look like they are on sedatives.

Tough situation. Don't you think it's more effective for the average pro golfer and his income to strive for emotional flatlining during every round? Anyways nobody wants fake theatrics. Can you imagine if like a Rickie Fowler decided one day: "My Q-rating is kind of dipping lately, maybe I need to ratchet up my on-course demeanor and choreograph some fist-pump routines." Hell no. Sportspeople need to be themselves above all else. Unfortunately I guess the problem is that they are themselves, and we just don't really like who they are.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:21 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:None of them want it. To be dominant, that is.

Day kind of wants it, but he's family focused and his back's a wreck.

I don't know about that guy. He might say he wants it, but do you feel it? I don't. Tiger never had to proclaim his intentions. You just knew.
insufficient data

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Yeah, I guess. Maybe I get it more from Day than these other dudes. They're just too nice. Except for Patrick Reed. He's got the beady little eyes and a checkered past. He even dares to wear Sunday red. Maybe he'll end up doing something. Or not.

Seems like it's hard to strike a balance between being a fiercely competitive SOB and also trying to whore market yourself to companies to bring in the endorsement contracts. Throw in 24/7 social media and what you don't get in 2017 is rumors about Larry Bird walking into the locker room at All-Star weekend and saying 'which one of you assholes is coming in 2nd?' to his 3-pt shootout competitors.

Tiger was foul-mouthed and lewd like his dad before IMG shut him up and turned him into stone faced media Tiger.

I've heard similar stories about Snead and Nicklaus/Hogan/Faldo were all a bit aloof and arrogant. Golf needs more of that and less of Rickie Fowler prank tweets.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Phillyboy's playing this week and I can't even be bothered to turn on the tube. I'd rather watch random early round action at the Australian Open of tennis. Jesus God, my relationship with the PGA TOUR is in bigger trouble than I had thought.
insufficient data

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Phil debuted a new personal logo this week, a logo of his three inch vertical jump from when he won his first Masters, ala Michael Jordan's logo.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Ha ha that jump was so freakin' gay. (Not like homosexual gay. Yuletide gay.)

Sergio needs his own silhouette logo of himself doing a jumping scissor kick. Aka his career-defining moment. Was all downhill from there. :bored
insufficient data

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Another 59. Do they seem less special to you now?
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:10 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:Another 59. Do they seem less special to you now?

Maybe, but this was on a par 72 course and without any eagle: 13 birdies and 5 pars! Damn! :banana
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:15 pm

sjduffers wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:Another 59. Do they seem less special to you now?

Maybe, but this was on a par 72 course and without any eagle: 13 birdies and 5 pars! Damn! :banana

I agree, but to be fair most of the course with a 59 are par 72 for the members. The PGA tour normally turns the 2 shortest par 5s into par 4s. Just weeks with amateurs they tend to not do it.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Well I don't know that for a fact about the other 59s, but with how frequently the tour changes the par on a course I figured it is pretty likely.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:40 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:Well I don't know that for a fact about the other 59s, but with how frequently the tour changes the par on a course I figured it is pretty likely.

You are right. They typically turn the shortest par 5s into par 4s but I don't know that it has always been the case, or even mostly the case for the other 59s. One (Duval) was the old Bob Hope's, ie this exact tournament in the California desert, and the one last week by Justin Thomas was on the par 70 at Wailae where they did exactly that. I think Jim Furyk's 59 was at East Lake, a true par 72, wasn't it?

Regardless, -11 or -13 is mightily impressive, even more so with no eagles, or with a bogey, like Justin Thomas did last week!
I'm gonna go low this time...

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:29 am

I'm in the camp that it doesn't mean as much any more. It's a great round, but with today's length and aggressive go for it all the time style it's happening too often. Interestingly, how many times does the 59 not result in a win these days. My guess is that 59 used to be 7-8 shots ahead of the field and now it's 4.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:17 am

While still executing to shoot 59 is needed, also remember the course (and pin placements) was set up a little easier than normal due to all of the amateurs playing.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Re: 2017 PGA TOUR thread - WGC Mehico

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Glancing at the leaderboard. Has Her Majesty ever been this well represented at a big golf event? Fisher, Willett, Casey, Fleetwood, Wood, Fitzpatrick, Rose, Sullivan, Westwood, Hatton. That is a lot of English golfers. Big fan. Again not of any of these people specifically, but of the English in general.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Initially I was put off by Justin Thomas and what I perceived as the punchability of his face. But now I root for him. Life is funny like that.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:47 am

The guy who won yesterday, Adam Hadwin, has a nice compact swing, and also seems like a considerate young man. Good for him. Well, he is a Canadian after all. Like Americans, but kinder and less douchey.
insufficient data

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:04 pm

I love to rant on Legit golf because I can do so anonymously and I can't do so in my regular life, so I apologize.

So I like the team format that they are using for the Zurich Open. I think new things need to be tried to liven up the PGA tour.

What I don't like is how some of the power teams were formed. It smacks of Lebron James going to Miami to play with the best players and win a championship - let's get the good guys on one team and beat everyone else and say how we good we are. Teams should have been somewhat random - that's how life works. Or better yet, play with handicaps based upon world rankings. Hoping a pair of unknowns really shock the power teams.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:05 pm

I like the format too. I'm going to watch some tonight, having never watched any of the Zurich.

As far as the forced parity suggestion, I have to disagree.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:16 pm

I like them making their own teams. Too many rules as is to add one about making teams

Return to “Golf on TV Forum”