The Masters 2017

jfurr

Re: The Masters 2017

Postby jfurr » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:24 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
GBOGEY wrote:Sorry, but I'm struggling here. If any of us had a chance to play Augusta and we broke our arm and leg the night before, we're still playing. These guys don't feel perfect and they withdraw. Don't get it. When I was a kid .....

He said he felt like he had no chance out there. Guess if you're world #1 you're there to win, not merely grateful for a tee time.

It was a generally high scoring day with the wind, right? He coulda limped through it, and maybe feel better later in the week and still been in contention.

Oh well.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:26 am

Regripping clubs while I watch today and I'm off work. It's a win win win
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:06 am

Was feeling bullish on Hoffman... til I saw his record in majors. It's terrible. Best finish is T9.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:11 am

I like McIlroy to win, from what I saw yesterday he looks pretty comfortable here, hitting it well.
insufficient data

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:51 am

legitimatebeef wrote:Was feeling bullish on Hoffman... til I saw his record in majors. It's terrible. Best finish is T9.

If I'm picking someone other than Hoffman I like Sergio. But he's a mental case maybe the stability in his personal life will help him close it. Although I want Hoffman to win given I picked him in the weekly pick'em

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:05 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:maybe the stability in his personal life will help him close it.

Please. What are we on, like, Volume 14 of this same story? The guy is 37 years old and lives the cushiest life imaginable. What exactly was the nature of his ordeal before discovering this so-called stability?

IMO that guy is always a threat to nip off a major when nobody's looking. Few people play these events as consistently well it seems.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:19 pm

Rory's in very good position. However, I have always wondered about Rory completing the grand slam. I feel he will do it, but maybe not that soon.

Rory might have grown up wanting to be Tiger. But then Tiger had a huge scandal and became a Ty Cobb-esque figure. And then Rory turned pro and scaled the mountain and collected enough cash to be set for several lifetimes. I don't think he wants to be Tiger anymore.

Once Rory completes the grand slam, there will be little else to accomplish. (Don't think he has designs on catching up to Tiger or Nicklaus's win totals) Deep down in his subconscious I believe he knows this, and thus is a little afraid of where his motivation will go once the slam is completed. Thus he is sort of casual about his Masters quest.

Of course now that I've said all that, get ready for Rory in a green jacket on Sunday.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:19 pm

After an errant Jordan drive on 10, he yelled fore right, cursed himself, then begged for a decent lie--all before the ball touched down. Dude is a multitasker with upper management written all over him.
insufficient data

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:37 pm

Rory's got nothin' going on. Just idling. The only one out there on the gas is Speith.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:20 am

I am pulling for Sergio to seal the deal ... but he does have a history of coughing it up. Maybe he can channel his thoughts from the Players win a few years ago and no one will push him hard.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:55 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:I am pulling for Sergio to seal the deal ... but he does have a history of coughing it up. Maybe he can channel his thoughts from the Players win a few years ago and no one will push him hard.

Too bad you are not at Augusta to deliver this inspirational message of support in person. "Let's go Sergio! I hope everyone falls apart so you can finally win!"
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:17 am

I am backing Jordan. I just like the look on that kid's face as he makes his way around. The only one on the board who appears game for the challenge. Everyone else is either total business like Rose, or quite obviously trying mask their nerves with either stoicism (Fowler) or fake bonhomie (Garcia). :puke

Good, logical pairings today. American golf poster boys (Spieth, Fowler), regular schlubby American guys (Hoffman, Moore), sweet swingers from the southern hemisphere (Scott, Shwartzel), and going out last is a pair of Euro Ryder Cup stalwarts in their mid 30s. All these people should feel comfortable today playing alongside a peer and therefore play some great golf. :thrust
insufficient data

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:02 am

legitimatebeef wrote:Good, logical pairings today. American golf poster boys (Spieth, Fowler), regular schlubby American guys (Hoffman, Moore), sweet swingers from the southern hemisphere (Scott, Shwartzel), and going out last is a pair of Euro Ryder Cup stalwarts in their mid 30s. All these people should feel comfortable today playing alongside a peer and therefore play some great golf. :thrust

Funny, I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Everyone should feel as comfortable as they can alongside their playing partner of today. Spieth and Fowler are BFFs to begin with.

This could be Sergio's year, finally. He played well yesterday. If he backs it up today with similar play, he will be totally in it on the back nine down the stretch.

JPJ

Postby JPJ » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:16 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:I am pulling for Sergio to seal the deal ... but he does have a history of coughing it up. Maybe he can channel his thoughts from the Players win a few years ago and no one will push him hard.

I'm with Team Kuehn.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Is it 'Sharl Shwartzl' or 'Charl'? I thought it was Charl. He's not a French guy. I say Charl. If he just went with Charles as a first name there'd be no problem. Nobody'd be calling him 'Sharles'. And when you say 'Charles Shrwartzl' it sounds exactly the same as 'Charl Shrwartzl'. Try it you'll see.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Rose looks ready, like he's had it up to here with this 'one major winner' bullshit. He has probably had enough of being lumped in with the Webb Simpsons and Dufners and Danny Willets of the golf world. He is a higher level than that. You know it, I know it, he knows it.
insufficient data

JPJ

Postby JPJ » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:03 pm

I wish all majors could end this way. Both leaders putting for birdie on the 18th. Cool!
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:32 pm

What a great end.

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Wonderful Master's Sunday. Great finish. Was worth skipping my Sunday afternoon round of golf. I can play golf any day. Don't get to see a Master's finish that good very often.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:00 pm

I was happy to see Sergio win and also make birdie to win the 1st playoff hole. Justin Rose can feel like the other guy won rather than that he tossed it away (which he sort of did). great drama.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:16 pm

Yay for Sergio. Happiest major championship face in a while. The putting was a little spooky but the ballstriking over the last few holes was unassailable. Swing held up under pressure. One of the great swings of all-time maybe.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:37 pm

The Masters is the only major championship decided by sudden death playoff. Why such a hasty end to an otherwise ponderous, self-important event? Because they gotta do the jackets and the Butler cabin thing and wrap it all up in time for "60 Minutes" (followed by an all new "Touched by an Angel" or whatever). In the end, the Masters is basically just another schmaltzy show on CBS.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:54 pm

With its artificially bloomed flowers and imported pine straw and official sandwiches and what not, it's easily the most twee and cutesy of all the major tournaments. That's why I always say, the Masters is basically the Nabisco Dinah Shore of men's golf.
insufficient data

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:59 am

Watched the whole thing on DVR, then my recording got cut off right after their approaches on 18.

F'ing golf blue balls, I tell ya. :fuckall

Return to “Golf on TV Forum”