Is anyone excited about the US Open?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Is anyone excited about the US Open?

Postby bkuehn1952 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:58 pm

I am trying to muster up some energy to be excited. Hey, new course, Wisconsin ... what is not to get excited about, right?

Still, I am struggling with my game right now and it is hard to give one, much less two, shits about what the boyz are doing in cheeseland. If it is not storming tomorrow morning, I hope to hit Pierce Lake as first one out of the gate. If I play decently, I may lay in my Brazilian hammock tomorrow and watch on my iPad.

What say the rest of you fellas?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

CeeBee

Re: Is anyone excited about the US Open?

Postby CeeBee » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:37 pm

I'll be in Delaware so I will play some golf and watch some golf. Excited? Not really.
Tee it up!

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Love the U.S. Open more than the Masters. Something about the course brutality. Thinking about working from home tomorrow so that I can partially watch.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:05 pm

It used to be my favorite major. But with the usga crap in the last 10 years it's fallen to #3
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:22 pm

I'll be watching for sure, probably taped delayed, as I can't stand the amount of commercials showing alongside golf, but I'll be watching, hoping they hit it into the gnarly fescue, but as Rory said in an interview yesterday "if we, the pros, can't hit into 60 yards wide fairways, we should pack and go home!", so it probably won't be that frequent, but it should be entertaining nonetheless.
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:32 pm

I'll watch a good portion of it, but if the weather is nice, I'm playing golf Thursday afternoon, Friday morning and Saturday afternoon. I may take Sunday off to get some projects done around the house and would then surely watch the network coverage later in the day. Golf Channel and/or whichever cable channel has the non-prime-time coverage will be on the TV on and off all weekend, though I may or may not be sitting in front of it, depending on what I may be working on around the house.

I am very interested to see Erin Hills. Hopefully it is a real challenge, without being stupid hard and gimmicky.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Network coverage is on Fox, and there is no Golf Channel coverage (only Live From ...), but there is additional coverage on FS1 (i.e. Fox Sports 1).

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:04 am

Not that interested. Might check out a little here and there. Let's face it, the US Open is in transition. Fox is a cheap shit network and the US Open took a huge reputation hit the second they signed with them. It will take all parties some time to re-build this tournament's credibility, and for that new network smell to wear off.
insufficient data

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:10 am

Love that all the par 5s are over 600 yards - let the pros play them the way we do.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:11 am

BTW - coverage on US open streaming is better than Fox TV in terms of announcer styles IMO.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:25 am

I feel that Joe Buck is not nearly as bad a broadcaster as people say. He gets a bad rap because of a) the shadow of nepotism and 2) the stick-up-the-butt quality of his vocal delivery. It makes everything he says sound objectionable. He could be reading from the book of Psalms and you'd be like, "Turn off this pompous blowhard opinionated crap!"
insufficient data

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:12 pm

I agree about Buck to some extent. There was a good profile on him in one of the golf magazines last year - he's actually an avid and pretty decent golfer. But there is nothing about his style that doesn't say golf. At least they got rid of mr. ego Norman.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Spent a few minutes with the broadcast this afternoon. Buck is bad in his usual Joe Buck way, but it's Azinger quietly staking his own claim to biggest douchebag in golf broadcasting. Ponderous.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:47 pm

What ever happened to the woman from the Golf Channel who jumped ship to do Fox broadcasts. She did the player interviews, badly, a few years ago and has not been seen since. I guess they don't give 2nd chances. She is so gone, I can't even recall her name.
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Holly Sonders? She is still there at Fox and ... doing interviews! At least, according to the FS1 broadcast that I am watching now with a few hours of delay. I haven't yet seen her do any of the interviews this year, though. She's not there for her journalistic skills, for sure.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Just saw her interview Darren Clarke and Gil Hanse: one canned question and lots of comments on Darren's wardrobe. WTF? :fk Looking hot though! :yess Definitely why she's there, lol!

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Loved the stat they used a little bit ago where more amateurs were under par than top 10 player in the world rankings.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:00 pm

Fox does a good job with the visuals, I will give them that.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:05 pm

sjduffers wrote:Just saw her interview Darren Clarke and Gil Hanse: one canned question and lots of comments on Darren's wardrobe. WTF? :fk Looking hot though!

Completely disagree.
insufficient data

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:20 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
sjduffers wrote:Just saw her interview Darren Clarke and Gil Hanse: one canned question and lots of comments on Darren's wardrobe. WTF? :fk Looking hot though!

Completely disagree.

About what? The sartorial question or the hotness?

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:35 pm

Looks to me like Holly has had a nose job. Something's different from the last time I saw her.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:25 pm

WTF! I watched Justin Thomas hit a 299 yard 3-wood on #18 to 8 feet. It sat down like he hit a wedge. :o
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:27 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:WTF! I watched Justin Thomas hit a 299 yard 3-wood on #18 to 8 feet. It sat down like he hit a wedge. :o

Yup, and yesterday Dustin Johnson was also 299 yards out on #18: his 3 wood landed on the back of the green and went into the collection area another 30 or 35 yards past. The hole was playing at 676 yards, so over 700 yards in two shots! They are definitely playing a game I am not familiar with... :yess

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:42 am

Will Brian Harmon pull it off? Justin Thomas looks to be the guy to beat. Who does today's windy conditions favor? I'm pulling for Rickie. After seeing Thomas hit those awesome 3 wood shots yesterday, I'm thinking he should use it off the tee today in the wind. Koepka and Fleetwood, both playing very well too. Si Woo Kim who just won the Players is the real deal. Or is someone coming from the middle of the pack? There's Charlie Hoffman right there again, 4 shots back. Just like in the Master's. Patrick Reed is 4 back too. He hasn't been making much noise this year.

It oughta be fun to watch. I'm torn. Should I play this afternoon, or watch? I guess I'll decide based on how riveted I am to the TV at the time.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:55 am

Didn't know the wind was supposed to pick up today. Knowing that I will pick Rickey. He has been playing a pretty conservative strategy all week when others have taken advantage of the light winds. Also if he gets in they bad stuff he has the power to move it a little more than Harman.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

Return to “Golf on TV Forum”