The Open

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

The Open

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:47 pm

I was playing today so I missed it all. Hope to watch tomorrow morning. My favorite golf event for men.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: The Open

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:18 pm

AppleTV sucked me into yet another major sports championship. Jordan looks like he is rolling it really pure, and iron shots are spot on distance wise. Reminds me of a prime Eldrick "Tiger" Woods. :wah
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Kuchar. I'm sorry, just cannot relate to someone who walks around with that kind of "lights on, nobody home" expression all the time.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:03 am

I am sitting here drinking tea and watching "The" Open. What's up with people who are at the tournament, referring to the tournament as "the British Open"??!! If you are sitting in Idaho in December, discussing golf tournaments, then you can call it "British Open". If you are actually there, onsite, while the tournament is happening, you can just refer to it as "The Open" and people will get it.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:18 am

Kuchar is quietly very annoying. Besides the dopey, undeserved cheers that follow him around the course, there is that ever-present Howdy-Doody smile.
insufficient data

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Awesome display by Spieth! 5 under par on the last 5 holes. In the Open! His bogey on 13th after that way wayward drive was just amazing. This kid is the real thing.

And Kuch played some of the best golf I've seen him play in awhile. Felt like he did everything right, but Jordan was unstoppable.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:17 pm

I am exhausted emotionally after watching that. Jordan is so unpredictable, you never know when he is going to hit one off the planet, or pull off some sort of impossible scrambling recovery.

The field seemed to not show up this week.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:35 pm

I am not sure if I am impressed by Spieth's command of the Rules or disgusted with the way he twists them to his own end. That idea of dropping where there is an immovable obstruction so as to be allowed to move laterally is both genius and despicable. That kid is really savvy about the Rules.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Yes, I was flying my racist colors a bit. I did not want that Chinese guy to win. More because he hasn't paid his dues. But partially because he is mainland Chinese. I am fine with Taiwan, S. Korea, Thailand Japan, etc...ABC - Anyone But Chinese.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:18 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:I am not sure if I am impressed by Spieth's command of the Rules or disgusted with the way he twists them to his own end. That idea of dropping where there is an immovable obstruction so as to be allowed to move laterally is both genius and despicable. That kid is really savvy about the Rules.

I remember someone on the euro tour taking a drop in a bathroom for the same reason.

Found it

This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:59 pm

I was playing golf out of town today, and was listening to the tourney on satellite radio (even though it was PGA Tour station, they used the British feed.) What was funny was when they interviewed the Chinese guy after his round. That talked to him about the round, and asked him about what he knew about The Open. Then they asked if his parents were there, and then started to segue into his mom. He immediatly cut them off and asked for them not to talk about what she did at the French Open (going to fish his discarded broken putter out of the water.) Essientially, he said that everyone was giving him grief over that in the locker room.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Yes, I was flying my racist colors a bit. I did not want that Chinese guy to win. More because he hasn't paid his dues. But partially because he is mainland Chinese. I am fine with Taiwan, S. Korea, Thailand Japan, etc...ABC - Anyone But Chinese.

And why not. I think Mr Li felt the same way. After finishing his round he insisted he would be happy with a top four finish. I bet he spent the afternoon in the clubhouse shaking like a leaf terrified that the leaders would backup and drag him into the spotlight.
insufficient data

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Jordan is so unpredictable, you never know when he is going to hit one off the planet, or pull off some sort of impossible scrambling recovery.

In this regards, reminds you of a previous golf superstar.

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:15 am

GBOGEY wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:Jordan is so unpredictable, you never know when he is going to hit one off the planet, or pull off some sort of impossible scrambling recovery.

I had the exact same thought.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:52 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:I am not sure if I am impressed by Spieth's command of the Rules or disgusted with the way he twists them to his own end. That idea of dropping where there is an immovable obstruction so as to be allowed to move laterally is both genius and despicable. That kid is really savvy about the Rules.

I know that this is what happened, but I'm not sure that was his original intent. I think he was just looking for a good lie but when he went to that place the van was in the way. I think it was a two thought process, not a one, so not quite as manipulative as it seems to some. Interesting that it was his sponsor's van in the way.

BTW - Not sure about this, but if the range was been marked OB, I assume that he couldn't have dropped there. A little surprised that it wasn't OB but probably only because no one thought it would ever be in play.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:27 am

The explanation I heard was that Speith actually asked if the practice area was OB almost at the beginning of the discussion, and when he found out it was not, that was what started them on this rules journey. Also saw an interview with an R&A official, and he stated it was not OB for regular course play, and that they usually don't try to make changes unless it is a safety issue (I.e. where they made the 10th hole OB when playing 9.) But he also admitted they never thought about making it OB because they did not think abut anyone being that far right.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:43 pm

I don't think this was nearly as bad as having the gallery move a boulder out of your way.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:35 pm

DougE wrote:
GBOGEY wrote:

I had the exact same thought.

Phillip "Phil" Mickelson! This one reminded me of Winged Foot. Phil sprayed it around all day long yet scrambled his butt off to stay in the lead, eventually it caught up with him. I thought the same had happened to Jordan on the 13th hole.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:47 pm

When Kuchar plays everyone loves to make mooing sounds, like herd animals. When Jordan Spieth plays, why don't we all go "Speeeeeeeee"? Because it would sound weird?
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:33 pm

I was out of town working sunday - tonight and saw only a few holes replay last night at dinner :(
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Return to “Golf on TV Forum”