The Open

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: The Open

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:01 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:10 pm
His only realistic chance is if wind picks up like it's calling for. If it's calm again he'll have to shoot a 62 at absolute worse to get the win, and that might not even be good enough if it's calm. If the wind blows shooting 3-4 under might be able to get it done. So I think he's praying for some wind.
I partly feel good calling the winning score.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:00 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:01 pm
jasonfish11 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:10 pm
His only realistic chance is if wind picks up like it's calling for. If it's calm again he'll have to shoot a 62 at absolute worse to get the win, and that might not even be good enough if it's calm. If the wind blows shooting 3-4 under might be able to get it done. So I think he's praying for some wind.
I partly feel good calling the winning score.
I wouldn't strain my shoulder back-patting myself, way too much base-covering in that post to say you really called much of anything. :bored And come on it wasn't that windy today.
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:50 pm

For Tigertards, a Molinari win is not too hard to take. 35 year old first time major winner. Signifies little else besides Mr. Molinari's own hard work and dedication.

What I am trying to say is that if Jordan had won, it would've demoralized us. Would've been a real passing of the torch event. The narrative would have been: the game belongs to the youth, give it up old man, etc.

But for now, we will live to tard it up another day.

In my heart I really believe Tiger will win major before Jordan. Jordan is a gamer, a tough as nails kid, but he just does not have the ball striking gifts to match those of even an over-the-hill Tiger. And mentally, Tiger is still way tougher.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Gotta say, technology really came thru for the beefster today. I watched Tiger tee off from home, then went to the gym, where I followed along the action on the radio feed on The Open's phone app. At home I watched along on a Kindle that's installed in the kitchen while I cooked up ham and egg sandwiches. I was able to go about my normal business without missing any of the action. I am old-fashioned and not really a fan of modern hyper multi tasking but golf is a freakin slow game, to sit there and watch the whole thing while doing nothing is pretty lame. That'd be like 4-5 hours of sitting on the couch like a blob. Today I could actually feel modern technology propelling man forward into a better future. :ohyeah

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:08 pm

That last putt left a bad taste in my mouth. C'mon Tiger, yes you were not going to win but finish the job.

On to the PGA!
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:48 pm

I had a feeling before the day began that Molinari was going to be there at the end. He has been playing so well lately. Great ball striker and putting was not that difficult for the field in general, let alone him. He certainly putted good enough to win. He deserved it.

Tiger is showing those who had given up on him---those who have called him a "has-been"---that even after everything he's been through since 2008, the fall from grace, divorce, the injuries, multiple (5) back surgeries, swing coaches and everything else that seemed to work against him, that at 42 years old, he still has enough talent left in that used up old Tiger Woods body to play at the highest level with the best golfers in the world today. Basically, he is half the golfer he was and it is still good enough to be in the mix with the best. If he was the golfer he was 10 years ago, today's crop of great golfers would be looking up at him just like those of 10-20 years ago.

After today, I'm starting to think, he's got enough left to get back to the top again, though even I would be surprised to see him separate himself from the pack the way he did in his prime. That's key here---he is well past his prime, yet he is in the mix with the best present day golfers, who are IN their prime, giving them all a run for their money. Admit it Tiger haters, you were wrong and this is why Tiger commands the TV time he gets!

I almost feel sorry for those who never got to experience the Tiger of old. The Tiger who made the best players of today rich as a result of the sponsorship interest and huge purses they we willing to pay just because Tiger in the mix. Golf viewership doubled, tripled or maybe even quadrupled when Tiger came on the scene. People who didn't even play golf became interested to watch. No one before and no one since impacted the game like Tiger. Jack and Arnie, as great and loved as they were (Arnie is one of my all-time favorites), never affected the game financially, the way Tiger has.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:43 am

I don't know if Tiger has enough left to win a major. Watching him on the back nine reminded me of a lot of aging superstar golfers (Snead, Hogan, Nicklaus). Other than Nicklaus's miracle at the Masters, all of them competed for majors after they were 40-42 but none of them won. They could make the top 10 or even finish 2nd but they could not get over the hump and actually win.

My feeling is that after a golfer reaches the "forty-something" stage in their life, they have too many competing interests and their body doesn't allow them to practice the way they did when they were younger. They lose the edge they had on everyone else. I hope I am wrong.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Snead, Hogan and Nicklaus weren't really chasing records. "Majors" total was not something they specifically thought a lot about, I am guessing. In other words I feel they were not really playing with much stakes in their 40s and 50s. But who knows, maybe that extra desire is to Woods'es's detriment.

I believe if Hogan at 40 can win three so-called majors in one year, Tiger at 43 can get lucky and pick off a single here or there. Ernie Els was 42 and that guy don't lift shit, other than beers.