2018 PGA Tour Thread

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: 2018 PGA Tour Thread

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:23 am

DougE wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:07 am
Arnie was the real deal. So, yes, too soon. Actually, NEVER. (Though I realize you were saying it in jest.) After stories I have heard from regular Joe's who have met him (and I know more than a few personally), I can never, ever say a negative word about Arnie.
So I agree, I have known numerous people who met him and never had a bad word to say.

But it's my personal belief that you can't pull punches (or jokes). If you limit who you are willing to joke about by even 1 person, you probably should not be making jokes about anyone.

I respect Arnie enough to say he's not off limits. And from what I've heard, I think he'd be ok with that.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:30 am

No need to speculate on whether or not Arnold Palmer was a jerkass IMO. There's plenty of present-day jerkasses upon which to pile your scorn.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:36 pm

McIlroy, Spieth and Stenson MC

Rory and Jordan seem to be earnestly strugging with their games. Stenson just looks kind of disinterested; game's still there.

Anyways, surprising turn of events. What the hell is up with these guys. I know Jordan's been struggling, but maybe he got rattled out there seeing Tiger near his peak shotmaking powers. Last time they played together in Phoenix, Tiger was hobbled and Jordan beat him by fifteen or whatever. :lolz It's all changed now.
A golfball wizard's

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 pm

Rory's putter sucks so bad right now. It's really pathetic.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Matt Kuchar is for me the most detestable player in golf. Can barely stand to watch whenever he is on the TV. I am bothered by his entire existence (as a pro golfer at least). Swing, putting style, shirts, pants, shoes, socks, smile, all horrible to look at. The constant mooing that follows him around the course is of course the icing on this whole shitcake. No disrespect to this guy as a human or whatever but I look forward to his graduation to the so-called Champions Tour. And you know he's gonna be all over that shit, the doofus.
A golfball wizard's

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:28 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:22 pm
Matt Kuchar is for me the most detestable player in golf. Can barely stand to watch whenever he is on the TV. I am bothered by his entire existence (as a pro golfer at least). Swing, putting style, shirts, pants, shoes, socks, smile, all horrible to look at. The constant mooing that follows him around the course is of course the icing on this whole shitcake. No disrespect to this guy as a human or whatever but I look forward to his graduation to the so-called Champions Tour. And you know he's gonna be all over that shit, the doofus.
Agreed. He bugs the shit out of me too. For me, the icing is the shameless shilling he does for his sponsor Bridgestone, whenever he gets an oncourse interview. It turns my stomach.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:36 pm

He basically represents all that is lame about pro golf. Or at the least embodies more of it than any other single player, since Tom Kite at least. He was born like thirty years too late.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Jattruia's missing a good one. Tiger is getting embarrassed by young Corey Conners.
A golfball wizard's

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:13 pm

Corey Conners has the benefit of playing in the last group, after everyone has already moved on to follow Tiger. If Corey Connors were paired with Tiger and 1000 people were hovered over him watching him play golf, he'd shoot 77.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:13 pm
Corey Conners has the benefit of playing in the last group, after everyone has already moved on to follow Tiger. If Corey Connors were paired with Tiger and 1000 people were hovered over him watching him play golf, he'd shoot 77.
It's too bad he gets to play with Justin Rose tomorrow instead of Tiger. Bet he is breathing a sigh of relief. He probably would have puked all night if he knew he had to play alongside Tiger. Oh well, hopefully there will be great roars ahead of him, and they'll get in his head. Sorry Corey, nobody will be rooting for you unless Tiger crashes and burns early. (Which I gotta admit, is still possible.) Gotta suck, getting in as 3rd alternate in the field, then leading through 54 holes, yet you aren't the big story. Poor guy.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:55 pm

When Conners and Casey teed off today, Conners got like 3x the crowd support as Casey. Remember that it's wintertime in Florida, full of Canadans. He won't be alone out there tomorrow either. He played great today, probably the best of his life. His technique is clearly not on the elite level so it will be interesting to see if it can hold up on a Sunday against some big names. Smart money says no. He has barely any experience at this level.
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:32 am

While watching coverage yesterday, I thought of a fun game when I get the launch monitor.

Put the TV on PGA tour then try to replicate shots they hit obviously you can either attempt to hit the same yardages with what ever club you'd hit from that yardage or the same shot shape with the same club they hit and disregard the fact you are 20-40 yards short.

Seems like an interesting way to practice.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Paul Casey is probably weeping into his apertif right about now, realizing the magnitude of what he has accomplished.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:11 pm

I started flipping channels after Tiger hit OB on 16, and after he finished the round I switched over to the tennis match for good.

I realize that makes me a horrible person but I have come to accept it. At this age I just don't have the time or energy to be a truly great, upstanding fan of golf. I have weighed the positives and negatives and I am content to live out the rest of my existence like this. Unfortunate, but realistically speaking one cannot be everything they wish to be in life. Hope you all can find it in your hearts to accept me for what I am.
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:18 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:11 pm
I started flipping channels after Tiger hit OB on 16, and after he finished the round I switched over to the tennis match for good.

I realize that makes me a horrible person but I have come to accept it. At this age I just don't have the time or energy to be a truly great, upstanding fan of golf. I have weighed the positives and negatives and I am content to live out the rest of my existence like this. Unfortunate, but realistically speaking one cannot be everything they wish to be in life. Hope you all can find it in your hearts to accept me for what I am.
I'm not sure if that makes you better or worse than me.

I watch golf for 2 reasons:
1) Tiger is playing well. This is entertaining and keeps me interested
2) I want to find a quick way to fall asleep on a Saturday afternoon. I'll put golf on and be out cold within 3 holes, unless Tiger is playing well.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:36 pm

At least we have each other, down here in the gutter.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:27 am

I joke around but in all seriousness I think that being a "true fan" of golf is worth nothing. In other sports, to be a true fan requires some level of expertise and inside knowledge. For instance in baseball, a true fan knows how to keep a game score. Understands and deals in advanced metrics like VORP. Knows all about their favorite major league team as well as its farm system and developing prospects.

A "true golf fan" on the other hand doesn't know any more than anyone. They just gripe about shit like "babobooey" and Tiger Woods--that is about the only real distinction. Lame!
A golfball wizard's

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47 am

I admit I tune out when it's a bunch of schlubs, but you seriously couldn't be bothered to watch Rors finish up and hold off DeChambeau (apparently, everyone's villain on this site?).

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:53 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47 am
I admit I tune out when it's a bunch of schlubs, but you seriously couldn't be bothered to watch Rors finish up and hold off DeChambeau (apparently, everyone's villain on this site?).
Honestly no, wasn't interested to watch the end. You might think Rors is special but to us Tards he's just another fruity little Euro.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:56 am

I want to argue that point with you Beef, but I don't have time right now to write a 3-page essay on what makes a true golf fan. I'll just cut to the chase. I feel like I am a true golf fan. I have enjoyed the game since I was 10 years old, know the history, appreciate the tradition, caddied at a country club, worked on a grounds crew, played it casually, played it seriously, played it competitively, follow the PGA & LPGA closely, and more recently since it has become available, Symetra and Web.com Tours. I have read enough golf books---both instructional and biographical---to fill a bookcase. And the Golf Channel is on constantly in my house when I'm home, at least on one of the TVs (unless Tin Cup is playing) which I have already seen a hundred times or so. If you don't think I am a true fan of the game bring it on brother! :onfire

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:56 am
I want to argue that point with you Beef, but I don't have time right now to write a 3-page essay on what makes a true golf fan.
What do you mean? I just checked your weather. You got time. Don't tell me you are shoveling right now. There's no point in shoveling right now.
A golfball wizard's

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:44 pm

I think this is pretty accurate and there are only a select few real 'golf fans' (DougE included). I'm certainly not one of them. I watch golf on a weekend when there's literally nothing else to do. I'll watch the majors, especially the Master, and the Ryder Cup. But other than that, i don't really care too much. When it comes to baseball and college football on the other hand, i'l adjust plans to make sure i can watch games.

Part of it may be due to the lack of a true season; golf is just always in season. And, there's no real winner at the end of the season besides the BS FedEx cup and who really follows those 'standings' all season? However, when it comes to playing, i'm as addicted as anyone and i'll take playing 18 over watching it on TV any day of the week.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm the same. I'm a pretty awful golf "fan". I'm better than "mashed potatoes" guy, but still I'm pretty terrible. Generally it's super boring to watch on TV and I will typically only watch it for Tiger or so I can take a nap.

I watch the majors, or at least parts of them. But even then I'm not fully vested in anything.

I think jattruia has it right. Golf is never ending. It's just always there. Where as football is only there 5-6 months.

If I were comparing them to cookies. College football would be girl scout cookies. Everyone loves girl scout cookies because you can only get them for a portion of the year. Where as the PGA tour is more like oreos. Yeah they are ok, but no one is going out of their way to find oreos because you can find them in anyones pantry at any given time.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:38 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:19 pm
Where as the PGA tour is more like oreos. Yeah they are ok, but no one is going out of their way to find oreos because you can find them in anyones pantry at any given time.
Yeah, you clowns are licking the cream out out of the Double Stuffs and tossing the wafers, while DougE is savoring every scrap in the tray. Good on ya Doug.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:16 pm

You guys going to watch the Match Play? C'mon, it's something different, right? Head to head, mano a mano, man style golf with some head games and Sergio Garcia style 10 foot 'good-good?' gimmes ? It's like a plate of fresh white chocolate macadamias (or oatmeal raisin if you prefer) waiting for you guys to sink your teeth into. So top off your milk glass and dig in fellas.