2018 PGA Tour Thread

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: 2018 PGA Tour Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:22 am

DougE wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:48 pm
Reminds me of an old buddy of mine who took his clothes off at just about every party he went to once he got drunk (which happened at just about every party he attended). If any of our regular crowd would arrive late to any party that we knew he was at, someone in the group would inevitably ask, "Did Wayne take his clothes off yet?" That was the barometer as to whether or not any party was in full swing, or just getting started. Those were the days.
:lolz Everyone should have a friend like that
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:36 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:01 am
Was watching the replay of round 3 this morning while getting ready. I don't mean to disparage these guys, I mean they are great players, but sometimes it seems like all the PGA tour is a bunch of guys hitting wedge shots and trying to make putts. It seems like they almost never hit anything longer than a 9i, at least this week.

Good reminders from the telecast today: 1) Bryson De has studied golf balls and determined that in a place like Phoenix the ball flies 10 yards further at the end of a warm day than the beginning - need to remember this although probably not as extreme in our climes; 2) Never aim where a straight ball gets you in trouble - this is a big problem for me -taking it to the course.
Golf on TV tends to be boring like that IMO. Whenever you get a player who starts to chase some all-time records, maybe that has the effect of spicing up the overall narrative of pro golf, but now that we are regressing back towards the mean, we are seeing the golf-on-tv game for what it is. And it's not all about fist pumps and club twirls and swagger. Maybe we are back to "one shot at a time" and "playing my own game". We may have left the "golf clap" era behind, but I think golf may be returning back to its place as America's favorite Sunday afternoon sleep-aid.
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:46 am

I did fall asleep on the couch watching it yesterday. You might be right Beef.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 pm

I read some of the recap. Looks like an interesting final round scenario, a clash of the Rickie Fowlers and John Rams and even the Phil Mickelsons of the golf world. Potentially an interesting matchup, one would think.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Wow look at me, I am watching the Waste Management Open. The ironic hipster in me cannot help but to root for Reavie because he looks so out of place and overmatched. Short AND unathletic AND wonky looking swing, you don't see that much on today's PGAT. Also rooting in a more earnest way for Idyllwild, CA's own Brendan Steele. I root for that guy because I've been to Idyllwild, CA and let me tell you, ain't nobody playin' golf in Idyllwild. I guess that is an ironic sort of favoritism as well. I can't help it I guess. Anyone but Rickie. I'm sorry but Rickie is who the Man wants you to think is cool.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Man that Rickie Fowler has it made. They heap the attention and praise on him when he does well and when he flops, either by missing a cut at his hometown, home-sponsored event two weeks ago or by choking away a prime opportunity to win at yesterday's WMO, he gets a total pass. Total media blackout, on any Rickie Fowler bad news.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:02 pm

I am taking all of your silence on this matter as compliance. Unbelievable. They got you too huh. :nope

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Sorry, I don't dislike Rickie. He is far better than the average Tour player. I don't particularly care for some of his corny clothes and color choices, but he can usually back it up. He's normally a great putter, has a very solid short game most of the time and is a very consistent ball-striker overall. And young kids love him, which is good for the game. Though he may be confident, he's not outwardly cocky in my opinion.

Yes, he choked to some extent yesterday, but so too did #2 John Rahm and #4 Justin Thomas. Rickie and Rahm both finished at 12 under and Thomas at 11 under. All three were at the top of the leaderboard at one point. I get that you don't care for his gay-ass style and that he may get air time for being stylish, but he is in the conversation because he also has a great game. He's #7 in the world based on stats, not clothes. Rory is #8 btw.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:10 am

I don't really dislike Rickie Fowler the human being either. What is not to like or dislike? There isn't much of an actual personality to speak of, one way or the other. I just think the Rickie Fowler hype is insanely inflated. People complain about Tiger overexposure and it's like, yeah I totally get it. Not the actual complaining about Tiger because that guy won 79 times, but the feeling of getting pounded over the head by propaganda. Sorry but Rickie is not some swashbuckling cool guy. When he won the Players Championship, he got lucky on that 2nd shot into 16. You can't tell me he was aiming there, to the right of that pin. It was a daring and lucky shot just like Tiger in the 2000 Canadian Open. He didn't aim that shot there.

Anyways TPC was a great win by Rickie okay. but if you look at his overall record in final rounds, it is quite unremarkable. He is not a closer. He tends to wilt when he has a chance to win and the stats bear this out. He had the 54-hole lead on Sunday and ended up shooting one of the worst scores on the leaderboard.

Not criticizing any of this. Just criticizing the whole media exaltation of Fowler. Him and Wie are nearing 30 years old and the conversation around them is still like they are these fresh new teen phenoms. Eventually it will come back to bite us all in the ass. They can overhype Tiger and sort of get away with it, because of his record, and even on account of his present-day ability to entertain, even if he sucks and will never win again. Yeah I get that they are trying to promote the game and all, but come on. Everyone has a limit.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:32 am

Blame the media if you want, but don't take it out on Rickie. They decided to highlight him for whatever reason, of which I am sure they have a good one. He's got a great game and I don't get the impression that he seeks out attention, so he's okay in my book.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:56 am

Don't fuck with DougE, the Champion of the Rainbow Wardrobe. He'll bust your ass like a windchime.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:04 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:32 am
They decided to highlight him for whatever reason, of which I am sure they have a good one.
You are sure the media has a good reason for lying to us. DougE I thought you were more woke than that.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Just watched Ted Potter Jr and his chubby body and 161 mph max ball speed breezily hold off Dustin Johnson in a head to head duel at Pebble Beach. Have to laugh my ass off at people who insist that Tiger Woods is done, cannot win, cannot hang with today's elite young stars, the modern game has passed him by, etc. Golden Boy Jordan was here too. Jason Day too. Rory was here too, he putted like a total ass and missed the cut. Joining him was Mr. Perfect, Adam Scott. Listen all of these big names are great golfers of the ball but give me a break they are not exactly forming an impenetrable wall around the leaderboard. Even Phil had a chance this week to show up these youth. Chez Reavie with his wonky swing and short dad physique and two-years-late-to-the-party flat bill cap was also in the mix--for the second week in a row. :facepalm Not saying Tiger is going to come back and stuff everyone in a locker again. But golf tournaments are won all the time by non-elite players, determined journeyman who manage to ride a wave and put together four solid rounds.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Yeah, good for Ted and all, but no one loves a journeyman win, especially in golf. I'm hoping for superstar fireworks next week. Fingers crossed.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:06 am

The point is that people tend to overrate the difficulty of winning on the PGA TOUR. Yes it is very difficult but on the other hand, someone manages to do it every single week without fail. For us observers it obviously seems out of reach, impossible even. But for players who do this for a living, who have managed to win tournaments before, whether their name is Ted Potter or Tiger Woods, it is an entirely achievable feat. Nobody expects a Ted Potter or a Tiger Woods to dominate every week, but yesterday is hard proof that if guys like Ted Potter and who knows maybe even a Tiger Woods, are diligent about practicing, and they show up and give it their all, they have their chances to win. You guys act like all marginal players are helpless against the unassailable, godlike talents of the newer generation of elite players. Give me a goddang break here.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:46 pm

I wrote a rebuttal, but then re-read your post. Yes, it is very difficult. No, it's not impossible. I don't think anyone said that it is. I would qualify your statement and say that is is extremely difficult to win multiple times. Odds are that any of these super talented dudes are going to peak at the right time, possibly while others are having a slump, and pull off a win.

Ted Potter Jr is an extremely good golfer by any standard measure, but he'll likely retire with just a few PGA Tour wins. Same as all the other Ted Potters.

I really don't know for sure what separates the 'elites' from the Teds. I used to think that it was a mental edge, toughness, what have you, or that they were accustomed to winning and had fostered some sort of destiny/belief system in their ego from a young age.

A brief glance at Ted Potter Jr.'s wikipedia doesn't bear all of this out. He has the same story as anyone else on the PGA Tour, dad is a pro at at golf course, Ted picked up the game at an early age, dominated all through childhood and high school. So the guy won a lot at golf before he even jumped to the pros. Was it his talent or his mental edge that got him there? Both? Is Dustin Johnson just that much better? How much is talent and how much is mental? I've seen most of these dudes crumble on the Sunday back 9 (DJ included), so I think a lot of the time it is just sheer talent. Are Tiger (and Nicklaus, and Michael Jordan and Roger Federer) etc just once in a generation phenomenons then?

Focus seems to be a thing, I think. The ability to maintain it, intensely and specifically, without fail, for a long duration of time. The capacity to perform for an extended period, in (as hackeyed as it sounds) 'the zone', without slipping out of it due to mental exhaustion. Maybe that's the 'mental' aspect that only few possess. Brain stamina.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:21 pm

That is cool of you to attempt to engage. Really I am attacking straw men here. This idea that a player of Woods caliber somehow no longer has what it takes to win a trophy on the big tour.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 pm

I see. I think most would concede at least a couple, many likely doubt that he will become elite again. A lot of questions. I'll report back after I check in on him this Friday.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 am

I'm going with 'he won't be elite again.' He may chalk up a couple more wins, but i really don't think he'll ever get another major. He's not going to play forever (i hope) we all agree on that, and i believe the decline began with the (recent-ish) injuries, surgeries, and swing changes. Just my 2 cents.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:21 pm

So it's a Tiger, Rory and Justin Thomas pairing. That's gonna be a huge clusterfuck. I'm going to have to create a schematic once the tee times release. Definitely hole 11 and 17 tee boxes, 6th and 8th greens, fairways on 1, 5. Holes 12 and 13 are kind of tucked away, so maybe some opportunities there. I'll try to snap a few photos of beef's boy, Chez Reavie, as well.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:16 pm

jattruia wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 am
I'm going with 'he won't be elite again.' He may chalk up a couple more wins, but i really don't think he'll ever get another major. He's not going to play forever (i hope) we all agree on that, and i believe the decline began with the (recent-ish) injuries, surgeries, and swing changes. Just my 2 cents.
Ha ha, you changed your position. Last month you stated a belief that Tiger would never win again. I figure by the end of the year you guys are gonna be like "yeah well, I suppose he can win a major, but only if it's a crappy PGA Championship".

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 am

Oh, i still don't THINK he'll win again, but there's a chance. However, i also think there's a BETTER chance of him mis-firing a glut and re-injuring himself. Like i've said before, people need to temper their expectations. He's not the same golfer he was 10 years ago.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 am

jattruia wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 am
Like i've said before, people need to temper their expectations. He's not the same golfer he was 10 years ago.
No they don't. We are talking about sports fandom. Not exactly a bastion of realism and rational thought.

Tiger, started to decline in 2009. Still did lots of good stuff as a declining golfer. I don't believe people should just drop their favorite sports people as soon as they begin their declines. That's too uncompromising, for this casual hack of a sports fan at least.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:21 pm
So it's a Tiger, Rory and Justin Thomas pairing. That's gonna be a huge clusterfuck. I'm going to have to create a schematic once the tee times release. Definitely hole 11 and 17 tee boxes, 6th and 8th greens, fairways on 1, 5. Holes 12 and 13 are kind of tucked away, so maybe some opportunities there. I'll try to snap a few photos of beef's boy, Chez Reavie, as well.
To be clear I am not exactly a Chez Reavie guy. I just enjoy watching someone like him succeed because it violates a bunch of norms in 2018.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:33 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 am
jattruia wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 am
Like i've said before, people need to temper their expectations. He's not the same golfer he was 10 years ago.
No they don't. We are talking about sports fandom. Not exactly a bastion of realism and rational thought.

Tiger, started to decline in 2009. Still did lots of good stuff as a declining golfer. I don't believe people should just drop their favorite sports people as soon as they begin their declines. That's too uncompromising, for this casual hack of a sports fan at least.
You're right, fandom is what it is. I guess i'm just really over this circle jerk every time this declining golfer hits a green in regulation.