2018 PGA Tour Thread

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: 2018 PGA Tour Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:16 pm
You guys going to watch the Match Play? C'mon, it's something different, right? Head to head, mano a mano, man style golf with some head games and Sergio Garcia style 10 foot 'good-good?' gimmes ? It's like a plate of fresh white chocolate macadamias (or oatmeal raisin if you prefer) waiting for you guys to sink your teeth into. So top off your milk glass and dig in fellas.
To me the Match Play is little more than a showcase for the overwhelming parity in pro golf 2018. They're all good enough to beat each other. Roughly 95% of these matches are functionally a coin toss. There might be a handful of players that show an above-average aptitude for the match format but other than that, coin toss. One could be the best match player on the planet, but then run into a hot putting opponent on the very first day of this tournament and get sent packing.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:38 pm

You're all glass half empty today, aren't you ? That's S.A.D.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:47 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:34 pm
One could be the best match player on the planet, but then run into a hot putting opponent on the very first day of this tournament and get sent packing.
Not anymore, which unfortunately makes it more stupid/complex.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:16 pm
It's like a plate of fresh white chocolate macadamias (or oatmeal raisin if you prefer) waiting for you guys to sink your teeth into. So top off your milk glass and dig in fellas.
I'm trying to lose 10 lbs before I have to stop wearing vests or pullovers on the course to hide stuff, but I'll be watching at least some of the matches anyway....without the cookies and milk. (I just bought skim milk for my 1/2 bowl of cereal. Eeeew!)

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:20 pm

DougE - a ray of sunshine in the dark doldrums of this thread.

I too will be watching with great avidity. Also, I'm a soy milk guy.
Bluto did it

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:04 pm

Oh hell yeah, Rory down 5 with 5 to go, and rattled off 3 straight birdies, Chez trying to mount a come back vs Asian Daly.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:10 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:47 pm
legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:34 pm
One could be the best match player on the planet, but then run into a hot putting opponent on the very first day of this tournament and get sent packing.
Not anymore, which unfortunately makes it more stupid/complex.
Jesus Christ you are right. They changed it like five years ago. Boy do I look stupid.
A golfball wizard's

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 pm

I like all kinds of cookies, with no milk (and no milk in my coffee either...). And although I am not as hardcore a fan as Doug is, I DVR every PGA Tour round, some of European Tour (mostly Dubai and Asia) and try to watch portions of them. Sometimes, things get in the way, including actual golf, and I skip a round here or there, but I generally watch, Tiger or not. The Match Play is interesting, just because it's different, and the winners have to play 7 rounds over 5 days (2 on Sat. and 2 on Sun), not exactly an easy thing to do.
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:17 pm

Is pro golf fandom really much of a thing? My contention is sort of that golf is actually too big and wonderful to be enjoyed as a true spectator sport. You can't have it all. NFL football might be great to watch, but how many of us could ever enjoy any kind of activity that remotely resembles it? Anyways most sports involve everyone competing in one arena, every play seen by everyone. Golf is so unique among ball sports because of the massive setting.

I feel that most pro golf fandom is incidental--we cannot help but watch because we play too. I think it can be great as a spectator sport, but only in a limited scope. Whether in person or on the tube, you have to follow one group and watch all the shots and see how it adds up to a score, 18 holes, 5+ miles, 4+ hours later, in order to really appreciate how well a player did. The way TV coverage tries to show everyone, it's inherently boring. Putts are the shots that complete the score obviously, but they are mostly boring to watch, and they make up so much of the coverage. "This was just a moment ago..." then they show Charley Hoffman or whoever holing a 8-footer. Bleh. I'm not criticizing, because I can't think of a better way to cover golf, I'm just trying to examine the inherent difficulty of TV golf, or something.
A golfball wizard's

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:04 pm

I'm always amazed by how the mind impacts golf, even when we don't think it does. I know that my play suffered when my old company was going through really tough times. Shouldn't matter when you are playing on a weekend, but it did.

Today I had the alternate event on mute while I was working from home. Graeme McDowell and Hunter Mahan are in the event as both no longer qualify for the Match Play. Both were not that long ago reliable Ryder cup qualifiers. Both seem to have diminished about the same time that they got married, had kids, opened restaurants, etc. In other words life distracted them IMO.

Nothing wrong with that. Most people would be thrilled to earn what they earned at a young age. If one could earn that much money, then focus on family, really that's a very good life and can probably say that they are better people than I am by having such a strong focus on non-work (golf) matters. But still interesting IMO.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:16 am

The number one player in the world is not looking so number one-y lately. Where is the outrage. Even Luke Donald and Westwood, guys like that, got way more shit piled on them when they were number one. Dustin Johnston is the most under the radar world #1 ever. Probably because he is such a chill dude.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:17 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:04 pm
Today I had the alternate event on mute while I was working from home. Graeme McDowell and Hunter Mahan are in the event as both no longer qualify for the Match Play. Both were not that long ago reliable Ryder cup qualifiers. Both seem to have diminished about the same time that they got married, had kids, opened restaurants, etc. In other words life distracted them IMO.
These guys got restaurants?! They'd better be good. I mean if these guys are willing to toss aside their pro golf careers for the sake of. :puke
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:29 am

So, read a story last week on wrx about rowdy fans who yell stupid shit and/or negative comments about, or insults at, individual players. Sometimes in a backswing. Billy Horschel said it is getting out of hand and that one of these days a player may go inside the ropes to retaliate. One wrx’er responded with the following. He was one of a smaller percentage who sees it this way.

"Ahhh let’s see these spoiled brats get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to walk and play the best courses in the world, fans stand shoulder to shoulder and have a hard time moving or seeing, plus they pay money to watch. I say they can make whatever comments they want whenever they feel like it. Have these spoiled brats been to a soccer, hockey, football, basketball game etc. if you can’t take the heat get out of the kitchen."

I responded to his comment, but so far anyway, my comment has not been approved by a moderator for posting. I guess they are taking their sweet ass time or don't moderate on Fridays or weekends. Stupid site. In any case, this was the gist of my reply. I am curious as to how you feel about those who yell and scream at a PGA (or LPGA) event.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Most of these guys are not spoiled. They have committed their lives to get to where they are. Spoiled people typically take the easy way.

All the sports you mention are team contact sports. Fan noise is not only expected in those types of sports, but encouraged. The tradition of golf has always been one of respect for the game and the etiquette with which it should be played. Rowdy crowds were never part of the game until recent generations took over. Respect for the game has gone out the window over the last 20-30 years, and I feel it has hurt the game. 

I was lured to this wonderful game back in my early teens, partially because of its long, fascinating history and very much due to the serene beauty of the landscapes, the classically elegant style of the players and the respectful etiquette practiced both inside and outside the ropes. That was back in the late 60s. Things have changed a lot since then, which of course, should always be expected, but unfortunately, a lot of that change is not necessarily for the better. 

I feel for today’s professional competitors, who have worked virtually their entire lives, day in and day out to get to this elite level, who then have to put up with loud-mouthed, drunken slobs who have no respect whatsoever for the game, or appreciation for the work and commitment these professionals had to put in to reach this rarified air. 

Golf isn’t basketball, football, hockey or rugby. Golf once had a classiness to it, whether at a country club or a town muni. You dressed properly to play on the course, with respect for those around you. Not so much anymore, and that lack of standard has also spilled over into many of those who make up today’s galleries. They aren’t golf fans. They are classless, attention seeking, (mostly) white trash, IMHO. It’s a damn shame.

I realize I am an old stick in the mud to some, but I am a nostalgic person by nature. (I think the older you get, the more nostalgic you become.) I really respect the game and the players who work their tails off to get to the Tour. It doesn't just happen by having inherent skills bred into you. It doesn't matter how much of a natural you may be, it still takes work. Hard work. Dedication and commitment. Not in just your free time, but all the time. 7 days a week, for hours everyday, typically with a coach by your side (unless you are Bubba). I can appreciate it because I know how much I work on my own game (probably 20-30 hours a week) and it doesn't come close to what is required. (Of course, I don't have the youth necessary to get much better, nor was I born with the inherent ability it takes.)

So how do you feel about the lack of respect for the game by some (not all) in the galleries?

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:38 am

Not sure if you saw my response in the thread on wrx about JT kicking someone out at Honda.

Anyways that thread was more along the lines of personal attacks. To which I posed the question why is it ok to personally attack someone in the NFL? I think the personal attacks are way out of line, regardless of the event.

As for the idiot who yells mashed potatoes after someone hits. Personally I think it's stupid, but I've kind or resigned myself to the realization that a person is smart but a group of people is only as smart as the dumbest one. So it isn't surprising anymore (which is kind of sad).

For the people who scream during the back swing that deserves to get you insta booted from the event. Unfortunately there isn't a more appropriate worse punishment. Maybe at the events on private property they can enforce some type of fine and print it on the ticket? Not sure the legality of fining someone for something that's legal in a public area, but you've deemed "illegal" on your private property. Seems hard to enforce.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:56 am

DougE wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:29 am
So how do you feel about the lack of respect for the game by some (not all) in the galleries?
Seems to me that galleries started getting shitty once Tiger hit the scene. Golf was always on the TV in my house growing up but I only really started watching for myself around 2004 and I did take notice of the "get in the hole" and stuff--it surprised me at first how quickly after impact they would yell.

Who knows why this is becoming a story now. Maybe the younger generation are more sensitive. I have read separate complaints now from Justin Thomas, Rickie and Rory. Interestingly Tiger never seems to complain and he has to deal with the worst of it, every single round. Justin and Co are great golfers obviously but maybe their dads should've dropped keys during their backswings and junk like that while they were growing up.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:02 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:38 am
For the people who scream during the back swing that deserves to get you insta booted from the event. Unfortunately there isn't a more appropriate worse punishment. Maybe at the events on private property they can enforce some type of fine and print it on the ticket? Not sure the legality of fining someone for something that's legal in a public area, but you've deemed "illegal" on your private property. Seems hard to enforce.
I think I've read that PGA Tour event tickets specifically list heckling as a prohibited behavior.

Enforcement might be a little easier if the tour relied more on paid staff and less on volunteers. The cheap bastids.
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:04 am

Beef you post comes off like you are saying they should suck it up. I agree I feel the players complaining about ut will just make things worse for themselves, and thus probably shouldn't have complained. But you shouldn't go to work expecting someone to intentionally attempt to mess you up. I don't really care who you are or what you do. I don't like see through backboards in basketball because the fans in the background attempt to screw up the guy throwing free throws.

Maybe I'm just an old man at heart though
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:05 am

I gave up my right to complain a while ago. It happened during the third round of the 2015 KPMG Women's PGA Championship. Karrie Webb teed off on the 18th hole and I yelled "bababooey". I was a little intoxicated but I don't think that really factored. I just wanted to add some energy to the dull atmosphere. Maybe that wasn't the right way to do it. I don't regret it though. I was just living in the moment.
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:07 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:02 am
jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:38 am
I think I've read that PGA Tour event tickets specifically list heckling as a prohibited behavior.

Enforcement might be a little easier if the tour relied more on paid staff and less on volunteers. The cheap bastids.
Maybe we can get hired. Hell as a volunteer I'd be yanking these idiots really quickly.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:09 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:05 am
I gave up my right to complain a while ago. It happened during the third round of the 2015 KPMG Women's PGA Championship. Karrie Webb teed off on the 18th hole and I yelled "bababooey". I was a little intoxicated but I don't think that really factored. I just wanted to add some energy to the dull atmosphere. Maybe that wasn't the right way to do it. I don't regret it though. I was just living in the moment.
What? The guy who plays blades and won't touch a hybrid?

I believe part of this forum died a little today.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:41 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:09 am
I believe part of this forum died a little today.
Business as usual around here. :lolz
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:42 pm

I am not just saying this to troll mr. jattruia but Bubba has got to be my second favorite player to watch. The guy is really good, at golf.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:35 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:42 pm
I am not just saying this to troll mr. jattruia but Bubba has got to be my second favorite player to watch. The guy is really good, at golf.
Yes he is. Never took a lesson either. A good reason to root for him. A true artist of the game.

Duke of Hazards

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:25 am

Regarding the fans, we've seen a spike in rowdiness concurrent with Tiger's return. He draws non golf fans to events. I've seen it first hand. Hopefully it dies down soon once the novelty of Tiger's return subsides.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:22 am

is this how the cool kids are posting these days?
A golfball wizard's