European Tour in Saudi Arabia

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

European Tour in Saudi Arabia

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:19 am

Time once again to take advantage of our platform and discuss shit that is too controversial, too sensational, let's face it too grown-up for literally every other golf-oriented messageboard out there.

The European Tour plays in Saudi Arabia this week. Paul Casey is declining to play on account of you know, murderous human rights violations and shit. Others such as world number one Justin Rose, Dustin Johnson and Koepka (who smoothly brushed off criticism by saying, "People are always going to have different views on politics wherever you go") do not see enough of a problem to skip the event. If you ask me the players are not playing Saudi Arabia because they love this tournament or its locale, but because they are getting paid appearance fees.

5-time Masters Champion Tiger reportedly turned down his invitation. Lucky for him because I doubt he did so in response to any concerns about human rights. He probably just didn't want all that travel. I say lucky because he'd have a huge P.R. headache right now if he had accepted. Nadal and Djokovic were supposed to also play some tennis here but they backed out. Tennis players are lucky because they can always claim injury. Jesus Christ, like it'd be so bad to come out and say you don't approve of killing journalists. Oh no, we can't say that! We have too many endorsement deals! Fuckin ghouls. Enjoy hell!

Nothing is simple though. I realize I am probably not considering both sides of this story. I am sure one of you will come along shortly to set me straight, and explain why I am wrong here and why the Saudis are good people and I am not being fair. In any case, I consider this kind of a watershed event. I never assumed that elite golfers/sportspeople were any better or even morally similar to your average middle or lower class person. But incidents such as this have a way of revealing priorities. I probably can't look at Justin Rose, DJ, Koepka etc the same ever again. They have blood on their hands IMO.
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Re: European Tour in Saudi Arabia

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:20 am

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:02 am

I know you are looking for a counter point. I don't have one, I agree that it's in bad taste to basically help promote Saudi Arabia and by default the crap their government is doing.

It's pretty obvious the big names are simply going for a pay check, which is a load of shit because they have enough money that the extra $1mm or what ever probably doesn't have too much utility to them.

The only person I think might get a pass is DJ. I'm pretty certain he is so dumb he occasionally needs to remind himself to breath, so I really doubt he can even comprehend what is being done by Saudi officials let alone what a "human rights violation" would even consist of. So I kind of give him the ok to play the "I are dumb" card here.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:12 am

Not only is that insulting, it's wrong. So what if Dustin is dumb. You don't need smarts to tell between right and wrong. You ever seen this little flick called "Forrest Gump". Pretty sure Forrest (yes I know it is a fictitious character that is beside the point) would not have accepted a big check to go play ping pong in Nazi Germany or whatever. Even if Dustin Johnson is dumb it doesn't matter, he (and anyone that successful) is effectively the CEO of corporation at this point. He is surrounded by people who know what's what. Anyways, Dustin Johnson knows painfully well about the value of human life and murders and murder trials as he was involved in one himself.

I wasn't actually looking for a counterpoint, it was more a sarcastic implication about people in general. Far as I can tell there is no reasonable counterpoint here. If you accept money to play in Saudi Arabia, you are a shit person. It's a black and white issue.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:15 am

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:17 am

Is the Euro tour happy about the Li penalty last week? That penalty probably moved the narrative this week away from the fact they are playing in Saudi Arabia.

I'm not saying it should have changed the narrative, but it sure didn't add any extra media around them going to SA.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:20 am

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:47 pm

I was in the process of writing something quasi-contrarian, but in the process read a few web articles detailing all the fucked up shit that this Saudi prince bin Salman's been doing for the past couple years. I guess I was just ignorant (aside from the Khashoggi hit) of the details. Maybe these dudes that are playing are clueless like I was, but it really only took me like 15 minutes to change my mind. Yeah, I wouldn't play there.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:55 am

The only contrarian point I can see is if you signed a contract prior to researching, and there is no easy way out of the contract without paying something. But if that were the case I'd scream injury and just take two weeks off.

I'd feel less gross giving them "press" than giving them actual cash. Their benefit from me playing isn't as tangible so it makes it easier to get comfortable with in that situation. But again it shouldn't have been that way if I did a little research first.
Keep it short stupid.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:31 am

https://eddiepepperell.wordpress.com/20 ... adventure/

Here is one player's defense for being there.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:11 am

srogers13 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:31 am
https://eddiepepperell.wordpress.com/20 ... adventure/

Here is one player's defense for being there.
Easy for an Eddie Pepperell to say retarded shit like "The problem with taking a moral approach to us golfers playing in Saudi Arabia this week is that it would lay bare many contradictions of the past." Easy to say because Eddie Pepperell is not a, you know, journalist.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:02 pm

Yknow that Chris Columbus guy was pretty shitty to the natives. We should boycott all events in the Americas, and probably Italy too. And Spain too, since they financed that motherfucker.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:12 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:02 pm
Yknow that Chris Columbus guy was pretty shitty to the natives. We should boycott all events in the Americas, and probably Italy too. And Spain too, since they financed that motherfucker.
The English, Scottish, and Irish haven't always been the best stewards of humanity either.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:12 pm
legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:02 pm
The English, Scottish, and Irish haven't always been the best stewards of humanity either.
We are laying bare the contradictions of the past aren't we. That is a problem according to Eddie Pepperell. We should just crack open another beer, plug our fingers in our ears and try to pretend bad stuff never happens.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:20 am

I suspect that every foreign golfer who plays in the USA is not tacitly supporting our President and his policies. That being said, I personally find the Saudi government to be especially reprehensible. Maybe not to the scale of N. Korea or Iran, but still, somewhat in the same basket.

If offered $1,000,000. to play at any of those places, I would like to think I would say no thanks. If someone makes the opposite decision, I won't throw stones at them.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:32 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:20 am
I suspect that every foreign golfer who plays in the USA is not tacitly supporting our President and his policies. That being said, I personally find the Saudi government to be especially reprehensible. Maybe not to the scale of N. Korea or Iran, but still, somewhat in the same basket.

If offered $1,000,000. to play at any of those places, I would like to think I would say no thanks. If someone makes the opposite decision, I won't throw stones at them.
Golfers come to USA for opportunities because there are many here because USA is a golfing country for over a century. Saudi Arabia is no golfing country. The government is staging this and other gaudy bullshit under the auspice of "entertainment" trying to project a false image to the world. Hey guys, see? We are cool! We like music and sports and freedom and equality and shit and we are civilized like you westerners. Yes! Is good! You like!

:fu

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:25 pm

Serge Garcia got DISQUALIFIED from the tournament for throwing a fit and raging all over NOT ONE BUT MULTIPLE GREENS.

A very sensational story for sure. To me it is pretty obvious what happened. The fucking prince paid Sergio a few hundred mil to create a big news story, take some heat off the government and the golf tournament. Oh, ok I am the bad guy. The Saudi government would never throw money around so wantonly, right? Or do anything underhanded like that, right? Yep, I am the bad guy. You go on believing that. What do I care. It's all over, let's face it. This whole experiment with civilization, and society, and law, and order, democracy, capitalism, you name it. All going to fucking hell.