Weighted club

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Weighted club

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed May 29, 2019 4:14 pm

I bought one many, many years ago. Used it for a little while (improperly), then shelved it, for many, many years. Now I have dusted it off. I am using it as a strength trainer, mainly to improve core strength through impact. Not really looking for speed or anything, just trying to work those muscles and joints that bear the most force of the swinging motion.

I use a Momentus. Then again that's the only brand I've really ever heard of. I've heard of people filling a regular shaft with sand. Maybe I will try that too. Not sure where the prevailing wisdom on weighted clubs stands currently. Probably out of fashion. I know that people use the opposite, lightweight sticks to develop speed. I still turn the club upside down and practice swinging that way, and I feel it is also instructive in its own way.
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Re: Weighted club

Post by DougE » Wed May 29, 2019 5:06 pm

Orange Whip. Last I heard, there was one in a large percentage of Tour players' bags. There is one in mine too. Everyday, before I swing a club I find my tempo with my Orange Whip. (However mine is painted Titleist red! Orange clashed in my bag. ;) )
Attachments
IMG_1545.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG (137.72 KiB) Viewed 267 times

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed May 29, 2019 8:45 pm

Checkout SuperSpeed clubs: 2 lighter than your driver and one heavier. Good for speed training as the name implies. Swinging a club upside down doesn't really help because it changes the mechanics (dynamics?) of the swing. I am not sure what the Orange (Red?! WTF) Whip really does in that regard: it seems heavier than normal, which is not really good for speed training: research has shown that heavier clubs actually slow speed down (when reverting to normal club, of course)... I no longer warm up with 2 clubs anymore either, for the same reason.
I'm gonna go low this time...

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu May 30, 2019 7:24 am

sjduffers wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:45 pm
Checkout SuperSpeed clubs: 2 lighter than your driver and one heavier. Good for speed training as the name implies.
There's a cheaper version that is the same weight as the SS. It's https://www.diamondtour.com/accelerator ... ystem.html
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:53 am

I have done a bit of research on these. There seem to be 2 benefits from "weighed" clubs. I put weighted in quotes because some are under weight.

If you want to work on stretching and tempo you go with something like the orange whip (or red in Doug's case).

If you want speed training you go with something like SSG which has 3 weights, one slightly under weight one about the same as a driver and one slightly over weight. The real key to swing speed training seems to be more in being able to measure progress and get instant feedback on if the changes you are making work. I actually tested it out not using weighed clubs but using my normal driver and skytrak. I would swing balls out on the last 10-15 balls not caring where they go, just focusing on ball speed. In about 3 months my average ball speed jumped from upper 140s to lower 160s. Then when I made a normal swing ball speeds went from mid 140s to high 150s. The difference is about 20-30 yards of carry distance.

So from a speed training aspect if money is tight I'd just get a swing speed radar ($100 or less) and just spend 20-30 swings a day seeing how fast you can make your driver go. No ball just pure hulk smash swings. I would bet money that your SS jumps 5-10 mph in 3 months if you did this 3-4 times a week.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu May 30, 2019 9:09 am

Jason, I agree with you. On both points. The Orange Titleist Red Whip :quotez is excellent for swing tempo and the only reason I use it. I certainly don't expect to gain swing speed and did not start using it for that 4 or 5 years ago.

Secondly, I too have been researching the SSG system and have read all the great reviews. I believe there is something to the concept. I am not surprised by your results with your driver, basically swinging out of your boots and not worrying about where the ball goes. It makes sense to me that you would gain swingspeed over time by doing this.

For me it is all about control. I gain and lose it from day to day sometimes, so swinging faster can sometimes result in making me look like an idiot. :facepalm If I could LOCK in my swing so no matter what, I would hit the ball consistently, coming in from virtually the same path on every swing, with good sequencing and weight shift, I think I would THEN really consider the SSG training system. But, first things first for me. 99% repeatable driver swing. (Hell, I'd settle for 89%.) Then worry about adding more speed to it.

But, man, I could sure benefit from 20-30 yards more carry with my driver. I'm guessing we all could. (Surprisingly, I'm satisfied with my iron swing speed/distances.)

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:55 am

I'm not saying that you should try it. But for me it just moved the baseline up for all swings. I didn't lose any control (not that I had a ton to spare anyways) but my "smooth" swing just got faster. I sure didn't play enough to gather meaningful stats but I don't think the inconsistencies in my swing increased by doing this. If anything I actually got more consistent and felt more comfortable with driver.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu May 30, 2019 12:40 pm

Interesting how this has devolved into a swing speed discussion. For my part I am not looking for speed but rather brute core strength. I really believe that getting stronger (in the right places) is the path to a better swing. At this stage nothing more than a crackpot theory. But I am confident that I 1. am onto something and b. will prove it eventually.
Build a bridge and get over it.