Finding an Open Course

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Finding an Open Course

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:15 am

This time of year requires a certain talent to locate a golf course that has prematurely opened to the public. 60 degrees, sunny and almost all the snow is gone, so the hordes are clamoring for golf. The stubborn green keepers stand in the way. Also, the fantastic financial year of 2020 for golf has made premature opening less financially sound. Beating up one's course for a few March rounds may not make sense.

I have been surprised by a few mainstays of the March golf scene. Fox Hills has always been "open" based on the weather, A buddy and I played two rounds with a cart in February a few years ago. This year, the 63 hole layout remains dormant. Huron Hills is closed for major course surgery. Green Oaks continues to be quiet. WTF!!! :fkno

I started to look at courses that I figured still have some financial difficulty: Mom & Pop owned, away from the population centers. Bingo. Calderone Farms was open for business. Now I need to wrangle a foursome to play. This time of year, there is a good chance of the course being overrun, so a single player might not survive.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: Finding an Open Course

Post by DougE » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:29 am

I didn't realize you were cleared by the doctor yet to play. Yippee, that's great news if my realization is correct. I hope you get out there, but take it easy on yourself. And, let us know how it goes.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:17 am

DougE wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:29 am
I didn't realize you were cleared by the doctor yet to play. Yippee, that's great news if my realization is correct. I hope you get out there, but take it easy on yourself. And, let us know how it goes.
I did not specifically receive the "go ahead" from my doc. I decided "no strenuous activity" allowed me to play with a cart. I am thinking about reducing my club count to 8 and walking 18. I plan on running that idea by my surgeon next week. I already have a super lightweight bag so with 8 clubs and a few balls and tees, it might be under 15 pounds.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:56 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:17 am
I did not specifically receive the "go ahead" from my doc. I decided "no strenuous activity" allowed me to play with a cart. I am thinking about reducing my club count to 8 and walking 18. I plan on running that idea by my surgeon next week. I already have a super lightweight bag so with 8 clubs and a few balls and tees, it might be under 15 pounds.
I know my hernia surgery doesn't compare to what you went through, but FWIW golf wasn't considered strenuous post surgery including walking the course. I think in general if you listen to your body, and your body says it's okay, its okay. It's when you don't listen that trouble strikes - but that's the case about a lot of things.