Swapping out a club

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Swapping out a club

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:16 am

I have been so inconsistent with my 3-hybrid that yesterday I re-gripped my 4-iron that has languished in the basement for years. Time will tell whether this is a good move or just one more step toward mediocrity. :facepalm
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: Swapping out a club

Post by DougE » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:10 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:16 am
I have been so inconsistent with my 3-hybrid that yesterday I re-gripped my 4-iron that has languished in the basement for years. Time will tell whether this is a good move or just one more step toward mediocrity. :facepalm
Brian, you might want to consider testing out a utility iron to swap out with your hybrid. You'll get a lot of the benefits of a hybrid in a more traditional looking iron shape. The only negative I have been able to identify is the utility is more difficult from deep rough, just like most any long iron. It's fine if the ball isn't sitting down, though.

I can not believe how well I hit mine, yet would never have thought so before actually trying it. I had been playing a regular 4i, but I was looking for a little longer distance in that spot (between my 21* hybrid and my 5 iron). Since I was pretty consistent with my set-4i as far as the quality of my ballstriking goes, I was curious to see if I could hit a utility iron as well. As it turns out, not only was my ballstriking just as good, but my ballflight gave me more options. So I put a new 3i shaft in the 4i utility to make a sort of 3/4i, yet can get a high trajectory if I need it, much easier than with a regular 3 or 4 iron. I have found that it is also easier to hit straight than most any other club in my bag. I'm not sure why, but I now have as much confidence in my 3/4i as I do in a 9i. Just a thought.

FYI, I'm playing a Titleist U500 utility iron with a custom Graphite Design Tour AD UT 85g stiff, 3i weight and length shaft in it. But, even before I installed that exotic shaft, I was hitting it very well with a Tensei 95g standard graphite iron shaft in it. The new shaft has just added 5 or so more yards of carry, exactly as I had hoped. The rest of my irons are steel shafted.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:24 pm

When I have what I think is the best game I am likely to have, I hope to toss all my clubs and get a new line up. Until my recovery is complete and/or I stop getting better, I am making do with my 4 iron. So far it has yielded 2 for 2 on approach shots with GIRs (one a par 3 and one a longer par 4). It is never going to be my go to club but I do feel more confident (perhaps foolishly) in my results when I occasionally pull the 4-iron.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:23 am

Well, the 4-iron has solidified its place in the bag. I use it sparingly and while its performance is not 100%, I feel confident as to the direction of the shot.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Swapping out another club

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:55 pm

Swapped another club. I always felt that I was not skilled enough around the green to benefit from a 60 degree or lob wedge. Loooong ago I bought a set (3) of Tom Watson wedges built by Adams Golf (remember that name?!?!). I gave the Approach/Gap Wedge to my step son and I continue to use the Sand Wedge. The 60 degree wedge languished in the basement. I was carrying a vintage Taylormade "Cleek" that was good from gnarly lies. Hit the ball high and roughly 160-170 yards. I no longer seemed to be able to make the "cleek" perform and frankly, I was just carrying it around because I could have 14 clubs in my bag.

Right now the 60 degree is only used within 30 yards or less of the green. I am learning how far and high it will go and the expected release distance. I hope I learn how to use it effectively this Autumn.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:14 am

When I first took up golf I found an old 64 degree Ping wedge that had belonged to my stepfather. Could hit that thing sky high but no distance control. Then I read Butch Harmon say that no amateur should have a wedge over 58 degrees so I shelved it. I seem to have lost it over the years - wish I had it now to play around with, but I've always stuck with the 58 degree rule.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:28 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:14 am
When I first took up golf I found an old 64 degree Ping wedge that had belonged to my stepfather. Could hit that thing sky high but no distance control. Then I read Butch Harmon say that no amateur should have a wedge over 58 degrees so I shelved it. I seem to have lost it over the years - wish I had it now to play around with, but I've always stuck with the 58 degree rule.
That makes sense. I intend to continue to experiment but may discard the 60 if I can't figure out how to hit it. I may end up carrying 13 clubs.
Let's Play 36

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:21 am

I use a 60* lower bounce (8*) most of the time, or a 58* higher bounce (12*) for when the conditions are very soft. I only carry one of them at a time and it's mostly the 60. I'd guess I use it for about 75% of my work inside 75 yards and 90% inside 20, with pretty damn good results most of the time (when I'm playing and practicing everyday). My 54* gets the remainder of the work, with the exception of about 1%, when I might use something else for some sort of specialty shot. (Eg., blade putter toe end to pop ball out of thick greenside rough from 18" off the green, or a small-headed hybrid to make a "pop-and-run" from greenside rough up a steeply sloping green to a far pin, when the lie looks iffy for a wedge.)

Personally, I think if Butch's statement was meant to be a blanket statement, it's a bit presumptuous and a touch elitist, too. I feel like MANY good Ams and/or single-digit caps I play with (myself included) know how to control a 60* wedge just fine, thank you. All it takes is regular practice/play and a good understanding of how the club is designed to work. And, more practice, which results in confidence. (I also have a 62* wedge I sometimes use in winter around the greens when the ground is hard and the grass is dormant.)