My swing issue

Duke of Hazards

My swing issue

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:13 pm

So I've sucked with my iron/wedge play last several rounds, however on 18th hole of an otherwise forgettable round, I thought back to the near 70's round from last month. At that time, I'd identified a setup issue (open shoulders at address) and made a conscious effort the whole round to correct it by closing the shoulders at address. I hit my irons/wedges well that round and made 5 birdies. Of course, I quickly abandoned this setup process enroute to several frustrating rounds in the 90's.

Anyhow, on 18 in my last round, I did the tweak (mostly concentrating on keeping shoulders closed to target) and hit the best drive of the day followed by the purest 5 iron I've hit in a long time just pin high left. Got up and down for birdie.

In trying to search for the root cause, I found this dude's video which kind of illustrates my errant setup tendency (starts at 1:40 in the video), which is basically too straight of a trail arm along with a 'high' trail shoulder (protraction / elevation and internal rotation of the shoulder joint). I'm mostly just posting this for posterity, but curious if anyone else has had this issue.

Bluto did it

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: My swing issue

Post by DougE » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Agree with the video. I find when I align my shoulders, hips and feet, all slightly closed to the target line, I hit my best drives. As far as other clubs go, I typically set up that way anyway, so don't have to think about it. But with driver, trying to get some tilt and making sure my head behind the ball, I often catch myself with my right arm over my left at set up. And that usually leads to weak-assed fades. Funny though, even though I know that is a problem, it sometimes takes me 6 or 7 more drives before I realize it's THAT and not some other dumb move I'm making. I grasp at straws until I find the culprit. I need to start checking this earlier in my process of (swing flaws) elimination.

The biggest flaw for me always seems to be getting a little lax on covering the ball. So I always check that one first.

CeeBee
dogs: 0

Re: My swing issue

Post by CeeBee » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:54 am

I have this issue from time to time. Tough to fix. If all the things that go wrong with this game were easy to fix we would all be pretty damn good.
Tee it up!