Pool noodles, upside down or raised?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Pool noodles, upside down or raised?

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:08 am

I have experienced the upside down and pool noodle approaches. Neither is good unless the course allows a ball to actually go 75% in the hole. They don't push the liner down enough or the noodle is too "tall". Maybe with time they will figure it out.

I need to get used to putting from 5-6 feet with the flag in. I tend to remove it when I don't expect it to help me. Post-lockdown I have not been holing putts from in close. The hole set-up and flagstick is distracting. I hope I get used to it soon.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: Pool noodles, upside down or raised?

Post by DougE » Fri May 08, 2020 11:22 am

The practice green had upside down hole inserts yesterday with no flags/pins, but I was told there are noodles in the actual holes on the course. Haven't played yet to see how that works. I did find the practice holes had about an inch of drop available. So, it felt great when I sunk three in a row from 15' as soon as I started out. :yess

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri May 08, 2020 1:57 pm

I mentioned in my other post in the "golf in a plague year" thread, that the one course I played so far as a foam insert (pool noodle, I guess) but it covered the whole hole, not just an inch around the base of the flagstick, and it was at maybe 3/4 to 1 inch below ground, allowing the ball to drop somewhat. It felt completely normal to me, as I put with dying speed and usually leave the flagstick in, unless it is buffeted by the win too hard, leans towards me, or I have the flagstick shadow on my line from relatively close, closer than the shadow total length: the shadow is always straight but my line might not be...
I'm gonna go low this time...

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat May 09, 2020 5:53 pm

Same setup here.
Tee it up!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon May 11, 2020 3:20 pm

When you all talk about pool noodles, are we talking about a small, cut segment or the whole dang noodle? And is pool noodle fitted around the flagstick or does it replace it altogether? Mind you I haven't been on a golf course since February, and never seen a pool noodle at such use before. I picture long pink and yellow foam things drooping out of holes in place of flagsticks, and golfers bumping their balls into them and considering them holed.
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon May 11, 2020 3:46 pm

No not that.

The noodle is really just a foam plug that sits in the hole with a cut-out through the center of its diameter to allow the flagstick through it. The height of the noodle on OUR holes is about an inch below the surface of the green so the ball can drop into the hole....a little. Less than 1/2 the ball is still sticking above the surface of the green when it is holed.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon May 11, 2020 3:50 pm

In what I have seen (2 courses so far), it's a slice of a pool noodle, with foam material thick enough to fill the whole hole, except the flagstick (which goes through the foam), and the slice large enough so that it fills the hole from the bottom of the cup up to 3/4 to 1 inch below ground. We say pool noodle, but it may not be, I don't know: it's the same foam material though.

Another way to do it, is to have a smaller circle, just around the flagstick, instead of covering the whole surface of the hole, so there is something sticking around the foot of the flagstick, that is large enough to prevent the ball from dropping to the bottom. I have only seen those in pictures, not in real life, yet.
I'm gonna go low this time...

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:29 pm

Instead of a pool noodle, our course uses pieces of plastic cut almost like it was a CD, with the flag going through a hole in the middle. It sits about a ball deep. We have said anything that hits the plastic and pops out is considered holed, since it would have been in during normal circumstances.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:59 pm

Played a course today with regular holes. Nice to not worry about bouncing out. Still not supposed to touch the flagstick.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:09 am

We have some new contraption on all the flagsticks now that allows you to sink a putt without having to reach your hand in to retrieve the ball. It's a disc which sits in the bottom of the hole (like a flat surfaced doughnut around the pin), connected to a slide rod which runs vertically up the pin with a 2" dia. hook at the top. Though the rod is metal, the hook part is covered in soft PVC. You just stick your putter head under the hook and lift. The disc rises and the ball rolls free onto the green. It's quite simple.

I haven't played using them due to the injury, but I did test one out early on when they were being considered. I was out on the course driving my wife's nephew around on Wednesday for nine hole, so got a better idea of how they are working in real life. I think they need some refinements after being in for a few weeks. I found many to stick in the up position. Nothing a little regular Teflon spray every morning won't fix. Generally speaking, with a little tweaking of the idea, these would work well, Corona virus or not. Lazy, or seniors with limited flexibility would certainly appreciate them. The company who makes those little suction cups that fit on the top of a putter grip to help retrieve the ball from the hole would go out of business if all courses used these new no-touch retrievers on all the pins.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:54 am

Doug if I was your family I wouldn't even let you on the golf course. Why tempt one's self so. Anyways that contraption does sound like an idea whose time has come. I would guess that the majority of rickety ass recreational golfers do not care for all the bending over required in a conventional round of golf.
Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:09 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:54 am
...I would guess that the majority of rickety ass recreational golfers do not care for all the bending over required in a conventional round of golf....
:fk :fk :fk
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:58 pm

I'm still a little baffled at how some of the Covid playing is panning out. One of the courses I frequent has had a packed tee sheet, as judging by Golfnow availability, and yet the course never seems packed when I play there. Granted it is a big piece of property, but do people book on golfnow and not show up? It never seems full capacity. There's certainly not a foursome for every ten minutes.

Today I played a course that typically has 8 minute tee time intervals - really too short IMO and leads to over four hour rounds. Due to Covid, the tee times are now 12 minutes apart. Every time today until after 3 pm was sold out - or so the computers said. I got there today at 1:25 for a 2:00 tee time (it was an accident, i'm not usually that early). Between 1:25 and 2:00 not one person teed off. No one. At 1:50, a guy shows up with his two kids and tells me I might want to go out alone as his kids are newbies. So I played solo, waiting only twice for a twosome in front of me. Doesn't make sense.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:43 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:58 pm
I'm still a little baffled at how some of the Covid playing is panning out. One of the courses I frequent has had a packed tee sheet, as judging by Golfnow availability, and yet the course never seems packed when I play there. Granted it is a big piece of property, but do people book on golfnow and not show up?
I have noticed this phenomenon a few times. Many courses require online booking. I look at the electronic tee sheet and it has random gaps in the times, which I assume are foursomes. The balance are 2-3 people with the occasional single. The course should be packed. In reality, it isn't.

I think, however, some of these "online only" courses are taking phone in reservations, especially for people they know. They block off the tee time on the electronic tee sheet even though there are often less than 4 signed up ["Harry and I like to play by ourselves, can you manage that?"]. Since the tee time was called in, there may have been no pre-payment and thus they can be no shows with no penalty.

The other quirk is some courses are limiting each group to a maximum of 2 carts. If you book a threesome or foursome, 1-2 of the group will walk (with their bag on the cart). Many don't want to walk so the vast majority or groups are twosomes. Even though every tee time is booked, there are half as many golfers.
Let's Play 36