The "New" Course - Mental Attitude

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

The "New" Course - Mental Attitude

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:16 am

A couple times a year I play a course with which I am totally unfamiliar. Such was the case yesterday. Of course, I have my GPS which would give me a little "map" of the hole but generally the tee shot was very much an educated guess as to line and distance.

Not knowing what was "out there" seemed to relax me on the tee. I really had a sort of "WTF" attitude and, at least for that round, supreme confidence that I was going to hit the ball where I was planning to hit it. If the ball found one of the many hidden ponds or bunkers, so be it. As it turned out, I put my drives into perfect spots time and again, often quite close to hazards of which I was totally unaware.

Not sure how I am going to incorporate this "feeling" or attitude into daily play. It was fun.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Re: The "New" Course - Mental Attitude

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Interesting topic - until recently I have always been a poor player of new courses. I think most of my issues come from "lack of confidence" in what I am trying to do on a new course, particularly off the tee. Uncertainty is not a good thing in golf. I find that once I play a course a couple of times and "figure out" my driving angles I do much better. This year, however, has been a little different as I have played 10 rounds on four new courses as follows:

Course #1 - #1 Good round, #2 mediocre, #3 great, #4 really great (competition)
Course #2 - #1 Very good round, #2 very good, #3 really great (competition)
Course #3 - #1 Very good round, #2 low medium round
Course #4 - Disaster round (course was 73.1/135 in a competition)

In retrospect, Course #4 was just an off day on the wrong course in tough conditions with competition nerves - throw it away. Round #2 at course #3 wasn't as bad as the score - two smarter decisions and the round becomes average without making a single putt. The rest I believe that I did a pretty good job of aiming for the fat of the fairway and aiming for the fat of the green. However, in retrospect I would also say that courses #1 and #2 really fit my game - so did I play them well new or did I just find courses for horses?

I'm going to find out soon. I have a competition this week at a new course this weekend (and two more at new courses at the end of the month). One nice thing is that based upon the location the rest of the competition group won't be overly familiar with the course either. I've also been told that this weekend's course is long but wide open - should help the driving jitters.

But back to mental attitude - one aspect of my recent improved play is I've had a much better, relaxed mental attitude. Some of this is from playing well - duh! - but some of it has been attitude improvement. The round that started this streak (day after disaster round) I was perfectly relaxed and enjoying my company. Two early birdies and I was off to a great round. I've flirted with par multiple times, only to blow a drive around hole #14, and then I've handled it much better than in the past - I'm still having a great round.

So yes I hope to take this attitude to Saturday's round. Focus on the middle of the fairway, avoid DB, hit some good shots - it will still be at least a mediocre score which in a competition can be pretty good.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:12 pm

Moderately successful on Saturday with a new course 77. Can't honestly say I had a great mental attitude the entire round - got frustrated at one point. But did do a good job of focusing on the current hole the entire round. Have to say the course was straight forward from the tees - that helps.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:30 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:12 pm
Moderately successful on Saturday with a new course 77.
:quotez Moderately? Gimme an effing break! ;)

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:46 am

Moderately from the “positive mentality “. Round was good although greatly helped by really wide fairways.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:22 am

Totally failed this past week. Went to a 3 round trip to Old Waverly and Mossy Oak, both considered top 100 public courses for my bucket list rounds for the year. First day had a practice round at Mossy Oak which is a really cool faux links course in the middle of Mississippi. 11 fairways, 12 greens, only issue was 5 three putts. Really good for a tough course I hadn't seen.

Next day was Old Waverly (71.9/139). The course was pristine, has hosted several USGA women's events, and to understate is a hard course. Don't think I had a tap-in all day. It was impossible to stop a putt within two feet of the hole. Despite this I help it together for 10 holes at +4 and that was due to an unforced DB. Disaster started at 11. Not knowing the course and not even thinking that it was possible for water to be behind the hole, hit a ball long into TB. A few uncertain swings later and I ended at +13. The icing was from an incredible difficult stance on #16 I hit a phenomenal chip that hit the flag square and somehow bounded five feet away. The round was exhausting and abusive but I wasn't overcome.

Last day back to Mossy Oak. Wind was totally howling, at least +20 mph. For whatever reason I had no swing from the get-go. Was +7 after six but you could tell the course was playing really hard. Then in a strange sequence of events, I played a strong birdie on #7, hit two terrible shots on #8 and was lucky to bogey, almost hole in one on #9 for birdie (10"), two terrible shots on #10 for another lucky birdie, then to six feet on a 185 yard par three #11 for birdie #3. At this point I'm +6 after 11 and not in too bad of shape - I was three shots ahead of the eventual flight winner. But totally lost my swing for the rest of the round. Final damage +18/90, nine shots behind the flight winner.

The aftermath finished 6th both days which wasn't terrible but really wasn't that good either. I drove home extremely grumpy and I have to admit I did not enjoy myself. Ms. Bogey was quite unhappy that I came home grumpy. The last round did receive a PCC adjustment of +3, so at least there was proof the course was playing hard that day but the fault was more mine than the course. I did win a closest to the pin on the long par 3 and the near hole in one would have been closest to the pin but that hole was reserved for the senior division.

I think that was my last new course of the year - good riddance.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:03 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:22 am
.. Ms. Bogey was quite unhappy that I came home grumpy...
My wife will attempt to discern my level of happiness/grumpiness when I return from a round. On the days I play well, she always has a look of total relief to not have to be in the same house with Mr. Grumpy. When I play poorly, she quietly finds something to do elsewhere.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:47 pm

I told Ms. Bogey that just because I came home grumpy doesn’t mean grumpy forever, just maybe until the next morning.

The other solution I offered was to drink a beer for each lost ball penalty, but I can hardly handle two beers anymore, much less five.