Chip Out vs. The Hero Shot

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Chip Out vs. The Hero Shot

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:32 am

We are constantly faced with the option to either hit a low percentage shot or chip out and try to salvage par. Part of the problem is we see on TV the pros constantly succeeding with hero shots. On the other hand, the pros are really good at taking their medicine, pitching out AND saving par.

Yesterday we re-played the 15th hole. The par 4 requires a long drive through a fairly narrow wooded corridor to the dogleg turning point. One attempt one I did not get 100% out of my driver and found myself short of the dogleg. I could "thread the needle" or pitch out to wedge range. The "thread the needle" did not contact any trees but I was left of the green and did not get up & down. The "thread the needle" was a perilous shot that I would likely have not attempted except we were playing a team match with my team mate in great position. Second attempt I pitched out, hit a sand wedge to the green and rolled in an 8 footer for par.

I think over the course of a season I might be 1/2 shot per round better with the pitch/chip out approach. Then again, some pretty amazing saves would be missed.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: Chip Out vs. The Hero Shot

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:21 am

Like you, I have been in this situation many, many times. For me, when it doesn't really make any difference (no money riding on the round or my score is already too far gone by that point) if there's even a small possibility I can pull off the hero shot, I will likely go for it. However, if not pulling it off will make the difference between me having to pay one of my mates a dollar or two, or stop me from shooting in the 70s that day if I miss, I will chip or pitch out and take my medicine. Though my short game is not pro level by any means, I do have a lot of confidence in it most days and ALWAYS think I have a good shot at saving par and am virtually sure I will do no worse than bogey. (That doesn't mean I DON'T make double on occasion...or triple for that matter.)

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:42 pm

Life is short, go for the hero shot IMO. But then again, saving par after a lost shot is also pretty heroic for an amateur. So I totally approve of either choice. A more realistic dilemma for the amateur after a bad shot unfortunately is whether to play it as it lies or give yourself a break somehow.
Build a bridge and get over it.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:40 pm

Remembering a hero or great shot this month is tough but here goes. Standing on the par 5 14th a week ago. Nice swing but too much draw into the woods right side. Had a good round up to this point. Thought briefly of chipping to the fairway but knew I’d be 250 out meaning par would be hard to come by. I said f it, took my 5i and hit a low bullet through and missing all trees to 100 yds. PW to 4” for an Awesome and rare birdie. That is also my shot of the month.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:08 pm

:claps
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!