What don't you like about your swing?

legitimategolf
Site Admin

What don't you like about your swing?

Postby legitimategolf » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:10 pm

Encased in permafrost with no end in sight, what is else there to do at this point except some pointless deconstructive self-examination of our golf swings? The spiritual equivalent of picking at a zit, maybe.

I have a bit of a shut face tendency. Probably related to a somewhat strongish grip. I have to come terms with it and don't really believe perfectly square positions throughout the swing are necessarily ideal. Maybe just aesthetically pleasing.

Also my backswing looks longer than I would like to see. Again a lot of this is due to person-to-person anatomical differences. Mickelson's arc has always been way long but hasn't seemed to hold him back. Still I envy shorter looking backswings with a full turn.

Other than that I am at peace with it.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: What don't you like about your swing?

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:19 pm

I tend to bend my left arm (right hander) and swing too slow. As a result my ball striking comes and goes and I hit it shorter than the average 10 handicapper. On the other hand, any number of people have said they really like my tempo and smooth transition from back swing to stroke.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:13 pm

legitimategolf wrote:Encased in permafrost with no end in sight, what is else there to do at this point except some pointless deconstructive self-examination of our golf swings? The spiritual equivalent of picking at a zit, maybe.

I have a bit of a shut face tendency. Probably related to a somewhat strongish grip. I have to come terms with it and don't really believe perfectly square positions throughout the swing are necessarily ideal. Maybe just aesthetically pleasing.

Also my backswing looks longer than I would like to see. Again a lot of this is due to person-to-person anatomical differences. Mickelson's arc has always been way long but hasn't seemed to hold him back. Still I envy shorter looking backswings with a full turn.

Other than that I am at peace with it.

LB, I've encountered the above issues, and they may be related. I believe that they're symptoms of the right (dominant) side of your body wanting to
dominate the golf swing. In fact, to answer your question, these things are the biggest things I battle with in my own swing.

These are the things that have been working for me, though I constantly relapse:

1- Towel drill- Securing the inner part of your left upper arm to the left upper side of your
ribcage. That'll do two things: solidify your non-dominant (left) hand's control of the club and will also promote a 'true' shoulder turn, which will
reduce an overly long 'armsy' swing. Make sure that your shoulders aren't hunched forward, and try to puff your chest out a little bit so that the
inside or your arms have something to attach to. (Need to also make sure the right arm is connected as well (Hogan's straight jacket), but for
righties, focusing first on that left side connection is primary)

2- Kick your left hip targetward at address a smidge and tilt your shoulders away from the target. This will put the right shoulder into a more
submissive position and allow it to fold away on the backswing and prevent club snatching. It also solves the 'shutfacedness' by opening the
club face a bit so that it's square to your target line. BTW, your grip is probably just fine, but make sure that there's a solid connection between
your left thumb and left forefinger at the base of that crease. If your left hand isn't 'corporate' (Hogan's word, I believe), then your right
hand will wrest control of it midswing and you'll get holes in your gloves as a result (see other thread). Hogan talks about making sure that the left thumb is not 'too long' and this really f'd me up for a long while. Your left thumb has to be supportive of the shaft at the top of the backswing and needs to be long enough to do it's job. For me personally, the snugness in this area of my grip (left thumb/base of index) 'reinforces' the snugness under my left armpit.

Oh yeah, and remember to do all of this at address, but ensure you don't have any muscle tension in your shoulders.

Alright, enough swing quackery for now. I'm working myself into a lather.

Check some youtube face on views of Rory McIlroy's swing. He does an impeccable job of doing all of the above, and it comes across well in
video, way better than I can describe.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:21 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:Alright, enough swing quackery for now. I'm working myself into a lather.

More than enough. What part of I am at peace with it did you not understand. At a glance, those seem like perfectly fine drills. But what part of pointless self-examination did you not understand. Just as picking the proverbial zit serves no useful purpose, so goes this thread.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:03 pm

Point taken. I started on my reply because I keyed in on the technical aspects of your swing description, not seeing the forest for the trees. That's just my nature. I then almost deleted my post because I really don't like giving unsolicited advice (and you certainly didn't solicit any). But it was just too many words and time invested, so I hit 'submit'. My bad.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:32 pm

I most dislike the early hip extension. Sometimes called "goat humping".
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:42 pm

I am ok with my swing as it is other than more distance off the tee would be great. Baseball grip, closed face. No lessons, video or pics taken so I live with it. On occasion some tinkering is needed. I'll try things.

My backswing is shorter than most and a far cry from fluid. The club does not get to parallel. Being a 'lefty', I know I post up on my right leg, sort of like swinging at a baseball and it has been described to me as controlled violence. My golf buddies say I don't hold back.
Tee it up!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:06 pm

My Schrödinger's cat version of a transition. Until I start my downswing I have no clue if my transition will exist or not.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:23 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:I tend to bend my left arm (right hander) and swing too slow. As a result my ball striking comes and goes and I hit it shorter than the average 10 handicapper. On the other hand, any number of people have said they really like my tempo and smooth transition from back swing to stroke.

That's me, described perfectly. Thanks! :thumbup:
I'm gonna go low this time...

MattF

Postby MattF » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:13 am

Consistency, even if it was a crappy swing (I'm no Furyk), I just wish it was more consistent...I s'pose lack of practice makes it what it is.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:26 am

MattF wrote:Consistency, even if it was a crappy swing (I'm no Furyk), I just wish it was more consistent...I s'pose lack of practice makes it what it is.

Come on, too abstract. Everyone wants more consistency. Need specifics. What do you find ugly or unsightly about it, etc. Don't hold back.

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:56 pm

If it looks bad, sounds bad and feels bad it's BAD.

To add to my earlier post. No golf teacher would teach what I do.
Tee it up!

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:37 pm

I don't like obsessing on my swing.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:13 am

I definitely have too much motion on my transition. My head dips and I move toward the target. Leads to a big lack of consistency. That's the main thing i'm working on.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:19 am

My shoulders don't seem to be able to act independently of my hips. RIght now, for the third time in about three years, I am consciously working on turning my shoulders as much as possible in my backswing while keeping my waist relatively, though not completely, straight. The result of not having a shoulder turn is simply the fact that my front shoulder tends to come up before my release, and an ugly slice ensues. If I increase my shoulder turn, my distance increases, and the ball flight straightens out.

The problem I have with this is that extra shoulder turn makes if *feel* like I'm swinging harder, and I've spent so much time over the years trying to swing easy. Therefore, it feels wrong especially with irons. However, I know what I'm capable of distance wise, and I know that even if I hit the ball straight, I'm losing 50 yards by limiting the shoulder turn.

JPJ

Postby JPJ » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:53 am

That it looks like I'm flipping at the ball (I'm NOT! D'yer hear?)

That it doesn't look - and therefore, I infer, isn't - as athletic as it feels.

That it occasionally but too frequently breaks down.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

JPJ

Postby JPJ » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:54 am

legitimategolf wrote:...The spiritual equivalent of picking at a zit, maybe...

Eew!
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:12 pm

bryan k wrote:My shoulders don't seem to be able to act independently of my hips.

Something I've worked on for the last few months. I think before that, subconsciously I was trying to turn everything back one piece style, which is of course stupid. Same with the follow through. Now I'm thinking of the whole thing as more of a sequence rather than one big lurch back and a big lurch forward.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:24 pm

If we're gonna include putting then my stroke tends to get long and decelerating. At its worst it's quite putrid actually.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:12 am

My crap ass grip. Need to work on some hand strengthening exercises.

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:35 am

Sometimes it stays home and doesn't let me know until I tee off. :o

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:34 pm

So I spent a bunch of time working on my grip. I realized it had been getting too scrunched up, hands too tight together. Got them a little more spread out on the club handle now, with pressure in the right places. My prior left thumb position was not supportive and neither was the pressure points on my right hand. No wonder my grip's been slipping on the backswing.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Oh, my. A necro-post, and it's a pretty good one.

It's been two years since I posted on this, and yes, my views have changed.

What I dislike most about my swing is actually a personality trait that limits me on the golf course. I am not capable of making decisions that are not based on quantifiable metrics. An example, I can't tune my guitar to thirds of fifths by ear. I can only tune to octaves, and the reason why is because there is a definite tone warble that evens out as the octaves come together. That's a quantifiable metric that I can use to tune.

This is an issue I encounter constantly, and it comes into play when I'm playing golf. I truly think that this is the reason why I suck so bad at lag putting. I don't have the ability to make a good estimation on how far back to bring my putter. The variable that I struggle with the most is whether the putt is uphill or downhill.

I've been able to demonstrate this on the course. A few years ago, I bought some ball markers that also worked as levels. Of course, these are illegal to use in any kind of handicapped or competitive play, but I felt that I could learn a lot about my game by using them for a few rounds. And I did. When I use those things, I become a competent lag putter. They didn't seem to do me much good on the short putts, though.

I tend to have the same problem with wind when combined with touch shots. If I have a wind in my face, that 60 yard pitch shot is probably coming up short. I know exactly how hard to hit the ball for 60 yards. I have no idea how to compensate for the wind "by feel". This affects me less, though, because I go through stretches where I would statistically rather have a chip shot than a long putt. My putting average at over 100' is probably more than 3. I promise you, I've four-putted more than you.

The other area where this inability to estimate without empirical data comes into play with the wrist hinge issue that I wrote about on another post. If I could watch my back swing, I'm confident that my wrist hinge would be perfect very time. Interestingly, though, if I turn my head to watch the club in its back swing, I can't hit the ball. At all. For probably obvious reasons, too. The fact that I can't "feel" that sweet spot is a huge detriment to my game.

Any time I have to adjust for something I can't measure, it feels like a guess. Most people suck at guessing, and I'm no exception.

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”