Playing Aerated Greens

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Playing Aerated Greens

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:58 am

Typically we face aerated greens starting in September unless a course is having trouble earlier in the season. Since I don't trust myself to remember this topic in August, I thought I would put it out here now.

My game changes slightly when playing aerated greens. When near the green I mostly abandon chipping or any technique that relies on bouncing & rolling. I go with a higher shot that is supposed to land near the hole and stop (eventually). I have found that the aeration holes play havoc with my speed and direction on low running shots. While the high shot will get bad bounces, the dispersion is less drastic.

I also change my putting. Instead of dying in the hole I try to hit the putts with more speed, especially inside of 15 feet. I play less break and give it a better hit.

How about everyone else?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Re: Playing Aerated Greens

Post by legitimategolf » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:38 pm

Once again, BK the fundamentally sound voice of reason. What else is there to do beside what you've outlined? Besides bellyaching and declaring an automatic 2-putt rule. Tom Watson once broke 60 on aerated greens on his home course. I tend to think of that fun factoid whenever I have to face the dreaded little holes.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:33 am

I usually celebrate a little when I see that greens are freshly aerated because it means that I have a legit excuse for three putts.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:57 am

A couple of times during the season it is a minor inconvenience. However on occasion a little overzealous on the sand application. But has to be done.

I try to keep under 34 putts. Just a little game.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:15 pm

I should have reviewed this prior to playing the past couple weeks. I have been struggling a bit putting on these bumpy greens. Not sure what the difference between this year and prior years is but nothing is falling.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:20 pm

I'm going to have to review this in the spring.

In Nashville there were 3 or 4 courses that had bermuda greens. I could play the entire year with out playing aerated greens since the bermuda gets aerated in July and the bent greens got aerated in March/Sept. It was nice. I hope some courses in Virginia Beach switch to bermuda to allow this going forward.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.