How or would you play this shot?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

How or would you play this shot?

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:36 am

Hit a tee shot on a par three that I thought was going to turn out well. Cleared the water hazard but hit the shaved area in front of the green and trickles backward. I am watching this slow disaster from 160 yards away. The ball eventually rolls off the "edged" grass on to the flag stone topped retaining wall. On the wall it starts dancing around but eventually stays on top of the wall. Good break? Not so sure once I arrive.

The ball had settled in the crack between two flagstones and there was a slight chip out of one of the stones so the ball was slightly lower than the flagstone surface. No way to get "under" the ball. 2 inches in "front" of the ball is a 3 inch vertical lip where the grass had been edged. Hitting a putter or another club straight forward would immediately impact the vertical earth "lip".

I was technically in the hazard. So my options were to take a penalty and go back to the tee 160 yards away (ball has to cross water the entire way) or go to a drop area 100 yards away. Or, I could try to hit the ball and quite likely have it ricochet back into the water or possibly even hit me and then go into the water. (this is not a lateral hazard so the 2 club length option is not available)

If after reading this someone has a plan, let's hear it. I will "reveal" the actual result in a day or two.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: How or would you play this shot?

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:43 am

I almost always try to hit the hero shot.

My gut would say take a putter or really any club with a large face so maybe hybrid. Then hit down on the ball trying to pop it up off the stone and over the bump.

But you'd have to do it with some decent amount of force and I'd be worried about breaking the club or my wrist.

So when I'm worried about breaking a club or a bone I usually elect to drop.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:14 am

Sacrifice my lob wedge for the shot. It is kind of beat up and needs replacement soon. Close my eyes, take the biggest most desperate swing possible and hope the ball goes forward.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Is there a stance to hack it out sideways?
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:58 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:I almost always try to hit the hero shot.
Getting serious now, I love the hero shot too. But I have self control now. Attempting to dislodge a ball embedded in a rock then bouncing it backwards, or into myself, or both and then into the hazard, that kind of bullshit has happened to me. Not exactly, but I can totally conjure the embarrassment-rage that comes from such a scenario. I hate it more than I love the joy of pulling off the hero shot. Now I am trying to take a bigger view. That is to say I seem to be making some birdies these days, so why not just eat the lost stroke whenever I get out of position. Try to get it back on the next.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:02 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:Is there a stance to hack it out sideways?
Reasonable call. I could stand on the bank and hit it sideways to the right (right when facing the hole/green). I could get into the hazard (wet dirt and weeds - no water) but the swing to the left would have been shoulder height and going toward trees and O.B. so it was pretty much go right if going sideways. Sideways still brought the water hazard into play unless the ball went straight where one aimed it. Ultimately, I decided against going sideways.
Let's Play 36

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:41 pm

You said there was a drop area. I'm pretty sure that would be my choice.

I elected to take a stroke and distance penalty out of a bunker in a much better position than that today. The only reason my ball didn't roll into the drink was because the grass was halfway up to my knees. It was *just* on the other side of the red stake. I have no idea how I could have addressed that shot without moving a whole bunch of grass out of the way, and even then, I don't think it would have been pretty. I picked it up, went back to the bunker, and went up-and-down for a double.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:09 pm

So now the rest of the story. As jfish suggested, I looked at going sideways but the potential landing areas (water or bunker or mounds) were not so hot. The drop area was the best alternate if I wanted to take a stroke, which I really did not want to do. Trying to wedge it close from 100 yards and make the putt for a bogey "4" seemed tough.

Eventually I took my sand wedge and as someone suggested, took a steep swing like I was trying to hit it 60 yards instead of 6 and hoped for the best. The ball hit the "lip" solidly, popped into the air, landed on the shaved down area in front of the green and rolled about 3 feet forward because of the spin imparted by the impact with the "lip". Somehow it didn't hit me, the club on the follow through or bounce backwards. I easily got it up & down for bogey using my putter for the 3rd shot.

If that had been the last hole and a double would still get me a "sub-80" round, I would have taken the stroke and gone to the drop area. As it was, I was struggling a bit and felt I needed a "4". If my score was going to hit "80", I pretty much did not care if it was 81, 82 or 83. I am probably too invested in the result rather than the process.
Let's Play 36

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:15 pm

You made the right play if score didn't matter. I too like the potential for heroics. BUT I would have reluctantly gone to the drop zone.
Tee it up!

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:02 pm

I've hit one off the stone before, but never when wedged between the stones. I'd go to the drop area and get up and down from there for four.