Getting out of a slump

jfurr

Getting out of a slump

Post by jfurr » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:53 am

So guys a bunch of you know that I hit a miracle hole in one in my last round. *Because I bragged about it* :lol:

But seriously, aside from that one gold nugget, my game has been garbage lately. I've been in the worst slump this fall with my game. It's really been wearing me down, to go from feeling pretty comfortable to shoot around 86-87 to suddenly can't break 100.

After doing stats tracking for 5 years I have identified the areas of my game which need work: Hitting the ball and putting. In other words everything. Poor tee shots collecting penalties and wasting chances to scramble for par and taking doubles. Never mind hitting GIRs, I know those are important for scoring well but right now I need to get focused on not screwing up rather than fine tuning.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some rescue work on my game over the winter to try to get out of this slump. So here is my new years resolutions.
  • learn how to hit a bunker shot properly from a green side bunker (find a practice spot, lesson)
  • seriously work on the full swing hip turn, still doing it incorrectly, to try to fix the fast-hips slice move (maybe try GolfTec)
  • work on finding my correct full swing clubhead release method which matches my swing biomechanics (no wrist rolling/duck hooks)
  • continue to practice the bump-chipping technique to find a yip-free chunk-free short game shot around the greens
  • work on setup alignment and aim and ball position consistency (range, video, alignment sticks, extra eyes)
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Re: Getting out of a slump

Post by legitimategolf » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:36 pm

Jeez. Seems like just a couple weeks ago you were playing some tidy golf. Tidy enough to take some of my money at least. On an unfamiliar NYC muni no less. Sounds to me like you just got a bit out of sync with yourself, plus a bit of life getting in the way of good golf. Fortunately you have a plan. All kidding aside you strike me as one of the most mentally sound teen handicappers I've encountered. I know that is a weak consolation when one is skanking it all over the clubface, but hey, the mental is where it all starts.

How's the winter work down there? Play all year round usually? Ever get snowed out?
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:00 pm

You say you "need to get focused on not screwing up." I venture to say loosen up and not think too much. You have the game and the spark to bring it back. Let it happen.

Speaking of those diabolically placed greenside bunkers, Just get it on the green. No worse than bogey.
Tee it up!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:08 pm

I was getting into a slump myself after taking lessons at GolfTec and when I mentioned it to my instructor, he first reviewed was I was doing from a mechanical and technical standpoint and commented that everything look fine (i.e. the swing changes were made at least to some significant degree). He then asked me what I was thinking when standing over the ball ready to pull the trigger, and I started listing most of the changes he had me undertake. He said, well that's your problem: you can't be thinking about any of that. Just relax and play (visualize, do your pre-shot routine and just make a swing). You have to practice those things at the range or do the drills at home, etc... one at a time, and then put it all together as a performance practice, as opposed to a technical practice. Then just go and play. Too much thinking on the course is too much... I haven't had a chance yet to go out since then but even as we were talking and made a few swings in the practice station, without thinking about anything, they were MUCH better. The mind is a powerful thing, both good and bad.

Follow CeeBee's advice.
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:10 am

I have been told that the learning curve for a physical activity is 6 months to a year. When you make a significant change in your swing, you are going to play more poorly initially and any consistent improvement is at least 6 months away.

Being overly analytical, like Mr. Furr, can result in a series of changes. Each change occurs too rapidly to allow the full learning curve to complete on the initial and subsequent changes. The result is a bunch of thoughts swirling through one's head, no confidence and even more inconsistency.

So, my amateur and inarticulate advice is to pick one area (such as driver swing). Decide on the correct technique in conjunction with someone who knows of which the talk and then work on it for 6 months. No other changes, just the driver swing. When you start to see solid results 6 months later, pick another area, like sand technique.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:59 pm

I sort of have my woes posted across several threads, so I'll try to put all my griping and such in this thread here. Exception I'll put the screen grabs in the hip turn thread from the MTRx app...

Anyway, went to the range on new years day and couldn't hit the ball at all. When I say could' hit the ball I don't mean not hitting it how I wanted, I mean not able to make correct contact. Wanted to warm up before trying to work on changing anything, but couldn't do anything except hit huge fat deep divots. Swing felt like garbage. 9 out of 10 shots where fat. Not actually behind the ball, just too steep/deep. I hit about 80% of my bucket then gave up and left in frustration.
IMG_1462.JPG
IMG_1462.JPG (241.64 KiB) Viewed 5994 times
Stand by for photo sequence of swing and self-diagnosis and welcome your feedback...

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:22 pm

OK. Here is the nasty swing. I welcome your feedback, comments, suggestions, humor, insults, tips, etc...

Sorry for the poor camera angle, shot this with my phone shoved in a head cover in my golf bag and had no idea where it was actually aimed.

At address. So far not looking too poor however we cannot see my grip or the ball position or the target line.
IMG_1463.PNG
IMG_1463.PNG (148.14 KiB) Viewed 5988 times

Takeaway. Can't see the club face so not sure about grip or wrists. Looks like its scooping inside though which is going to cause other problems.
IMG_1464.PNG
IMG_1464.PNG (149.87 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
Hips aren't turning anymore. Looks like I'm about to pick the club straight up.
IMG_1465.PNG
IMG_1465.PNG (148.78 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
Yes, indeed there is the upwards club lift. Who is this, Furyk? Something about that club face looks weird too.
IMG_1466.PNG
IMG_1466.PNG (152.66 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
At the top. Notice my left leg has started to straighten and left hip raised up.
IMG_1467.PNG
IMG_1467.PNG (152.88 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
Here goes the spin out move. Hips turning back quickly. HAven't even brought club down yet.
IMG_1468.PNG
IMG_1468.PNG (151.3 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
Unngh, hips spinning out, early extending, club stuck behind, fighting an outside-in path with a "lag" drop from the inside -- but at this angle I can't hit the ball, gotta try to rescue it quick...
IMG_1469.PNG
IMG_1469.PNG (149.63 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
There you go, with this early extension on the hips only choice is the throw the club straight down at the ball really steep and deep. Get out the corn seed we're about to plant a garden.
IMG_1470.PNG
IMG_1470.PNG (148.83 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
Boom, ball, mud and divot flying
IMG_1471.PNG
IMG_1471.PNG (148.99 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
this 8 iron the ball went about 100 yards and the divot about 40
IMG_1472.PNG
IMG_1472.PNG (150.12 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
steep club angle in the finish. its' just horrible
IMG_1473.PNG
IMG_1473.PNG (153.13 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
hips over rotated through the finish, pointing about 15 degrees left of target line.
IMG_1474.PNG
IMG_1474.PNG (153.37 KiB) Viewed 5988 times

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:51 pm

I swear that golf swings are inherently easier for shorter people. As much as I would love to swing and finish like Louis Oosthuizen, I think my build is just too different. There are many an elite player such as Rose or Nick Watney, who look a little gangly and ungainly even in their good swings. I relate to that.

Maybe you could try squaring the left foot more to shorten the range of motion?

But if this were myself I might try to address the open clubface first and foremost, with the assumption that the bad swings were the body's reaction to the club being out of position at the top. (Isn't that most bad swings though, really?)

Do you ever check where your clubface is at 9:00 on the backswing? I tend to go a bit shut I think. But I check it often, try to keep tabs on what the face is doing.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:18 pm

I love Justin Rose's golf swing. Thats one of my dream models, since we are of similar build and height i think. I might have longer legs however. Anyway, I get what you are saying and I agree. Looking like a spider monkey out there, limbs flailing around all directions. Big fat divots the size of your face cut neatly but forcefully from the turf and sailing out across the range like cow chips. I didn't see anyone else on the busy range chunking it like this.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:11 pm

When I played with you your miss seemed to be a thin, not a chunk. What changed since then?

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:32 pm

Looks to me as if you're lifting at impact instead of thru the ball. The tenth frame shows the face still open as if you want to guide it instead of nail it. The seventh frame shows attack mode but the eighth appears to show your back and shoulders lift. But what do I know. What do you think Beef?
Tee it up!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:36 pm

I have no idea what has changed. But I'm not the same. Hole in one aside. Right after I got back from NYC my game took a spiral down.

The fat is because of the steep club angle which is from several problems - early extension due to incorrect hip action, and on top of it my swing plane/path is all screwed up.

I'll be a 20+ handicap again soon

Used T Date Score CR/Slope Diff.
AI 12/14 101 69.4/130 27.5
AI 11/14 91 70.0/124 19.1
AI 11/14 104 70.3/127 30.0
TI 10/14 98 70.5/135 23.0
AI 10/14 105 70.0/124 31.9
AI 10/14 98 69.4/130 24.9
TI 10/14 92 69.8/127 19.8
* AI 10/14 88 70.1/130 15.6
* AI 9/14 89 70.0/124 17.3
AI 9/14 100 70.1/129 26.2
AI 9/14 93 70.1/129 20.1
* AI 9/14 87 70.5/118 15.8
* AI 9/14 86 70.5/118 14.8
* AI 9/14 85 70.1/129 13.1
* AI 9/14 89 70.9/132 15.5
* AI 9/14 85 69.4/130 13.6
* AI 8/14 83 69.4/130 11.8
* AI 8/14 82 69.4/130 11.0
AI 8/14 92 71.3/132 17.7
* TI 8/14 84 71.1/132 11.0

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:52 am

http://perfectpitchgolf.com/3-reasons-y ... -the-ball/

These guys say there are 3 potential faults. Think about these and perhaps one applies to you right now.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:30 pm

After deep thought I'm pretty sure I have it identified. Two issues a) taking club back inside, and b) the bad hip move on the downswing causing early extension. Wish I could get back to the range asap but work/time/weather holding me back.

Here's a good looking thought.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:13 pm

You're priorities are not right. How bad do you want it!
Tee it up!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:17 pm

well I was thinking I might could build a net/mat setup in the back storage building at my house this winter...

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:12 pm

trip to visit family today cancelled - so I got another range session. Just hitting 8 iron, worked on not bringing take away inside and not early extending the hips. Its really freaking difficult, Started with three cold shanks, then a combination of thins, fats (lots of fats), block pushes and draw hooks. Of 100 balls I might have had 9 or so that felt better. I was swinging 50-90% power. I feel like I need to do this many many more times to try to get a new feeling hopefully grooved.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:27 pm

This guy illustrated exactly of what my poor swing feels like, and also the take away motion and backswing I worked on last weekend.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:19 pm

With no actual golf to play lately, this JFurr situation has been hanging over my head. Unfortunately I have nothing in the way of actual advice to offer. Pondering and pondering, all I have really realized is that the golf swing is an extremely subjective experience, and that the majority of en masse type golf instruction is only marginally useful, if that. Therefore my only suggestion is maybe don't look to youtube and the internet for swing tutelage. There's too much going on there. I believe in actually limiting one's exposure to different golf swing ideas. I think a narrow mind, in some endeavors like this, is actually better. Which is to say maybe it's not really about which swing theory one adopts, but about how deeply they commit to it.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:16 pm

legitimategolf wrote:With no actual golf to play lately, this JFurr situation has been hanging over my head. Unfortunately I have nothing in the way of actual advice to offer. Pondering and pondering, all I have really realized is that the golf swing is an extremely subjective experience, and that the majority of en masse type golf instruction is only marginally useful, if that. Therefore my only suggestion is maybe don't look to youtube and the internet for swing tutelage. There's too much going on there. I believe in actually limiting one's exposure to different golf swing ideas. I think a narrow mind, in some endeavors like this, is actually better. Which is to say maybe it's not really about which swing theory one adopts, but about how deeply they commit to it.
I watched hundreds of videos from Finch, Crossfield, Shiels, Buzza, & others throughout this golfing season. I watched these without wanting to implement basically anything. I just wanted to learn some of how, what, why. I did learn alot but a couple ideas that were particularly interesting & not a move or feeling that I had in my swing... crept in there. I just couldn't help it. & it wreaked havoc. I'm convinced it was the source of some of my struggles.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:46 pm

I do appreciate the comments but I'm not one to latch onto every golf tip or piece of advice that floats in front me. In fast the opposite - I think most fix-it tips and lessons are garbage. Do you guys remember my rambling rant post on oob about my theory of swing Quackery? The concept was that you can't trust even those who have the credentials to be pro instructors to give advise or help you because everyone is different. I've obsessed over this junk long enough that I know what applies to me and what doesn't, I believe. I'm getting closer to unlocking the crappy move(s) in my swing which I think has been plaguing me for years. In my "Quackery" post I even commented how I went seeking instruction on improving my hip turn during the golfswing because it didn't feel like it was working correctly and didn't get shit from the pro. Well, I can see it now, now that these small tidbits of helpful information about the physical movement works. I'm going to be working on these two things in the next weeks and months: 1) club takeaway not too far inside, and 2) hip movement on downswing not spinning out horizontally. I'll let you know how it comes out in a few months.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:23 pm

you will find the cure.
Tee it up!

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:32 pm

He'd better! I can't have an admin of this site out there shooting triple digits.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:06 pm

If I time this correctly, I can have my handicap peaking at around 27 when my swing changes all kick in and I shoot in the 70's at the World Am and have my legitimategolf ball logo'ed ball retriever.

;) :mrgreen:

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:14 pm

jfurr wrote:If I time this correctly, I can have my handicap peaking at around 27 when my swing changes all kick in and I shoot in the 70's at the World Am and have my legitimategolf ball logo'ed ball retriever.

;) :mrgreen:
:lol: