Getting out of a slump

jfurr

Re: Getting out of a slump

Post by jfurr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:52 pm

sjduffers wrote:I am taking lessons at GolfTec now, and I have to say that having the videos (synchronized DTL and Face-On) is extremely useful, not just while taking the lesson, but afterwards when you download them at home for your own perusal. True, it's not cheap compared to other alternatives, but it's effective: at least it has been for me.

And that cybersuit that you speak of is really nothing more than a harness on your shoulders (with sensors for your shoulders) and a belt (with sensors for your hips). This gives a set of numbers that the teacher tries to get into a green or at least yellow range, while eliminating the red ranges (e.g. shoulders too open at address, hips too closed at impact, etc...). All of the information is synchronized (both video angles and the sensor data), so you see exactly what is going on at the key positions, frame by frame, or overall.

I think that their philosophy of the swing is that if you manage to get a sound swing by the numbers, you end up with a sound swing. :ugeek:
Yeah I have been wanting to try it for a couple years but turned off about the cost and also not sure how good the instructor is gonna be.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:45 pm

If you do it, make sure to give us a thorough review of your experience. I've always wondered about those places.
Bluto did it

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:57 am

So it has come to this. Godspeed my friend.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Well, my experience is that golf swings often fix themselves. Be wary of making any permanent radical changes but tinker a bit. I tend to fall into certain faults and it takes a while to figure what I am doing. Once that occurs, it is full speed ahead. Check your grip, stance, alignment, posture. Make sure you aren't taking the club too inside, etc ... One of my faults is allowing my eyes to not focus on the ball. I start watching the clubhead.

Tee the balls up slightly and hit 7 irons with a 2/3 swing until you start to relax a bit.

So work through the personal checklist and you will find it.

No golfer ever loses their game ... okay except maybe David Duvall, oh ... and Chip Beck ... and Ian Baker-Finch ... never mind.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:00 pm

Goddammit Brian that is some good counsel. You are a credit to this site with your experience, and perspicacity, and single digit handicap.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:18 pm

What I saw from some of those celebrity cappers today was enough to make me puke. Showing some of that shit. Absolutely pathetic. If I was on National TV and had that kind of game I'd be ready to take up ice fishing. C'mon furr. Work it out. At least you can swing the club. Some of those guys make my joints hurt watching.
Tee it up!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:59 am

JF - are you practicing your short game at all? Chipping/pitching. Oftentimes, the focus on making crisp solid downward contact on the small scale, without trying to kill it, develops good stuff that carries over to the long game. I know I should do it more.

CeeBee - you crack me the hell up.
Bluto did it

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Last night on the range I had a new swing thought, and wait - it was a good one. Really made a difference. Basically instead of focusing on the takeaway, backswing, transition, and downswing - I only thought about impact. Taking about 3/4 to not quite full swings and tring to have that de-lofted impact to compress the ball (like if you were to practice with a Tour Striker training club). It worked. At least it did yesterday.

Jokes aside impact is really the most important thing, right? Assuming a relatively basic, normal swing shape and club face position.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:22 pm

jfurr wrote:Jokes aside impact is really the most important thing, right?
Impact is everything. All of it... what Crossfield preaches over & over.
Strike is king. All the rest is just pretty pictures.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:06 pm

jfurr wrote:Jokes aside impact is really the most important thing, right? Assuming a relatively basic, normal swing shape and club face position.
If pretty swings were important, what career would Jim Furyk partake?
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:56 am

jfurr wrote:Last night on the range I had a new swing thought, and wait - it was a good one. Really made a difference.
So maybe we will be seeing you posting a new score soon?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:10 am

srogers13 wrote:
jfurr wrote:Jokes aside impact is really the most important thing, right? Assuming a relatively basic, normal swing shape and club face position.
Fluffer?

Oh shit was that a rhetorical question?
Keep it short stupid.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:15 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Interesting. The instructor I saw earlier this week didn't really care how I got to the impact point. All he cared about was that I got the club square when it got there.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:10 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
jfurr wrote:Last night on the range I had a new swing thought, and wait - it was a good one. Really made a difference.
So maybe we will be seeing you posting a new score soon?
Playing tomorrow at Lexington (private club, with co-worker's group). I expect a 5 hour round with the Masters fever around here and courses packed. This will be my last "practice round" before the big beach golf trip with this guy and the gang.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:56 pm

Have a great time John. Hit em well.
Tee it up!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:53 am

New GHIN revision, I'm up to 16 handicap now. But I hope I'm making to turn to better play. Swing felt really good last round.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:26 am

I'm still stuck. With a couple of exceptions, my swing still feels foreign, goofy, out of whack. My round last Sunday every tee shot, except the one on #18 of course (golf gods etc) was a full-on pop up. Like 70 yards. With driver. (Sorry Jay, the loaner RBZ might need some paintwork.... Guess I'll be mailing you some cash ...). Irons/full wedge go kinda straight when I get the club face on the ball but I'm still shanking about 25% of them. The other 50% of irons shots, and every hybrid, is a hook. Example 9 iron approach from 135 misses entire green by 40 yards left.

This suffering must end. I've tried going to the range. A couple rounds ago I tried to work things out beforehand and hit no lie 25 shanked 9/7 irons in a row both off tee or off grass. My last trip to my regular practice range I went through 3/4 a bucket topping everything and just picked up and left.

Example hole from last Sunday. Tee box on par 5 #15 I hit driver, combination heel-hozel-hook-popup. Lands on the green on #18 rolls to fringe. I go over, with 7 iron, and hit a hook over trees back to our fairway. A semi straight draw 9i layup left me with 85 over the last little dogleg-type part to the green. Smooth 54° over the flag leaving ~18 foot putt for which I 3 jack and walk off with double. I hit the green in the next par3 and 3 putt again. Then duck hook tee shot on next, lost in lateral hazard, miss green approach, blade a chip over green, etc quad bogey. And triple the last hole after actually hitting fairway due to a fatty hook into water. Joyful times.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:33 am

Let me get this straight. You are hooking em off the heel and hosel? You are now a danger to yourself and others.

At least you are not slicing it. I mean that.
Build a bridge and get over it.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:29 am

Ha, i forgot you even had that club!

Sorry to hear about the deep funk you've gotten into; a couple weeks ago you looked like you were on the mend in ATL.

Have you done any video feedback of your swing? I'm no pro, but you may get some good info from that. From what i remember, you have a lot more (body) movement in your swing now than last time i saw you. It may be intentional, it may be not, but taking a couple videos could help a ton.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:43 pm

Here's a suggestion, next time you go hit balls try swinging with the absolute lightest grip you could possibly make. Lighter than light. See what happens.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:35 am

legitimatebeef wrote:Here's a suggestion, next time you go hit balls try swinging with the absolute lightest grip you could possibly make. Lighter than light. See what happens.
The club flew out of my hands on the backswing. Was that too light?

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:20 am

Just a touch Bryan. Try holding the club like you're holding a baby bird...whatever the fuck that means.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 pm

I looked over this whole thread particularly the swing sequence and I believe I understand the problem. It's very much like mine, a slight misunderstanding of how the club works in an optimal swing.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:01 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 pm
I looked over this whole thread particularly the swing sequence and I believe I understand the problem. It's very much like mine, a slight misunderstanding of how the club works in an optimal swing.
who you talking to willis?

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:12 am

Sorry, just thinking out loud. Didn't expect that anyone really reads these things anymore. It was a useless post. I was thinking hard about golf swing shit yesterday. Pay no mind.