How do you practice?

GBOGEY

Re: How do you practice?

Postby GBOGEY » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:41 am

I read last year where Peter Kostis recommended 3 ideas to test / improve your game:

1. 2 ball best ball
2. 2 ball worst ball
3. 1 ball, but play two shots on any short game shots (I think he defined 20 yards) and putts

1. Builds confidence and helps you see your best potential
2. Builds recovery skills
3. Tests your short game - if ball #2 is consistently better than ball #1, your short game needs work.

I'm not sure what hitting irons from long tees or drivers from short tees gets you from a practice point of view - I'd recommend short tees no driver. Should help you become steadier.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:14 pm

GBOGEY wrote:I'm not sure what hitting irons from long tees or drivers from short tees gets you from a practice point of view - I'd recommend short tees no driver. Should help you become steadier.

We did this in high school. It basically makes the course play different. Since I'll likely be playing the same 3 holes over and over, instead of having 3w/SW every day into the 1st hole I'll have Driver/chip (drivable from the reds) and 4i/5i from the tips. Basically forcing it to be completely different hole.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:35 am

So my short putting (inside 10') is awful.

I've made a commitment to myself that I'm no longer going to "hit balls" on the driving range in the morning. I'm either play 4 holes or I'm going through the below drill. Once I can complete the below drill I'm then allowed to go back to the driving range.

Place 4 tees in the ground at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock around a hole.
Stage 1: tees 3' from the hole. Must make 4 balls in a row from each location then move to the next location. Must complete all 4 locations (16 balls in a row) w/o missing. If you miss you start back at station 1.
Stage 2: Move the tees to 5' and repeat
Stage 3: Undecided, but want to focus on something around 8' and haven't figured out how to do it.

My only other requirement is 1 time at each station I have to completely reset (back off the ball and go through my entire routine).

I tried this today. I literally missed the 2nd 3' putt then made the next 16 3'ers. This got me through the 1st stage.
I spent the next 40 min attempting to make 16 straight 5' putts. I started by looking at the ball and I never got through the 1st station, I actually missed 3 in a row once :o . So I started looking at the hole. I made the first 12 or 13 putts while looking at the hole. I got to the 4th tee 3 times and the 2nd to last ball once. I still didn't complete "Stage 2" but I was amazed at how much better my stroke felt when I was looking at the hole. I actually started looking at 1 specific blade of grass on the edge of the cup and I was surprised how often I was able to roll the ball over that blade.

I'm curious for anyone who feels they are a good putter how long it would take them to get through both the 3' and 5' stage. Or if anyone has any ideas on what to do for stage 3?

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:16 am

I've done a pretty similar drill and it's amazing how tough those late putts get when you're close to advancing to the next 'stage.'

Below is the drill i tried for a while, and i think i was able to get to stage 3. I didn't do it very long, only a couple times, but it gets tough (there's more to it too (chipping, pitching, irons, bunkers, driver). You need a TON of time to commit to this even a couple times a week. I decided to start getting to the gym more, and hitting the range/playing 9 once a week after work.

Putting:
25 in a row from 3 feet
Lag Putting
20 in a row from 20 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle
20 in a row from 30 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle
20 in a row from 45 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:11 pm

jattruia wrote:I've done a pretty similar drill and it's amazing how tough those late putts get when you're close to advancing to the next 'stage.'

Below is the drill i tried for a while, and i think i was able to get to stage 3. I didn't do it very long, only a couple times, but it gets tough (there's more to it too (chipping, pitching, irons, bunkers, driver). You need a TON of time to commit to this even a couple times a week. I decided to start getting to the gym more, and hitting the range/playing 9 once a week after work.

Putting:
25 in a row from 3 feet
Lag Putting
20 in a row from 20 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle
20 in a row from 30 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle
20 in a row from 45 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle

Did you get this from a poker forum, I originally saw this on a poker forum (including the chipping, pitching, bunker, iron & driver)?

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:58 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:Did you get this from a poker forum, I originally saw this on a poker forum (including the chipping, pitching, bunker, iron & driver)?

Haha, holy shit i think you're right. I never saw any of the rest of the forum, just this one page when i was searching for a practice routine. But, after going back, it looks like a poker forum for sure.

Well played.

And 25 from 3' is a tough way to start a routine.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:04 pm

jattruia wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:Did you get this from a poker forum, I originally saw this on a poker forum (including the chipping, pitching, bunker, iron & driver)?

Haha, holy shit i think you're right. I never saw any of the rest of the forum, just this one page when i was searching for a practice routine. But, after going back, it looks like a poker forum for sure.

Well played.

And 25 from 3' is a tough way to start a routine.

I use to play a lot of online poker. So I actually found the "golf" forum on 2+2 because I was on there for poker. Funny thing is that if you've heard of the DECADE App for golf. The creator Scott Fawcett (sic?) use to spend a lot of time on that forum trading poker lessons for golf lessons.

BTW I've never gotten past the 3rd stage of that routine, but supposedly the guy who put it together gave it to a PGA tour player and they finished it in 2 hours. The first time I tried stage 1 it took me probably 4-5 hours of putting to finish it. Obviously it was over multiple days.

Here is the full routine for everyone else. So you must complete each stage before moving on. This might not be exactly the routine but it's pretty close.

1) 25 putts in a row from 3'
2) 25 putts in a row from 25' stopping w/in 3' of the hole.
3) 25 putts in a row from 35' stopping w/in 3' of the hole.
4) 25 putts in a row from 45' stopping w/in 3' of the hole.
5) 25 chips in a row from 25' stopping w/in 3' of the hole.
6) 25 chips in a row from 35' stopping w/in 3' of the hole.
7) 7 of 10 green side bunker shots w/in the length of a flag stick from the hole.
8) 7 of 10 pitches from 50 yards landing & stopping on the green
9) 7 of 10 pitches from 70 yards landing & stopping on the green
10) 7 of 10 shots from 100 yards landing & stopping on the green
11) 7 of 10 shots from 150 yards landing & stopping on the green
12) 7 of 10 drivers hitting the FW.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:39 pm

I'm considered to be a really good putter but I never practice "make" putts on the green longer than 5 feet. At home where my home office has a smooth carpet, I'll go to 8 feet. Anything over eight feet my number one focus is on the lag. Of course, as long as I'm within 15-20 feet and its not either a downhill putt or a big breaker I expect to make it.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:01 pm

Any drills/games you would recommend for someone who struggles from 5-10'?

I'm thinking about doing the same 16 putt game I did with 3 and 5' putts but not requiring I make 16 straight. I'm thinking I have to hit 16 straight on my intended line and have them stop past the hole no more than 2'. So short or offline is a restart.

I think my biggest issues with these putts is I'm trying to lag them up close to the hole. Because subconsciously I know they are a weakness so I don't want to screw up and 3 putt.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:05 am

I guess my point is I don't think you can drill from 5-10 feet, the miss percentage is too high. According to Shot by Shot tour pros only make 50% of 6-10 feet. My target as a 6-9 handicap is 35% (currently at 30%). I think on most greens once you get past 5 feet too many factors take over - slope, break, etc. My thought is to do what I've done - find a place at home where you can practice 8-10 feet. It will be straight and level. I probably make 80% at home but know I am thrilled to make 50% on the course. But the home practice helps me groove the routine / stroke. And I sometimes say to myself, "just stroke it like you are in the office."

My favorite two books on putting are Dave Stockton's "Putt to Win" and James Sieckmann "Your Putting Solution." Stockton more for mental attitude and Sieckmann for technique. Sieckmann has lots of drills. Never got through the whole thing - very detailed - but he has lots of good thoughts on set up /basics and it helped me identify my main flaw. I tend to shorten my stroke too much / often combined with peaking at the hole - not sure if one causes the other or not. Making the stroke equal on both sides of the swing does wonders for me.

Finally I saw a good drill recently on Golf Channel for short putts. Start 2-3 feet from the hole and push the ball forward to the hole without a back swing. Gets you in the practice of finishing the stroke, which is what I think most of us fail to do on short putts. Once you've got it, add the back swing.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Played 4 holes this morning, had some extra time so I went back to the 5' putts.

I tried 4 times and didn't complete it. I got to the 2nd station twice the 3rd station once and one time I didn't get out of the 1st station.

On the course my 1st putt distances were 15' (birdie), 7' (birdie), 8' (par), and 7' (par).
I lipped out the 15', horribly missed the middle 2 and rolled in the last one. So I shot +1.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:16 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:On the course my 1st putt distances were 15' (birdie), 7' (birdie), 8' (par), and 7' (par).
I lipped out the 15', horribly missed the middle 2 and rolled in the last one. So I shot +1.

So you made 1 of 3 from 7-8 feet - that's reasonably good. What do you mean by you missed horribly?

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:41 pm

So on #2 I thought it would break left to right and it went the other way, I played a ball outside and it broke 1/2 cup the other way. So I was off by 4" or so. Given how many times I've played this hole I'm still not certain how I missread the putt.

#3 I just put a terrible stroke on the ball. I basically "panicked" because of the terrible putt on #2, decelerated and left the club face open (which I do when I decelerate). The putt was left to right breaker and I started it right of the hole because of how poorly I hit the putt (aimed left edge).

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Ironically the putt I made on #4 was a carbon copy of the horrible putt I hit on #3. But I put a good stroke on it.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:40 am

So I finished the 16 straight 5' circle.

That last putt felt like i had an elephant on my back. Mainly because some random guy and his buddies.

A lot of these old retired guys see me out digging dirt every morning and will ask me how my game is coming. So since I moved to 100% inside 5' one asked about the drill today. He grabs the cup next to me and starts the 3' ers. He talks to me a bit but I can tell he's watching. After draining the 12th putt he says "last tee only 4 more, you got this.". I poured #13 &14 dead center. #15 caught the lip and fell the right way. I didn't hit it as agressive as I should. I backed off of the last one to regain my composure. I hear "last one you've got this.". I look up and his entire 4-some is standing 10' from the hole.

I drained it to an ovation of cheers.

Part of me was extremely annoyed, but I see those 4 guys every morning and they are genuinely nice guys. So I know it was a version of support and wanting to see a "young" golfer succeed. But damn they didn't make it easy.

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”