Club lie

JPJ
dogs: 0

Club lie

Post by JPJ » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:10 pm

I played a round on Tuesday with our club Vice Captain. Just a practice round, so he was free to give advice...and what advice he gave!

Really only one thing: He noticed that as I addressed the ball I was closing (or hooding) the club face and pointed out that with my slow swing speed it was the alignment of the club face that was going to have the greatest influence on the direction of my shots. He also said that any fat shots would tend to dig in more rather than engage the bounce of the club.

So, he got me to lay the 3 wood flat (we were practising for our 4 club salver this Saturday and I used my 3-wood on every tee shot bar three). OK, to me it looked open at address, but the result was that all my shots went much straighter and all got off the ground, INCLUDING the fat shots (because, of course, they skipped off the ground and still made good contact).

In fact not one skimmed along the deck throughout the whole round, and once I got used to it off the ground rather than just off the tee, I managed a run of six consecutive bogeys.
:-)
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

srogers13

Re: Club lie

Post by srogers13 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:31 pm

See, clubs lie to you.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:40 pm

LOL "engage the bounce". Fine post JP and a good point, but I have an issue with terminology such as that. Why not just say it'll skim rather than dig? We are in an epidemic of diminishing participation here!!! Throwing around pompous terms like engage the bounce is not going to help IMO.

That said, I've been working on my chipping a lot this year, trying to engage the bounce more. Results have been wonderful.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:39 pm

I think you have to be careful when you "engage the bounce". My problem right now that I've finally gotten my swing path to go inside out most of the time is that my club face, which is naturally open at impact, is actually square to the club face causing a push.

I do use the bounce on my club on a pretty regular basis especially, as Beef mentioned, when it comes to tough lies on touch shots or deep lies in the rough. I've befuddled some of my playing partners by taking huge swings less than 15 yards from the green and getting the ball to pop out to the green nice and soft.

Whenever I play a wood, I always take a few seconds at address to wiggle it a bit to make sure that the sole is resting flat on the ground. There is a fine line between being too open and being too closed. The difference is, if the club face is too closed, there is more margin for error. If it's too open, I'm probably taking stroke-and-distance.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:08 pm

The bounce is your friend. Engage that shit!
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:27 pm

Bounce, you're hired! :thumbup:

I've always thought that a hooded driver or fairway wood was some kind of bad compensation for a slicing swing. It does nothing to fix the problem and can also make it worse over time.

The bounce is really useful on chip or pitch shots as it allows to get the ball in the air and get some spin for that soft ball we like to have, especially when short sided. And it's pretty much the same thing with green side bunker shots, so vive le bounce!
I'm gonna go low this time...

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:43 pm

Good work, JPJ!

I like less bounce on my chip shots so I'm in the minority or I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, but it sure works for me.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:30 pm

brianmk24 wrote:Good work, JPJ!

I like less bounce on my chip shots so I'm in the minority or I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, but it sure works for me.
Everyone form a circle around Brian and start taunting.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:03 pm

brianmk24 wrote:Good work, JPJ!

It depends.

If I have a nice, perfect lie in the middle of the fairway, less bounce is better.

If I'm hitting off of hardpan, desert, or a hard bunker less bounce is better.

The thicker the grass, or the softer the surface, the more bounce I need.

My wedges are all high bounce wedges now. I almost always open the club-face at least a little on all chip shots unless I need to keep the ball low. But if I need to reduce my bounce due to a hard lie, I will close the clubface.

JPJ
dogs: 0

Post by JPJ » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:26 pm

Well, a big fat harumph. It didn't work yesterday. To be fair, nothing much did. 19 stableford points.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.