Winter Golf Tip

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Winter Golf Tip

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:33 am

I have found wooden tees as easier to force into the permafrost than plastic. Those bastards in AL, CA and GA have never had the opportunity to bring a hammer along for a quick 18. ;)
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Winter Golf Tip

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:44 am

This winter I discovered that a little pile of snow tees up the ball quite nice.

I havent resorted to a hammer yet but I have spent much time searching for pre existing tee holes. That or find a splintered tee with a really sharp point. Often in wintertime the concept of ideal tee height goes out the window and you settle for any tee height.
Build a bridge and get over it.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:12 am

This bastard in AL gets to play a coupe of 18s almost every weekend. Don't want the hammer, too tempted to use it on myself.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:13 am

By the way, my winter golf tip, go somewhere warmer to play.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:36 pm

srogers13 wrote:By the way, my winter golf tip, go somewhere warmer to play.
Wow that's a fresh take on this topic. Mind if I borrow that.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:12 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:I have found wooden tees as easier to force into the permafrost than plastic.
It sucks when they break and you get stabbed in the hand then have to play the last 8 holes with a splinter in your right thumb.
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:08 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Those bastards in AL, CA and GA have never had the opportunity to bring a hammer along for a quick 18. ;)
Oh, but I have.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:20 pm

Let me say this. Winter golf is great. It is a privilege. Playing against a wintry backdrop, snow here and there, hardly anyone else out on the course. Goddammit those are the best purest moments in recreational golf. :x You temperate weather saps won't ever know this particular joy. Ever played 18 holes in two hours and ten minutes? Not like you are ever going to take a trip to somewhere cold and bring along your clubs right? (unless Scotland or something) So I actually kind of pity y'alls in that sense.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:28 pm

I can see the peace and solitude of being alone in the snow. I briefly lived in Oregon as an adolescent and delivered newspapers in such. However, golf is a physical activity. My main problem is the hands. Mine get stiff in the cold easily. And then when you factor in the discomfort of thinning or fatting a shot in cold, for me it takes the pleasure away. Wind sucks in the cold, so in my mind it would have to be calm. So I guess I can imagine the placid solitude of being a lone golfer on a snow frosted course. My only issue would be my hands (I don't wear a glove, btw). How do you deal? Just suck it up and stop being a puss?
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:49 pm

I keep the golf glove on the whole time and wear a heavy winter glove on the right in between shots, try to keep the left in a pocket much as possible. Once I get into the flow it's not a problem. Guess my warm toasty core and overall sense of well being gets me through. There's more solutions though, I see a lot of people using the disposable warm packets. Those quarterback style hand pocket fannypack things, good idea too.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:27 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I don't deal with it enough to be that prepared. Although all of your layering advice did help me out last time I played in sub-40 temps, just gotta remember the hands next time. Except that I don't own any gloves. Maybe I'll buy a pair on Amazon and keep in the car.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:32 pm

I try to jog one out of every 3-4 holes which keeps me warm.
Keep it short stupid.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:49 am

I usually play without gloves, but in the cold, I will wear a pair of rain gloves. They tend to take out most of the vibrations of the thin shots, but not so thick to really kill the feel.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:37 am

Try hand warmer packs inside Titleist or Footjoy Cart Mittens between shots. Works like a charm. You can even leave your golf glove on. Plenty of room. If you aren't worried about breaking the rules, bring a ball inside the mitten too. Put one inside with each hand. Without the hand warmers, it's within the rules and the ball will still stay somewhat warm. Just switch to a fresh warmed one on the next tee. The mittens will keep your hands MUCH warmer than any type of winter gloves will (unless they are electric, hand-warming gloves).

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:16 pm

DougE, you should retire your pegleg and captain's pipe and be a Titleist sales rep. Anyway, I looked at those Cart Mittens and they look like they might be just the thing. I probably won't use them much, but they can stay in the bag and come out when needed.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:DougE, you should retire your pegleg and captain's pipe and be a Titleist sales rep.

Can I use you as a reference on my Titleist Employment Application?

(I have a buddy in my regular foursome who has suggested the same thing. He thinks I'm gonna get him a new set of clubs when I get the job. :lol: )

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:25 pm

The hand warmers and the gloves work great. FYI. They don't have to be Titleist either. :shock:
Tee it up!

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:10 pm

CeeBee wrote:The hand warmers and the gloves work great. FYI. They don't have to be Titleist either. :shock:
They do if I'm wearing them! :lol: 8-)

Callaway, Nike, ClicGear, Wilson, Under Armour, and Ping also make a "golf" cart mitten. More room in golf cart mittens than in gloves and allows you to wrap your fingers around the hand warmer while inside the mitten. Admittedly, it's harder to use your hands for other stuff in between shots in mittens, but you can't do a whole lot when your hands are in gloves either. You certainly can't use your cellphone for anything with gloves on. At least with the mittens, they slip off and on very easily.

Chris, on another note, do you think anything will be open this weekend around here? I am getting really anxious. Supposed to be in the 60s this weekend. Glade Valley isn't open, is it? Checking with Worthington tomorrow. Gonna take a ride over to see what they are thinking.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:38 am

Doug, I have been working so much lately I just now saw your post. I see also you played the other day. Nice. Most should be open by now although it is raining today.
Tee it up!