How do you make doubles (or worse)?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

How do you make doubles (or worse)?

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:42 am

I was thinking about this after making ... double ... on a reasonably easy par 4. My drive wasn't great but it was in the fairway about 150 yards to the green. My approach was okay but pushed a bit so I was pin high, short sided, hitting up a 5-6 foot slope with a packed down, muddy, grassless lie.

I knew making crisp contact was going to be important. Flop shots were out. Reasonably I should have clipped the ball on to the green, let it roll 20 feet away and then 2-putt for bogey. Instead, I tried to finesse a shot close, inevitably leaving the ball short of the green and pretty much having the same type of shot, which I then hit and 2-putted for double.

Yes, I occasionally hit a wayward drive and take stroke & distance in route to a double (or worse!). Or plunk one in the water and fail to salvage bogey. I rarely make double just hitting a bunch of mediocre full shots. Most of my doubles seem to come from trying to save a situation with a clever chip or pitch. I imagine it is the lure of saving par that makes me opt for the clever shot rather than the smart one.

How about everyone else? Drivers OB or in trouble the problem? Balky putter? Multiple flubbed shots?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: How do you make doubles (or worse)?

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:00 am

My last 6 doubles.
Drive into trees + a punch not-out as in I had to punch out a 2nd time.
Drive into trees - punch out sideways
Approach into water
Drive into water resulting in a re-tee (water is directly in front of tee box, so if you miss it right there is no point in walking 10' to drop).

The course I play if you are in the trees you rarely have a chance to advance the ball towards the green. You just get to punch out sideways.
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:17 pm

Bad drives, bad approaches, bad short game and bad putting.
Bluto did it

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:26 pm

Usually, it's from an errant tee shot (or second shot as well, be it the second on a par 5 or an approach), followed by another poor shot (eg bad chip), unless there was a penalty involved. Sometimes, I will also have just a poor chip followed by a 3-putt, after the chip left me in a bad spot on the green (eg wrong tier or way across or above the hole). I have made double from several bunker shots (the same bunker multiple times or from two different greenside bunkers).

In other words, just like Duke said. :lol: :facepalm
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Almost always can be traced back to a mishit. Like BK say there is also the too-cute attempt at scrambling. That one doesn't feel so bad, no guts no glory. The old chip n' a 3-putt is a classic combo of course--usually starts with a mishit of course. Like Fish say, the striking of wood is another common feature of the doubles n' worse.
Build a bridge and get over it.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:52 pm

I generally make my doubles with two shots. As they say, doubles lead to doubles.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:03 pm

I usually make them by missing my bogey putt.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:00 pm

I go back to that Hank Haney (who I dislike) saying, if you can do these you can play good golf:

Two putts or less
One shot to green when chipping, pitching, or greenside bunker
No wasted shots like chunks that barely advance the ball, OB's, into the hazard

With the exception of 3 putts after a GIR, failing at any of these usually leads to a DB

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:29 am

I do it off the tee, approach shots, short game & putting. Not quite sure, but think approach & short game (fat shots) may be the biggest culprits.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:30 am

Off the tee, approach and short game. Don't get me started on sand.
Throw me another ball will ya!

joe jones

Post by joe jones » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:54 am

Bad course management, Stinkin thinkin.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:00 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Drivers OB or in trouble the problem? Balky putter? Multiple flubbed shots?
All of that plus the occasional (or multiple) fatted or shanked iron from the fairway ruining a good tee shot, and not getting out of sand bunker first try, or skulling/dipping chips.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:11 pm

Doubles (or worse) are almost always due to a bad drive for me.

If I hit a good drive, I don't expect a whole lot out of my second shot. Just put a wedge in my hand. And if I have a round where I two-chip even once, I'm spending hours on the practice green before I even attempt to play another round. I go by the adage that I simply cannot afford to give up strokes when I'm around the greens.

If my approach, or any shot before it, goes wayward, I'm pretty much doomed. The last time I did any analysis, penalty strokes, especially for stroke and distance, were the number one cause of doubles (or worse). Usually, if I get off the tee okay, I'm having a decent round.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:47 pm

bryan k wrote:Doubles (or worse) are almost always due to a bad drive for me.

If I hit a good drive, I don't expect a whole lot out of my second shot. Just put a wedge in my hand. And if I have a round where I two-chip even once, I'm spending hours on the practice green before I even attempt to play another round. I go by the adage that I simply cannot afford to give up strokes when I'm around the greens.

If my approach, or any shot before it, goes wayward, I'm pretty much doomed. The last time I did any analysis, penalty strokes, especially for stroke and distance, were the number one cause of doubles (or worse). Usually, if I get off the tee okay, I'm having a decent round.
'Sup Bryan, I had to triple-check the date of the post, but good to see you again.
Build a bridge and get over it.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:47 pm

As of the last couple of dbl's and triples it's been the all ball contact out of a greenside bunker. Rocket launch. :facepalm
Tee it up!

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:44 pm

For me, very simple, I play #3 or #12 at Worthington. (You've played them, CB, you know.) All the other screw ups I make on the course I can usually (not always) recover from. If you make the slightest mistake on 3 or 12, you're dead and most often getting deeply buried.

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:16 am

All sorts of reasons for me, although putting is rarely an issue as that's probably the one part of my game that is consistently solid.

I'm going to be slightly cute here and say that my doubles-or-worse are due to one or both of two things:

1 - Poor shot/club selection
2 - Poor execution

(Well 'Duh!')

I played yesterday, scoring 98 (47/51), which is at least the first time I've broken 100 since 6th April, but that included a quad, a quint (is that a word?!), two triples, and a couple of doubles. So those four holes of +3 or worse ruined what was otherwise a very tidy round.

The quad: A 194yd fairway hit was wasted here. The ball was on a slight downslope with 180yds to go. I decided on a 3 wood for my approach.

Yes. A 3 wood. On a downward lie. What a cretin. A not-lofted club which is difficult to hit anyway, with the ball on a downslope effectively making the 3-wood of zero degrees loft...and to a green with a massive drop-off at the back (i.e. if I had hit it well there was still the chance the ball would roll through the green). I managed 88 yards out of it.

Shot number was thinned through the green, but was at least a good shot choice, if not the best choice. I went for a full PW, when a safer play was to put the ball back in my stance and hit either PW or 9i and let it roll on.

So, shot two was 'Poor shot/club selection', and shot 3 was 'Poor execution'.

I need three shots to get the ball back on to the green (the drop off ends up below a tree so there's a very small gap to get the ball through and up), then two putts.

The +5 was a lost tee shot, good provisional, poor 3 hybrid in to the rough, recovery in to the rough short of the green on the other side of the fairway, poor chip short of the green, putt from the fringe, two more putts. Just a bunch of poor shot execution instances in this case.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:04 am

Here's the zig-zag of my progress along the 11th...
11.JPG
11.JPG (39.53 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
And, apropos of nothing, the is the result of my first tee shot of the day. This ball is not in the first cut though! This is the fairway!!
First Cut.JPG
First Cut.JPG (41.54 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:11 am

For me it's the tee shot. If i hit it well, it (almost) takes anything worse than double out of play. Inside 200, i'm confident enough that i'll at least get near the green which leaves me a chip and 2 putts for bogey. However, when my tee shot goes awry, it can lead to a penalty, a punch out, etc that opens me up for crooked numbers. This has lead me to really get more consistent with my 3w. If it's a short hole, or a has a tight fairway, i leave driver the bag. As my fairway percentage has gone up, my handicap has come down.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:47 pm

I agree with you Doug. Hole 3 is tough enough but #12 is one miserable hole. There is something wrong with having to hit a lay up off the tee to a half blind, small landing area and then being faced with a 180 yard shot, all carry, over everything to a well bunkered, hard right to left sloping green. After the tee shot, and assuming you are in prime position, it is just a long, daunting par three. Even if you hit the green it's 20% getting down with two putts. I would gladly take bogey every time and just skip it. :wtf:
Tee it up!

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:22 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
'Sup Bryan, I had to triple-check the date of the post, but good to see you again.
Thank you, Beef. I'm still alive, though the oleander tree I'm trying to kill in my backyard is doing its best to finish me off. :)

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:39 pm

CeeBee wrote:I agree with you Doug. Hole 3 is tough enough but #12 is one miserable hole. There is something wrong with having to hit a lay up off the tee to a half blind, small landing area and then being faced with a 180 yard shot, all carry, over everything to a well bunkered, hard right to left sloping green.
And, let's not forget that forced carry, 180-yard 2nd shot is virtually always from a downhill lie, adding a much greater degree of difficulty on top of everything you mention.