Eliminating Emotions & "Nerves" in Golf

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Eliminating Emotions & "Nerves" in Golf

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:05 pm

This is NOT a swipe at LB. Just a situation I am trying to understand.

There is a person on another golf site that claims he is so focused on his swing that he has no mental issues when playing golf. The way he describes his approach is almost Mr. Spock-like. He claims to not understand how emotions or one's thoughts can affect one's swing. He is a relative novice. It could be that right now he is less concerned with the result than the process. Kind of like hitting balls at the range. No score. A bad shot has little consequence. Nothing riding on the next shot. I can almost imagine this conversation:

Him: "I just made the perfect swing"
Me: "Where did the ball go?"
Him: "I don't know and I don't care."

In one sense, an unemotional approach does sort of put golf into proper perspective. It is a game. It is just a number. Why be concerned about outside influences or what others think.

Still, if I did not get nervous or overly excited, would golf be much fun? Didn't some great philosopher say something like, "Without great sorrow, there can be no great joy." [note to self, Google that phrase when done here].

At any rate, I suspect that this other fellow is suffering from some sort mental condition (Spockitis), fibbing, or has yet to really want something during a round of golf.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Eliminating Emotions & "Nerves" in Golf

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:26 pm

I am confused. I don't see anything in that post that could be construed as "a swipe at LB".

That is except for the statement "..this is NOT a swipe at LB"

:(
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:32 pm

But even if it was a swipe at LB, so what? I can handle things! I am like the resident punching bag of this dang site. I lay it all out there fully knowing that I expose myself to ridicule. I accepted that a long time ago. People can say anything they want about the beefster. Not like I am going to run away, like some people. Cough cough.

Anyways back on topic. If this really is about some "person on another golf site", then I am inclined to think this person is fibbing, or simply lacks sufficient self-awareness. The mental affecting the physical, is this not a fundamental feature (and challenge) of the game?
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:09 pm

I agree that person probably isn't self aware.

But to add even if he was concentrating so much on the swing it didn't leave any room to be emotionally attached to the outcome, I would think that isn't going to result in a good outcome. When you hear any pro athlete being in the "zone" they all talk about it being some subconscious thoughtless process that produces amazing results.

Great hitters talk about a 95 mph fast ball seeming to be coming at them slower.
Great shooters talk about basket ball hoops looking like a lake.
Great golfers have no thought other than the vision of what they would like the ball to do.

Look at Jason Day's interview after the PGA, he said he felt no pressure at all because he was so dialed into visualizing the shot.

When good athletes are on they react, they dont think.

So my argument is I'd rather have an emotional attachment to the results than to be spending so much effort concentrating on the intricacies of my swing it becomes too taxing on my brain to also be emotionally attached to the result.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:21 pm

legitimatebeef wrote: If this really is about some "person on another golf site"
It is a real person on another site (Lihu - The Sand Trap). I just did not want the discussion of "focus on the process, not the result" to mistakenly be assumed it related to the one person who seems intensely wrapped up in working on their swing. I think you have demonstrated a passion for golf and are not in danger of being mistaken for an unemotional automaton.

And yes, it is fun to punch the Legitimatebeef punching bag now and again because I know it bounces right back up.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:45 pm

Please BK. Watch out for those Sand Trap people. Personally I don't trust em.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:45 pm

The leader of that site seems even more wacko than me.
A golfball wizard's