Driver testing

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Driver testing

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Went to test out some of this model years drivers with intentions of upgrading once the new ones come out.

Man I can't believe how much draw bias the neutral settings have. I was pumping draw after draw when my normal shot is a cut. I was doing it so much I would randomly switch in my current driver to prove to myself trackman wasn't off.

I also found out I rarely hit the center of the face. About 80-90% of the time I'm missing on the heel.

Lastly most new drivers Went the same distance as my ping g15, until I hit the calloway xr16. I picked up about 15-25 yards with that and for some reason I hit the pro version better than the regular version.
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Re: Driver testing

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:09 am

You gonna buy it?
Bluto did it

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:13 am

With all the kitchen stuff going through we don't have the $400 that I want to spend. Hopefully by the end of the month or end of may I'll have a new driver.

Maybe earlier if my wife let's me get it to shut me up.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:51 am

Well?? Did you get it eventually or not? Consider amortizing the purchase over the normal length of your driver ownership!
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:02 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:Consider amortizing the purchase over the normal length of your driver ownership!
That's a great way to rationalize. I do it all the time. At least I did when I had a job. Gonna be a lot harder for me to replace clubs as frequently now. And I really want a new driver. (Actually, a new driver swing would be better.)

If memory serves, your Nike driver was a free gift from oobgolf. Lucky stiff. Are you still playing that candy-apple red thing? :roll: It's time to upgrade, if so.

I figure with all the golf you play, and all the years you keep the same clubs, your previous driver must have amortized out to about 2 cents per round for you. I think "frugal" was a word you once used describing yourself.

Though you and I are completely opposite when it comes to replacing clubs with new ones, you are still my golf-web-forums-blog idol. Now I'm headed over to GolfWRX to read about how well I am going to hit the new Titleist 917D and how many extra yards I'm going to get with it. (That is, of course, if they will allow me in with my measly 92 mph driver swing speed.) Will I see you there? ;)

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:12 am

DougE wrote: If memory serves, your Nike driver was a free gift from oobgolf. Lucky stiff. Are you still playing that candy-apple red thing? :roll: It's time to upgrade, if so.

Will I see you there? ;)
Yes, my free Nike is still being used. If it ain't broken, why fix it?

As to other sites, I wander around and routinely run into others in our small group. We tend to use similar names although Golfwrx has me as bk52.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:18 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Well?? Did you get it eventually or not? Consider amortizing the purchase over the normal length of your driver ownership!
Didn't get it. At this point it is more because I think the largest issue is the Indian
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:21 pm

So discouraged by my driving, both in my play in Florida this week and on the range (not to mention the miserable end of season that I spent the afternoon roaming the internet looking at driver reviews. I know the driver isn't the problem, but I'm to the point that I think I mentally don't believe in the club so bad that a new point of view is needed. Based upon past experience trying stuff out and the reviews I've read, thinking about Cobra F6 or Titleist 915 D2. Might decide to wait until my birthday and splurge on this year's model. Totally dejected when it comes to one aspect of my game.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:38 pm

GBOGEY wrote:Totally dejected when it comes to one aspect of my game.
What happens with it? Massive slice? Can't get it up in the air? Tell us more about what ails you and we might be able to help (although, disclaimer, I am not a golf professional, or a teacher, and don't play either one on TV. I did stay at a Marriott once, though). :thumbs
I'm gonna go low this time...

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:55 pm

Lots of everything - I tend to hit the ball too low and bring the club inside the line so that's my normal mistake, but I've been hitting it really low so big loss of distance. My misses alternate between big hooks left, usually low, and solid in the air pushes right - can't find a fairway. The few times I hit it relatively straight it's so low I'm 2 clubs further than normal. I think I might be lunging toward the ball or dipping my back shoulder too much. Can't tell at all.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:54 pm

A driver fitting might kill two birds with a single projectile. Often the fitter is a decent player/instructor. He might give you a simple fix while you get the latest & greatest driver. You have played too well in the past for this to be a major issue. It has to be a small bad habit that has creeped into your game. Take two aspirins and call me if you aren't hitting it straight by May. :school
Let's Play 36

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:24 pm

I have been really clueless with my driver this year. Going to my 07 Taylor Made Burner a lot. This week, my plan is to install a 45" shaft in my RBZ 2 driver to see if that can fix my blocks with that club. Not a problem with my 07 Burner, but duck hooks are.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:26 pm

My guess is that you bring your takeaway too far inside, maybe as a way to promote a hit inside to out. This also results in crossing the target line at the top. Depending on your rythm and rate of body turn vs transferring the weight forward, you end up with a big hook (snap hook especially, which are low and violent to the left), as you body stops turning and the arms take over, or a high push resulting from being stuck behind, ie your hands have nowhere to go because your body has not cleared the space they would go in yet.

I would setup a little further away from the ball, so you feel you have to reach a little in front of you to get to it, and, most importantly, make sure that the club head is in front of my hands (ie towards the ball) when the club is parallel to the ground in the takeaway, looking in a mirror down the line.

At the moment, the club heads is probably way inside the hands when looking down the line when the club is parallel to the ground during the takeaway, and the forearms are already rotating to the right. You don't want that: just start the takeaway by moving your arms and shoulder triangle and rotating your body, not the arms.

If i am right, you can easily spot the problem and its correction with a look in the mirror down the line, by doing your takeaway in relatively slow motion and looking to your right (if right handed).

I hope this helps.

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:01 am

I was talking to Krank golf about my brother and I about coming Player Reps... wholesale pricing is so appealing.

Was even thinking of driving to Az for free fittings for us ( perk ), so we can see what we really should be hitting. So wanting to pull the trigger... and get s 3 degree or something.

Might go meet them at world long drive champs in Huntington Beach in march.

Dukes, you down that way aren't you?

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:50 am

sjduffers wrote:My guess is that you bring your takeaway too far inside, maybe as a way to promote a hit inside to out. This also results in crossing the target line at the top. Depending on your rythm and rate of body turn vs transferring the weight forward, you end up with a big hook (snap hook especially, which are low and violent to the left), as you body stops turning and the arms take over, or a high push resulting from being stuck behind, ie your hands have nowhere to go because your body has not cleared the space they would go in yet.

I would setup a little further away from the ball, so you feel you have to reach a little in front of you to get to it, and, most importantly, make sure that the club head is in front of my hands (ie towards the ball) when the club is parallel to the ground in the takeaway, looking in a mirror down the line.

At the moment, the club heads is probably way inside the hands when looking down the line when the club is parallel to the ground during the takeaway, and the forearms are already rotating to the right. You don't want that: just start the takeaway by moving your arms and shoulder triangle and rotating your body, not the arms.

If i am right, you can easily spot the problem and its correction with a look in the mirror down the line, by doing your takeaway in relatively slow motion and looking to your right (if right handed).

I hope this helps.
This is exactly my swing issue. I've made a ton of changes in my swing but this is the hardest one for me to fix.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:45 pm

I'm definitely coming inside - that's alwasy been my problem. Struggling to find a fix even more this time than normal.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:22 pm

GBOGEY wrote:I'm definitely coming inside - that's alwasy been my problem. Struggling to find a fix even more this time than normal.
Are you doing it by rolling your arms to the right (right-handed)? If so, the fix as I said is to practice slow-motion takeaways in front of a mirror (sideways really), initiating the takeaway with your big triangle (arms and shoulders) and keeping it stable with no rotation of the arms at all, only a rotation of the body/core until the club is parallel to the ground. The feeling you need to get is that your chest/sternum keeps pointing at the club, instead of the club moving away from you. At that point (club parallel to the ground), you can make a visual check that the club head is further towards the ball than your hands, looking in the mirror down the line. Rinse and repeat, and rinse and repeat some more. Your swing thought is to move the big triangle around your core, not your arms.

I used to have that problem when I was self-taught, because it seems right as the forearms are rotating in the follow through, it would make sense that they do too in the backswing (symmetry and all that...), but it's wrong. Practice in slow-motion and progressively accelerate. You don't have to do this very quickly as you can still have a quasi-normal swing and swing speed from a totally stopped top position, so it's not like the speed of the backswing is really critical to get some success...

You can incorporate that slow-motion and check of the club head position vs the hand in your pre-shot routine and/or waggle. That's what Rickie Fowler is doing, more or less (he does not go all the way to club horizontal, but maybe half-way there).

Good luck!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:30 pm

I'm starting to think that my takeaway is fine but after getting parallel I am turning too much around instead of up. Next thing to try.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:02 pm

GBOGEY wrote:I'm starting to think that my takeaway is fine but after getting parallel I am turning too much around instead of up. Next thing to try.
Take a video of your backswing down the line. We should be able to tell easily.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Hit some balls on a simulator today. My new swing is producing a much lower ball flight.

I was launching it around 11 degrees with 1900-2200 rpms.

Also checked out some of the newer drivers. That epic driver was just another world. I think I could get fit and pick up 15-20 yards with one of those things. Might pull the trigger instead of starting my hitting bay this year.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:31 am

I have read great reviews on the Callaway Epic driver. 15-20 extra yards for you, who can already pop it out there 300 from time to time, WOULD really be epic. One caveat to that, though, if you ever get up this way and play with CeeBee and me, you will be promptly directed back to the black tees. We'll be a bit further up. ;)

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:50 am

So my new swing is not getting me 300 yards.

I noticed on the launch monitor my club head speed was around 100mph. About 5 mph slower than my older swing generated.

I crushed one with the epic and got 260 carry 288 total. That was with 12* launch 2015 rpm backspin. I think getting the launch to 14-15* and spin around 2200 would likely add 5-10 yards on that shot.

I was comparing apples to apples at the store. My driver is 9* so I was hitting 9* drivers. I think 10-11* driver would be a lot better for me.

Apples to apples the epic was getting me 10 extra yards. The crazy thing was I hit some BAD shots with it. But they didn't turn out bad. I mean low heel shots that didn't really cut, and didn't cost me much distance. The shot dispersion with the epic was less than half the area of my current driver.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:25 pm

You're still going back to the blacks!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:01 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:The crazy thing was I hit some BAD shots with it. But they didn't turn out bad. I mean low heel shots that didn't really cut, and didn't cost me much distance. The shot dispersion with the epic was less than half the area of my current driver.
This is what is interesting me. With the courses I play, I don't necessarily need more yards as much as more fairways. Funny, there was a Golf Digest teaser a few weeks back that when they came out with their hot list that there would be a new club that was a game changer. Then the magazine comes out without saying anything about it. My guess is that it would piss off too many advertisers to say that one club was really great. Of course the teaser might have been a lie, but my guess from the buzz is that the Epic is the club.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:53 pm

GBOGEY wrote:Funny, there was a Golf Digest teaser a few weeks back that when they came out with their hot list that there would be a new club that was a game changer. Then the magazine comes out without saying anything about it. My guess is that it would piss off too many advertisers to say that one club was really great. Of course the teaser might have been a lie, but my guess from the buzz is that the Epic is the club.

I was wondering about that teaser too. It was clear it was talking about the epic.

Also the person at golf Galaxy said everyone that is coming in for a fitting was walking away with the epic, unless they wanted a specific brand.
Keep it short stupid.