100 Swings A Day

JPJ
dogs: 0

100 Swings A Day

Post by JPJ » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:29 am

Twice now I've seen video clips of Hank Haney recommending making 100 swings every day (any club, no balls).

He says it helps ingrain the action in to memory, and help learn balance, and all sorts of other good stuff.

It sounds quite, well, sound to me, but what about if there's a significant flaw in one's swing? After all, practice doesn't make perfect, but rather practice makes permanent. In other words, practice is only any good if you're practising the correct thing.

Have any of you tried Hank's tip?
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Re: 100 Swings A Day

Post by legitimategolf » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 am

Good question JP me old china. I believe we all have to compromise and accept some amount of flaw in our swing and press onward in spite of it. It would have to be a really significant flaw to make practice counterproductive. Probably implicit in Hank's advice is the idea that you learn more about the mechanics from making the swings.

For myself I am not totally convinced. Swinging with and without ball are so different. Body tends to revert back to primal instincts when the ball's there. If one could hit a handful of balls every day, that's probably more useful than a hundred no-ball swings. That said I do practice swinging a lot at home. It's probably slightly better than nothing.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

MattF
dogs: 1

Post by MattF » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm tempted to send him a video of my swing on Twitter and see what he says.
Throw me another ball will ya!

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:12 pm

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:09 pm

I may have heard this. A better alternative to me would be, I hope I get this right, but Harvey Pennick had something where you swing 5-10 times a day, swinging as slow as possible. I mean really slow. According to Harvey swinging as slow as possible ingrained the swing into your brain.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri May 13, 2016 9:07 am

GBOGEY wrote:I may have heard this. A better alternative to me would be, I hope I get this right, but Harvey Pennick had something where you swing 5-10 times a day, swinging as slow as possible. I mean really slow. According to Harvey swinging as slow as possible ingrained the swing into your brain.
All this depends upon one having a decent swing. My great fear is that I embark upon one of these projects and end up in a situation similar to someone who posts a lot in "Swing Confessions". :shock:
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!