Just Keep Swimming

jasonfish11

Just Keep Swimming

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:43 pm

Fish's swing progression blog?

Sorry for the Disney themed subject. It will probably result in a lawsuit. I have a 3 year old, I haven't seen a movie that is rated above PG in a while.

Feel free to chime in with your $0.02. Fair warning though, now that I'm paying for professional help I'm trying to ignore all of the other input; be it individual people, family, instructional videos, and most importantly myself. So I may just ignore you :lol:

Also, another note I have quit doing much editing to the video's. The instructor has editing tools, and I wanted to provide him raw footage, so some videos are pretty lengthy. Feel free to look at 1 swing (or 0 swings) and ignore lol.

October 2015.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jasonfish11

Re: Keep on Swimming

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:45 pm

4/24
FO 7i and Driver

4/24
DTL 7i and Driver

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:47 pm

6/19
FO 7i and Driver

6/19
DTL 7i and Driver

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:52 pm

Apparently I only have 1 golf outfit. Who knew?

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:29 pm

Well, your posture is certainly a ton different than the first video 8 months ago, much more 'normal' looking.

Your tempo and move into impact and finish (particularly with the irons) remind me of Spieth's, to be honest. Keep at it!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:14 pm

It really looks like at least two different people. That's great. There really is hope for those who want to make big golf swing changes.
insufficient data

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:01 pm

Your swing looks much more fluent in the last video. Posture is much better, too.

But I think the most important thing is that you are absolutely correct when you allude to the fact that if you're paying for a professional, you really shouldn't take the advice of other amateurs anymore.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:21 am

Thanks, the big thing I've learned from the instructor is; dont worry about fixing your biggest swing flaw. Fix your earliest swing flaw, because the result of that swing flaw might be causing your other flaws.

So if you EE before impact, dont worry about fixing that until you get your setup and takeaway fixed (assuming there is a flaw there).

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:21 am

That sounds like good advice.

My instructor concentrates on three areas: Set up, takeaway, and the very beginning of the forward swing (the weight shift). He's pretty confident that if I address those three things, the rest of the swing will come around.

All of my golf instructors have pretty much agreed with that philosophy. You can't fix an issue at release if everything you do that is leading up to that point is incorrect.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:13 am

So for the last month my only objective was to eliminate the hips sliding in the back swing.

You can easily see it in the FO videos.

I tucked my shirt in for Mr. Etiquette and the cargo shorts are a result of not buying new shorts in 5+ years.

7-16-16 FO 7i and Driver

7-16-16 DTL 7i and Driver

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:15 pm

That's a nice range. Pretty much only mats where I live unless private course.

Also, what are you using as your setup to video? The few times I've attempted to video my swing in the past, it was some dumb jury-rigged thing w/ the phone all cock-eyed.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:24 pm

My wife won a mini Kodak camera. I think it's a Kodak sport something or other. Basically a cheap go pro from Kodak.
[url]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1821793347 ... noapp=true[/url]

I bought a tripod and that's it.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:21 am

So progress update. Its a little too early for me to look at stats, but what the hell.

Strokes lost (compared to scratch) in 5 rounds before getting instructions.
Drive - 4.38
Approach - 3.93
Short game (inside 100 yards not on green) - 5
Putting - 3.88
Total - 17.19 wa wa :facepalm

Since getting instructor (2.5 rounds only)
Drive - 0.8
Approach - 3.18
Short game - 3.07
Putting - 4.44
Total - 11.45 moving in the right direction

So my short game actually surprised me, I was expecting it to get worse given I have put nearly no effort into practicing it. I expected it to go up like the putting has. But digging further into it, it is because my partial wedge game has improved. In the prior 5 rounds I only hit 50% of greens from inside 100 yards :fk . In the last 2.5 I've hit 88% of greens. So I've had to rely less on my chipping and more on my putting. So I guess it makes sense.

So my proximity to the hole is getting better, but it is also not so good I'm having short putts. So instead of chipping I'm now looking at a 30' birdie putt for my 2nd shot from inside 100 yards. (distance is an estimate given GG doesn't allow that much detail).

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Cool to see. I'm thinking about lessons at the start of next year. Probably gonna do it. One of my friends recommends a certain pro at his course - he'll prob. be the 1st I'll try...

Just think how good Gerry would be if he'd get a lesson.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:35 pm

That is excellent progress. As far as I'm concerned, "I've had to rely less on my chipping and more on my putting" is a very, very good sign.

Being someone who has to rely on his chipping as much as I do, I tend to not practice 30' putts because It's not uncommon for me to go entire rounds without *having* a 30' putt. Funny how that works. The fewer greens in regulation I get, the better my putting is.

Such is golf.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:37 am

I fucking hate my driver. I'm giving it until 1 month before the new models come out. Then I'm getting fit for last year's model and will buy them a month later when they get discounted 50%.

If I hate all drivers, I'm going to highly consider heating the head and removing it from the shaft (I have a Ping G15, the last of the non-adjustable drivers), this will prevent me from using it and is less destructive than just breaking the shaft. Then buy a 2h or 2i set my 3w to its lowest loft and play 3w-LW until I feel I want to try hitting a driver again.

I dont really want it in my bag for 2-4 holes/round. Seems like a waste to just use it on holes I can think about getting a GIR-1. Usually around 1 par 5 each round I can hit 3w/3w or less into the green. So, it isn't even needed on those. On one of the shorter courses I play last year I hit 4i/4i into the par 5. It was a short 465 yard par 5 and I hit the best 4i of my life (248 yards), but hell its possible. My best score in over a year came when I pulled all woods/hybrids out of my bag.

Maybe I should go Dan Plan and work my way up. Remove anything above 4i until I feel I can hit it correctly 80% of the time. Then put it into the bag.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:23 am

jasonfish11 wrote:If I hate all drivers, I'm going to highly consider heating the head and removing it from the shaft (I have a Ping G15, the last of the non-adjustable drivers), this will prevent me from using it and is less destructive than just breaking the shaft.

That's one of the craziest golf equipment related impulses I ever heard of. Whoa man. I say just snap it over your knee, I think that could feel nice and maybe cathartic.
insufficient data

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:46 pm

Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:08 pm

I remember a fad in the late '80s where players just all started breaking their bats (or trying to break their bats) after strikeouts. I seem to recall Daryl Strawberry and Jose Canseco both being in that club, but Bo Jackson was most notorious for it.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:50 am

So I'm not sure what to do with the driver. It might not make it on the trip to the course Tuesday when I meet my friend for 36 holes.

I went to the range the last 2 days before work. Thanks to the weather cooling off.

I didn't hit anything well yesterday, then today I realized I was lined up about 20-25 yards left of my target. I forgot to bring my alignment rod yesterday. Once I got lined up I just started striping my irons. Just one after another hit dead center, super consistent.

Yet my driver is just completely unreliable. I hit about 10-15 drivers at the range and I hit 1 well. I hit 4 or 5 ok, but 1 like I wanted. I'm not trying to flight the ball differently than my swing allows. I'm trying to hit a little cut on 100% of my shots (drivers and irons). I just can't figure this club out.

I'm taking the 3w to the range tomorrow. If I hit it with confidence my bag might have 13 clubs in it on Tuesday. Really pissed off and not sure what to do at this point.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:37 am

So the rain looks like it will mess up golf tomorrow.

Changed my trip plans to Tuesday 9/27.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:06 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:So I'm not sure what to do with the driver. It might not make it on the trip to the course Tuesday when I meet my friend for 36 holes.

Yet my driver is just completely unreliable.

I'm taking the 3w to the range tomorrow. If I hit it with confidence my bag might have 13 clubs in it on Tuesday. Really pissed off and not sure what to do at this point.

I feel your pain. Really struggling with tee shots again myself - there are basically two types - long and in the fairway or way off the fairway - almost nothing in between. Yesterday my first 7 drives produced 7 long (for me) drives, 6 fairways, one 10 feet from the fairway. Last 7 drives only 2 fairways, 1 OB, 1 punch out, 2 obscured paths. Not sure what I was doing differently, but this is a pattern lately - really good spells and really bad spells.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:01 am

Do your good spells normally come early?

If so I went through a phase like that then I realized that i was fatigued on the back side and couldn't control my swing as well (my old swing was very timing based see first video). So I started planning snacks and fluids throughout the round. Like "I want to eat a granola bar and drink 20 oz of water every 3 holes"

That helped but what I expect to help more is removing the timing aspect of my swing.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:19 am

I thought about that but I don't think so. I drink 3-4 bottles of water per round, depending on the heat and I usually have an apple and some other food along the way for energy. I think it has more to do with what I feel like a do on a good swing isn't what I really do, so when I try to replicate the good swing by feel I screw something up.

My vow this weekend, providing I start off okay, is to hit hybrid coming home to take the driver out of play.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:08 pm

GBOGEY wrote:I thought about that but I don't think so. I drink 3-4 bottles of water per round, depending on the heat and I usually have an apple and some other food along the way for energy. I think it has more to do with what I feel like a do on a good swing isn't what I really do, so when I try to replicate the good swing by feel I screw something up.

I don't like apples during golf. I feel they don't offer enough caloric bang for the buck to justify the work involved in breaking down and digesting them.
insufficient data

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”