About to Finally Take THE Step

DougE

About to Finally Take THE Step

Post by DougE » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:51 am

Never had a formal lesson, but have become so frustrated with my ability to get my driver "out there" a respectable distance, I talked with the club pro last evening to set up a session with him next week.

I already hit it pretty straight most of the time off the tee (65% fairways, about 95% playable drives) but compared to the rest of the clubs in my bag, my driver swing is now so screwed up as a result of trying so many different things to "re-find" my distance, I feel I have gotten lost in the abyss with it. (I guess when you don't get enough power into your swing, it's easier to keep the ball in play, even when you sometimes make less than average contact or take a questionable path to the ball.)

When I swing my other clubs, I keep it simple. One swing thought over the ball, one swing thought during the swing. Period. After being so lost with my driver the last few years, I seem to have like 20 different swing thoughts to pick from and I usually pick the wrong one, or else far too many of them during the swing while on the tee (not necessarily the range). Certainly it is because I have no idea what I am doing wrong, specifically. I am sure it has something to do with my weight transfer or lag, but I don't seem to have any problems to speak of with my other clubs.

Some people have only one swing for all clubs. Some have a different driver swing than for the rest of their clubs. I must fall into the latter category. However, I feel that fixing my biggest driver swing woes, may also help get me a few more yards with the rest of my clubs, which will only be a bonus.

The pro took a look at my physical attributes, inquired about my age, as well as past and present injuries, asked a few questions about my game, my clubs, my handicap, etc., and said with confidence, "I don't think we'll have too much trouble getting you 20 extra yards off the tee." So, I'm hopeful. If I'm nervous about anything it's that whatever fix(es) is/(are) necessary for my driver swing, might trickle down in a negative way to my iron swing, something in which I have good confidence right now.

Stay tuned if you have any interest. I'll report back.

jattruia

Re: About to Finally Take THE Step

Post by jattruia » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:33 am

Good luck Doug! I fall into the same category; different swing with my driver than my irons. I don't actually understand how you could use the same same swing for all clubs since driver is the only one with the ball teed up above the ground. Plus, i stay behind the ball more for driver to get it in the air, try to hit up on it as well, and go for long yardage instead of a real number. So, i'm with you. But, it sounds like your iron game is strong enough that it wouldn't be impacted but a couple changes to the drive.

Keep us posted on the progress!

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:19 pm

Good luck mate!
Throw me another ball will ya!

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Ahh...you are a wise man. The only thing more important than a good lesson is a good instructor giving the lesson.

So....my last lesson was over a year ago now, but I went specifically to nail down my driver swing. My instructor made me grab a 7i. The swings are not the same, but the basic fundamentals he needed to re-teach me are the same for all clubs.

I wish you luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:20 pm

Well alright Duggy. I love a good swing project. Have faith and stay strong out there brother.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:51 pm

Fair wind and following seas.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:31 pm

Thanks guys. Scheduled the lesson for Thursday evening. Can't come soon enough. My driver swing has gotten quite spastic. Totally out of sync. It KILLED me today. Salvaged an 83, but it felt far worse, as the front nine wasn't pretty on many levels. At least I was able to pull the rest of my game together to have a realistic chance at 39 on the back, but I missed the par saving putt on 18 by an inch. My driver sucked both front and back.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:14 am

Good luck to you. Hopefully it goes well for you.
Keep it short stupid.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:31 pm

I've been thinking about the GolfTec thing again
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:52 pm

I finally had the lesson. Good news and bad news. The good news is according to the pro, I have a perfect set up and a very good swing in general, but my weight transfer is lacking due to a bit of reverse pivot. (Damn Stack & Tilt ruined me a few years ago, even though I have tried so hard to get away from it.) Okay, so sounds simple to fix, but we worked on it for two hours (it was supposed to be a half hour lesson) and I had a lot of trouble trying to get in the position he was working to get me in. However, when I did get it right he said that I couldn't ask for a better swing. I did some drills with my 6 iron which I was able to get working really well, but when it came to driver, I realized it's a lot tougher fix. I need a lot of work time. (Driver was the reason I broke down and went for a lesson in the first place.)

One thing that did make me feel good was that the pro told me, based on the good swing I have, for him it will be like working with a player (as opposed to a hacker). He is confident he can get me to accomplish what I need to. It felt very foreign for me, so I am not as confident, however, when I did pull off the swing moves he was showing me with my 6i, it felt awesome and he said each time, "perfect." He may have been stroking me, but he said he knows many scratch and very low handicappers who don't have as nice a swing as I do. That's encouraging. Unfortunately, my driver swing is a long way from my 6i swing. If I can get my driver swing to work like my 6i, incorporating the moves he's instructing, I just might be able to get off the tee better. But, I was not having much luck with the driver in the lesson. He says for someone who plays and practices as much as I do, it's gonna take some time to fix that habit which is deeply set in. He gave me some drills to help, but I am not sure how to actually go out and play golf with the swing that has been keeping me in the game, while I try to work on this new swing element, which feels foreign. I see big trouble trying to use this new swing on the course until I can get it to be second nature on the range. That's gonna take some time.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:07 pm

Everything you just said sounds very familiar, Doug. It felt like deja vu when I was reading it.

My problem was (and still is) also weight transfer. I get scared to drive myself into the ball. I get scared to push off with my back foot. My weight does eventually transfer. I don't have a reverse pivot. It just transfers too late for it to do any good.

Because of this fear of driving into the ball, I developed a few other bad habits to compensate. The result was a slice that was so bad, I had no control over it.

But the hardest part was that I didn't have a good round for months after that. Hell, I didn't have a good range session for months after that. I struggled with the exact same thing, and the strategy I used was to hit the range until I felt good about my swing before playing another round. There was one exception because I had a tee time that was already booked, and it went very horribly.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:00 am

bryan k wrote:
But the hardest part was that I didn't have a good round for months after that.
That is my ultimate fear.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:18 am

With lessons you always get worse before getting better again. Doug, just stick with it. You know how to swing a club and know what you need to do. You'll be fine.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Well, surprise, surprise! Just got finished playing my first round since the lesson. Shot a 79, my best score in weeks, and was only partially able to get the new swing working on all shots. But I tried. Could definitely feel a difference, and as good as my iron ballstriking was before the lesson, I think it was even better today. Driver, when I was able to integrate the new move, was a little longer, but still a ways to go before that swing is where it needs to be. The good news is I had no weak fades off the tee today. I realize this is only one round, but at least I was able to keep the score in check...and then some. No 3-putts helped too. The only double was due to hitting my 9i approach on 10th into a water hazard just right of the green and having to take a penalty drop. I kind of got stuck between my old swing and new one and knew before starting my downswing that I was in trouble. I expected many more "in between old and new swing" shots today, but thankfully, it was really the only one with an iron in hand. I am hopeful going forward.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:20 pm

DougE wrote:... I tried. Could definitely feel a difference... I am hopeful going forward.
I am happy. There is hope for all of us. Thanks!
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:50 am

DougE wrote:knew before starting my downswing that I was in trouble.
Do you have trouble backing off a swing too? For some reason, once I start, I can't stop myself, so I know during the swing it's going to get ugly.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:13 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:There is hope for all of us.
Even for instructor-less DIY rogues like the Beefster? Probably not. :fkno
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:40 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
bkuehn1952 wrote:There is hope for all of us.
Even for instructor-less DIY rogues like the Beefster? Probably not. :fkno
I think we all learn differently. Possibly DougE needed someone to verbally give him the key. Others, like me, tend to be somewhat visual as well as text learners. I read instructions. I also like to see the movement as described. No point in talking to me, I do not learn that way. :school
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:58 pm

DougE wrote:Well, surprise, surprise! Just got finished playing my first round since the lesson. Shot a 79, my best score in weeks...
:clap: Good shooting, sir!
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:28 pm

Awesome work, Doug.

I think that feeling we sometimes get in the middle of a swing that things aren't going to turn out right is what causes those swings to be bad. It's not what we notice going into the swing. It's the indecisiveness we feel once something else doesn't feel right that does it to us.