The Early Call

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

The Early Call

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:18 am

"As that putt rolled Ms. LegitGolf, who played the round with me, made about the worst early call I've ever seen on a course, cheering the putt in with several feet left to go. Naturally that prompted a fairly stern finger wagging, even though the putt dropped.

I tend to come down pretty hard on the early call. Nothing to do with superstition (even if it's hard not to blame an early call for jinxing your ball out of the hole). Putts just have a way of missing, of either taking a wrong turn at the wrong time or even going in and then coming back out. And when that happens it's agonizing enough in complete silence. When someone blurts out YES!! right before the ball lips out, it piles on shame and degradation, making an already painful moment even worse, and what kind of person wants to do that."

A classic 2013 Legitimategolf observation. :thumbup:
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: The Early Call

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:53 am

The early call does not get its fair share of scorn. In a truly civilized society people would be shunned for that kind of behavior.
insufficient data

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:10 pm

I don't believe that the early call on a putt is all that bad, especially if the call is wrong and you quickly follow it up with "wow, you were robbed." A little commiseration makes up for the bad early call in my book.

Early call on the tee box - generally not a good thing - more guilty of that than I would like to admit.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:15 pm

GBOGEY wrote:I don't believe that the early call on a putt is all that bad, especially if the call is wrong and you quickly follow it up with "wow, you were robbed." A little commiseration makes up for the bad early call in my book.

Early call on the tee box - generally not a good thing - more guilty of that than I would like to admit.

How do you early call a shot from the tee box? I know on impact about where the ball is going, so if I launch a good one I just pick up the tee then walk out of the way while I watch it land.

Also is the conversation about early calling your own shot or someone else's shot?
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:58 pm

I think it's about people early-calling other people's shots. When someone botches their own early call, who cares? Serves em right.

Also it's very easy and very commonplace to early call a tee shot. You never heard someone say "nice shot" a few moments before your ball sliced and ended up in the trees?
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:59 pm

GBOGEY wrote:...the call is wrong and you quickly follow it up with "wow, you were robbed." A little commiseration makes up for the bad early call in my book.

That is an awful lot of chatter during someone else's putt, wouldn't you say? :no
insufficient data

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:39 pm

Usually the during putt call is something like "awesome" and the "wow, you were robbed is post putt" when it lips out - you cover your mistakes your way, I cover mine my way.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:40 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:I think it's about people early-calling other people's shots. When someone botches their own early call, who cares? Serves em right.

Also it's very easy and very commonplace to early call a tee shot. You never heard someone say "nice shot" a few moments before your ball sliced and ended up in the trees?

Makes sense. I thought the discussion was early calling your own shot.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:53 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:I think it's about people early-calling other people's shots. When someone botches their own early call, who cares? Serves em right.

Makes sense. I thought the discussion was early calling your own shot.

The original quoted text referred to me scolding my woman for early calling one of my putts.

By the way if this comes off as harsh it's not. Listen, nobody has more respect for women than I do. Believe me. It's hardly a scolding. I am such a softy that this is how I end up couching any of our little etiquette lessons: "personally I don't care, it doesn't bother me, this is just FYI as these things might sometimes bother other people."
insufficient data

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:27 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:.. Listen, nobody has more respect for women than I do. ...

Shit after Beef said he is a Clinton supporter, it looks like Trump had Putin hack the beefsters login.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:54 pm

I had no idea that people scorned the early call.

I do it occasionally on someone else's putt, and I don't think I've ever been wrong. I've had others do it to my putt, and they have been wrong. And I have to be honest. When someone thinks it goes in but it misses, that actually makes me feel very good about the shot.

Tee shot are a different story. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I dislike it when people compliment a sub-par shot. When I don't make good contact and someone says "nice shot", it takes a tremendous amount of effort for me to avoid retorting "no it wasn't". It especially hurts when I know the drive is going to put me in a position where bogey will be a struggle. The way I look at it, if I hit a drive that makes a birdie impossible, I don't want to hear about how "nice" it is.

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:21 pm

bryan k wrote:I had no idea that people scorned the early call.
Tee shot are a different story. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I dislike it when people compliment a sub-par shot. When I don't make good contact and someone says "nice shot", it takes a tremendous amount of effort for me to avoid retorting "no it wasn't". It especially hurts when I know the drive is going to put me in a position where bogey will be a struggle. The way I look at it, if I hit a drive that makes a birdie impossible, I don't want to hear about how "nice" it is.

Agreed.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:42 pm

DougE wrote:
bryan k wrote:I had no idea that people scorned the early call.

Agreed.

Yea, I join a group of 2 or 3 strangers. I struggle a bit for the first hole or two. On #3 tee I hit a pop up 180 yards and someone has to say, "Nice shot" while of course he is thinking, ..."this guy couldn't hit a ball out of a wet paper bag - he sucks. I'll throw him a bone and maybe he will feel good." :fkno
Let's Play 36

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:08 pm

you made me laugh out loud:)

I've done that, but only when it's obvious that I'm playing with beginners. I can usually tell when I'm with a decent player who is just having a bad start.

I actually tend to be pretty quiet on people's tee shots. Because so much can go wrong even if the ball initially lands in a good spot. I will rarely say "nice shot" until I see where it ended up.

I will, however, sometimes say something like "that's where you want to put it".

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:38 pm

I don't get it. Usually, people only say 'nice shot' if you hit it straight and fairly decently. When is anyone saying nice shot if you're poor in a bad position? You mean they say it early while it's in the air, and then it turns south?

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:57 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:I don't get it. Usually, people only say 'nice shot' if you hit it straight and fairly decently. When is anyone saying nice shot if you're poor in a bad position? You mean they say it early while it's in the air, and then it turns south?

It might be a situation where I know the course better than they do.

Or it might also be a situation like the other BK described where I struggle for the first couple of holes and then finally get one with a decent flight path.

I hate to put it like this, but I used to also run into a lot of folks who had never really ever seen a decent drive before. I used to love golfing with one of my nephew's friends when they were young because he'd always go "whoah" in kind of a whisper-voice every time I hit a good shot with my driver.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:06 pm

bryan k wrote:I hate to put it like this, but I used to also run into a lot of folks who had never really ever seen a decent drive before. I used to love golfing with one of my nephew's friends when they were young because he'd always go "whoah" in kind of a whisper-voice every time I hit a good shot with my driver.

I see this a lot, where I'll hit a heel cut driver that goes 230 and somehow finds the FW. I'm frustrated because it was a bad misshit, then I hear "nice shot"

I've had the same thing happen on par 3's where I know it's a bad shot, but the outcome is fine and I'm wanting to slam my club right after impact but it winds up 12' from the hole. I actually saw a hole in 1 (one of 2 I've witnessed) that never got more than 5' off the ground and hit the curb on the cart path which bounced the ball onto the green and into the hole.

So sometimes terrible shots have great outcomes, but doesn't mean they deserve a "nice shot."

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:44 pm

I hear you. My duck hook gets some good distance, but it almost always ends up lengthening the hole. Even someone saying "you'll be in great shape over there" is annoying when I know that my odds of hitting the green from 180 are pretty slim. Look at it this way. When I hit the green from 180+, it goes on the "greatest shots of the month" thread.

JPJ

Postby JPJ » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:14 am

The only early calls I don't like are from baseball players. Such as when they assume their long fly is a home run and they start trotting as they admire it, instead of busting out just in case it's only got warning track distance to guarantee they at least get second base, or when the defence assume they've got the tag and forget that they've only really got the out when the umpire says they have. Freakin' baseball players and their egos...

But, OK, OK, this is a golf forum, so back on topic, golf early calls don't really bother me. As long as someone's intention is to be encouraging then we're good.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:24 am

How 'bout when a player has a long 40-50' lag putt and whacks it (what seems) way too hard. And you say "Whoa! You smacked that thing. Slow down. Easy. Bite, Sit." Then the ball comes up a foot short of the hole. I've done that. Felt pretty stupid. :facepalm

JPJ

Postby JPJ » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:06 am

DougE wrote:...you say "Whoa! You smacked that thing. Slow down. Easy. Bite, Sit." Then the ball comes up a foot short of the hole...

You never know, perhaps it was just obeying your orders...
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:57 am

The ball will never listen to you if you don't talk to it.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:50 pm

I have the talking to the ball habit, and I am embarrassed by it. It's a sort of behavior that goes against pretty much everything I stand for and yet I still do it.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:47 am

I try to not comment except when someone hooks or slices a ball into the trees; I'll give it a "spit it out" under those circumstances.
Let's Play 36

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Have you ever talked to another players ball, and they get mad and say "get your mouth off my ball!"?

That's a disturbing situation.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”