Real Turf vs. Carpet

Does carpet allow one to groove a swing for the course or does carpet hide swing flaws?

Carpets do not affect the quality of the swing on a golf course
No votes
Carpets hide swing faults, especially the fat hit
67%
Something else - please explain further
33%

Total votes: 6

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Real Turf vs. Carpet

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:03 am

I tend to avoid hitting from carpet in warm ups and/or practice. To me, carpets are either rock hard and prevent the "divot taking" slightly downward blow or are slippery/spongy and allow "fat" hits to glide into the ball, hiding the poor contact. Obviously in many circumstances carpets can not be avoided. In those instances, I typically hit tee shots only.

Do you feel that hitting from a carpet allows one to groove a normal swing that can transfer to a golf course or that carpet hides swing flaws and makes the transition to a golf course more difficult?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Mr. Etiquette

Re: Real Turf vs. Carpet

Post by Mr. Etiquette » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:07 am

I prefer carpet as it keeps my slacks and golf shoes clean. Look good, play well!
"Life be not so short but that there is always time for courtesy."

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:10 am

I picked other.

Carpet hides swing flaws (just like hitting off a mat). But practicing at all is better than not practicing. So it is beneficial. It would just be my last resort.

As a side note my wife got mad at me for messing up the carpet and insisted I set up a hitting bay in a bonus room (one that I can break down and move). I told her it would be like $500, and she said that was better than messing up and having to replace the carpet. So that is on my to-do list this winter.

I think that is a win, not sure.
Keep it short stupid.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:18 am

Agreed, i feel like carpet can actually do more harm than good. If it's my only option i'll use it though and focus on contact. It's seriously a last resort. Wedges off a carpet? Forget about it.

MattF
dogs: 1

Post by MattF » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:37 pm

If I practice, BIG IF, I have a mat that allows you to hit down on it, simulating fairway conditions. Carpet and thin mats are a detriment to your swing.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Carpets? Who the hell calls them carpets?

If you're talking about mats, then yes, I think they suck, but I don't have much of a choice, so mats it is.
Bluto did it

jev

Post by jev » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Carpet (or better: mats) are horrible. I tend to hit a divot, which always results in pain when hitting a bucket on mats. At home I have some artificial turf, which works nicely for short game and putting. But for a full swing there's nothing like the real stuff!
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:58 pm

I feel that if you are brutally honest with yourself you can recognize a fat contact off a carpet mat. I look at the flight and if it's a short or mid iron I look at the ball as it lands. Fats tend to spin less and roll forward. Most of all I look at the distance. It might be slight but there is a difference.

Most golfers in Korea spends the majority of their golflives hitting balls off mats and it doesn't seem to have hindered them.
Build a bridge and get over it.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:01 pm

I rarely say this, but I'm fully with Beef on this one. Doesn't bother me at all and I sometimes prefer it. As long as you know that slightly fat shots will be better, I don't find it to be a problem. In confession, I tend to hit the ball a little thin. Also, finding a nice grass range near me is difficult with the added issue is that I struggle to hit down on a grass range - scared to mess up the few nice grass spots there are.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:54 am

I should probably clarify. I think you need to be at a certain level before you can get useful feedback from mats. If you're a high handicapper i don't think you'll understand the feedback (or lack there of).

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:04 am

If you have any feel---which, of course, you would as a 15 hdcp or less---you can tell when you hit ball first or mat first. And certainly, any ball not hit properly with a short iron will be obvious when it lands and releases rather than one-hops-and-stops. So, hitting off a mat or carpet, particular those types that have built-in cushion and allow you to hit down without resistance, certainly has some benefit.

As far as carpet goes, are we talking about home carpet or some kind of golf range carpet? My old club had some sort of long runner-style mat which was somehow built into the ground, for use when the turf range was worn out or soaked. It was about 4-5 feet deep and ran the length of half the range. Wasn't my favorite to hit off, yet it was forgiving on fat shots.

Ideally, hitting off turf is best, but the turf can get used up pretty quickly on most ranges. Also, the conditions at many real turf ranges, even those at the actual golf course you are about to play, don't always mimic those out on the course. On ranges, there is never enough time for the turf to grow and thicken up like out on the course. After a weekend day on a turf range, the grass at each hitting station is pretty much gone. So the next day or so, they move the stations up a few yards for fresh grass, and reseed the previous area. And a few more days they move them up again. And then again. There is only so much room on the range to move forward to new stations. By the time they must move back to the original row, the grass is barely grown in. It never gets thick and full like out on the fairways. And it is often not even the same type of grass as out on the course. It's a lot of extra cost and maintenance to put in bent grass, or bermuda grass on a range, the same as out on the course.

I have a really great mat I sometimes work off of in my backyard. It reacts a lot like real turf, and allows plenty of "divot" in front of the ball without resistance. But like any other mat, you can get away with less than perfect ballstriking, whereas on the course, you can't. It was not cheap ($400ish if memory serves), though I have had it for about 10 years, it's still in the same condition as when I first got it (though a lot dirtier). It does not wear out at all like cheaper mats do.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:48 pm

Practice? Who has time for that.
Tee it up!