Putting Grip

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Putting Grip

Postby bkuehn1952 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:01 am

On another site I ran a poll and was surprised that more than half the respondents either gripped the putter with the same overlap/interlock grip they used for other clubs or used a baseball (10 finger) grip. No "claw" grips. Few "Left Hand Low" grips. No one faces the hole (side saddle). No one uses an unanchored long or belly putter.

Also, a significant number used a reverse overlap grip overlapping 2 or more fingers (as opposed to one finger overlap).

I have always used a reverse overlap grip. Tried a left hand low approach a little and never really felt comfortable to use it "for real". I may try overlapping multiple fingers.

How about you knuckleheads?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Putting Grip

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:07 am

The left-handed grip feels weird to me to, though I secretly wish it didn't, so I could join the likes of Inbee, Lydia, Jordan--some of the greatest putters in the universe today. Then again Tiger is an all-time great, and still putts well with the old-school reverse overlap. In the end let's face it, putting is not nearly as mechanically rigorous as the full swing, so I believe one can putt great with any number of gripping styles. Good putters succeed not because of their grip but because they read well and have good pace.
insufficient data

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:25 am

I've tried everything other than side saddle.

Exclude side saddle and I'm pretty sure you can't find a putting style I haven't tried.

Right now I'm most comfortable reverse overlap looking at the hole. But if I found something I think would work better for me I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Hell my wife frequently beats me when we have played miniature golf.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jev

Postby jev » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:38 am

When I started playing, I just used a reversed overlap grip. At some point however, it stopped working for short putts. So, at the suggestion of my pro I tried a cross-handed grip. Never felt comfy with it, even though it seemed to improve short putts slightly. When I switched to a fat putter grip I found a facing palms grip (or whatever it's called today) to work nicely:

legitimatebeef wrote:I believe one can putt great with any number of gripping styles. Good putters succeed not because of their grip but because they read well and have good pace.

Even though that may be true, the reverse isn't. For a not-so-good putter, the grip might matter. I've struggled a lot with keeping the putter straight, the angle at which I struck the ball varied enormously. That was fixed with the fat grip and facing palms. Putting accuracy has improved from ca. 39 (!) to somewhere around the 34 putts a round (which still is waaay too much, but I keep improving...).
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

MattF

Postby MattF » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:09 pm

I just use a standard interlock grip but with the index finger of my right hand pointing down the grip so that it touches the end of the grip.
Throw me another ball will ya!

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:38 pm

The biggest problem I see with people not great at putting as it regards the grip, is that they have an angle between their forearms and the club, just like for all other clubs, and is due to the grip being more in the fingers than the palms. That's probably what happens with the "standard" interlocking grip too. A tell sign of this problem is the fact that the putter toe is up: that is not promoting a good strike of the ball. Get the putter in your palms, not the fingers. And the putter flat on the ground. Take a look in a mirror from the down the line view, and make sure the shaft of the putter looks like an extension of the forearms, no angle. :school

Also, if the index finger(s) extend to the steel, it may give a false sense of stability when in fact the contact is too narrow to control/prevent any unwanted rotation. It may also mean that the putter is too long. Standard putters are 35", and depending on how tall people are and how straight their posture/stance is (as opposed to leaned over the ball a bit), that may be too long, and in some cases way too long. I used to have a standard 35" putter and I am no using a 34" although I could work a 33" as well, and I am not overly leaning over: some people need 29" or 28" (and some Tour pros use that too!). :thumbup:

FWIW, I am using the classic reverse overlap. I did experiment for a few months with cross-handed (left hand low) and was making a lot of short putts (inside 10-15 feet), but the speed control for long putts was questionable, so there had to be a distance at which I switched grips and I could never figure out where this point ought to be, because as I was making more short putts left hand low, I was gaining confidence and extending the distance at which I would do the switch, which adversely impacted the lag putting... I should have been more disciplined and switched at say 15 feet, regardless of the percentage made below that. Maybe I'll try that approach again when I am in a funk and need a change. But I am currently having 30.5 putts per round so why change?
I'm gonna go low this time...

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:10 pm

I think I mentioned it briefly here already, but I had an "aha moment" about a year and half ago about my putting grip which made a huge difference. I use a standard hand-grip, with a stock PING Anser putter. The front of the club grip has, of course, that flat edge.

I used to miss putts constantly on the left side of the cup. I analyzed my stroke. I used high speed slow motion video for crying out loud. I took a putting lesson from a pro, we used mirror on the ground, a snap-on laser beam thing, looked at the lie angle of the club, etc. Frustration.

Eventually, I found the deal. I was holding the club in such a way, that if I tightened my grip it closed the club face. Like a lever effect with my thumbs against the flat edge of the putter grip. I think I was subconsciously tightening my hands before impact, shutting the club face. I altered the way I hold the club, in such a way now that even if I grip as hard as I can, it doesn't alter the face angle. really wish I had that figured out back when I was playing more consistently.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:13 am

I've messed around with claw/pencil and it was great for lag putts, not so much for short stuff. I also tried left hand low, which was the opposite (no feel on lag putts). Now I use a conventional overlap, but stand very close to the ball. I've also found that I putt much better with a pop stroke. I can't do the slow pendulum swing.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:35 pm

I was never really a poor putter, but always wanted to get better. So a year and a half ago i got a center shafted putter (which i'd never owned before) and shortly after switched to a paintbrush/claw grip. I started doing this over a 2 day scramble which was perfect since there was no pressure. After that i was sold. I more recently regripped the club with a mid 2.0 superstroke and i'm all in. I'm averaging less than 31 putts per round...although that may partially be due to my poor GIR:)

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:31 pm

I use a standard reverse overlap, but this weekend when I was imprisoned by the weather I spent a lot of time in my putting lab practicing with left hand low (7.5 feet and less). It was successful to the point where I am going to try it out in the early Spring. I've played with it before but the distance control was crap and I'm a pretty good lag putter so why change. But I know that my shorter putting could be better and I know that a few pros use it for short putts but not longer ones so we will see.

BTW, I have two putters that I use, similar in shape but different in face and weight. One has a fat grip, one doesn't. Both are 33" although I choke down to the point they could easily be 32" or 31". I probably would consider using a ladies putter if it wasn't for all the pink out there.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:17 am

GBOGEY wrote:... I probably would consider using a ladies putter if it wasn't for all the pink out there.
You and Bubba! :yess
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:21 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:Exclude side saddle and I'm pretty sure you can't find a putting style I haven't tried.

Tried this one?

Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:34 pm

I have a very logical mind, and it always seemed to me that the best possible putting stroke would be if your arms were at exactly a 90 degree angle as possible. For that reason, I use a very short putter, and bend over pretty low in comparison to most folks. No, my back is not at 90 degrees. I probably wouldn't be able to stand up if I did that.

I think my putter is 28", but I'm keeping my clubs in the car right now because the weather is nice and having them in the car makes it easier to go play.

I use a baseball grip when I swing other clubs. I grew up on the interlocking grip, but I stopped using it because I constantly had blisters in between my ring finger and pinky finger of my back hand. Overlaps felt extremely awkward. I tried doing it for about a year, and then I tried the baseball grip.

For my putter, I use a grip similar to the baseball grip except I extend my index fingers directly down the putter shaft. If I don't do this, it feels like the putter wobbles a little bit, and that makes it feel like contact isn't clean.

I tried the left handed low style, but I couldn't teach myself to wing that way without hinging my wrists on my backswing. The other part is that I used to switch hit when I played baseball, and when I used the left-handed grip, it always took me a few seconds to figure out which side of the ball to stand on. Yeah, I got made fun of.

I can always tell when I get fatigued on the putting green because I tend to dig my toe simply due to the fact that my back doesn't want to bend over that far anymore.

I also really suck at lag putting. I mean, if you were to take my lag putting and put it on a handicap scale, I'd be in the 40s. If I have a 60 foot putt, a two-putt is a *huge* victory. When I'm hitting from that far, my brain turns into scrambled eggs. I have no idea how hard to hit it. I think this problem might be partly related to my depth perception issues. I pace out my chip shots if there is time. There never seems to be enough time to pace out a putt, though, and even if I do, it doesn't seem to do any good. I tried using a different, longer putter for lag putts for a while, and it didn't seem to do any good, either. And sacrificing a club for a second putter is a pretty good sized handicap.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Coda1850 wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:Exclude side saddle and I'm pretty sure you can't find a putting style I haven't tried.

Tried this one?

Can't say I've tried that.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:36 pm

bryan k wrote:
I also really suck at lag putting. I mean, if you were to take my lag putting and put it on a handicap scale, I'd be in the 40s. If I have a 60 foot putt, a two-putt is a *huge* victory. When I'm hitting from that far, my brain turns into scrambled eggs. I have no idea how hard to hit it. I think this problem might be partly related to my depth perception issues. I pace out my chip shots if there is time. There never seems to be enough time to pace out a putt, though, and even if I do, it doesn't seem to do any good. I tried using a different, longer putter for lag putts for a while, and it didn't seem to do any good, either. And sacrificing a club for a second putter is a pretty good sized handicap.

Have you tried looking at the hole? This drastically helped my speed control.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:06 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:

You mean while I'm making contact with the ball?

I did try it once, and I almost missed the ball.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:17 pm

bryan k wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:

You mean while I'm making contact with the ball?

I did try it once, and I almost missed the ball.

Yes.

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Looking at the hole can bring surprisingly great results for me on long lags with lots of slope or breaks. It allows the subconscious to take over, like when throwing a football to a moving target, knowing instinctively where to throw it so it gets to the spot the same time the receiver does. Of course, you really have to be sure to hit the putt squarely, which is the hardest part of not looking at the ball. I work on looking at the hole on long lags on the practice green, but only do it on the course when I am not really sure of how hard to hit it or what line to start it on. I guess my subconscious can read it better than my conscious mind. More often than not, the results are quite good. I rarely ever look at the hole on putts under 30 feet or so. Just on long confusing lags.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:54 am

I'll give this a try, but I'm very skeptical mostly because my biggest flaw on my putting swing is the inability to hit the "sweet spot" on the club. This has more to do with hitting too low or too high on the ball, and when I figured that out, my short putting improved immensely. On lag putts, when I'm taking a big old swing, it's still a struggle.

The weird thing about lag putts is that I will frequently go 2-3 rounds in a row without even having a lag putt. And then I'll hit a bunch of GIRs in a round and end up with an average score due to three-putt bogeys.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 pm

bryan k wrote:I'll give this a try, but I'm very skeptical mostly because my biggest flaw on my putting swing is the inability to hit the "sweet spot" on the club.

That was my biggest issue with looking at the hole. I loved how it felt, I loved the results most of the time. But occasionally I would hit one off the toe or heel which would cause my distance control to really suffer.

So I bought a new putter with higher MOI, so now when I hit it off the toe/heel a little I don't even notice it.

Prior to buying a new putter, I just practiced the gate drill a lot (while looking at the hole). For you maybe you can practice putting pennies (stack 2 pennies and practice putting over them so that you hit them with your stoke). This will help with controlling the height of the putter at impact.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:15 pm

The putting drill sounds like a good idea. You have any ideas on something I could also use to keep the putter from going too high? I used to spend hours along the baseboard in my apartment swinging my putter back and forth trying to keep the putter head as close to the baseboard as possible without hitting it. I think this is the reason why I don't really ever have issues with club path or with hitting on the toe/heel when I'm putting. My depth perception is terrible, though, and I think that has a huge effect on my game. For instance, not being able to ground one's club in the bunker is easily the most difficult part about hitting out of a bunker for me.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:50 pm

Putting pennies like I said would prevent you from going too high, or are you taking about height during the swing and not just at impact?

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:27 pm

I thought that the pennies would keep me from putting the club too low to the ground. Since I ground my club at address to get a good feel for the distance between my shoulders and the ground (that's legal, right?), I tend to have more of a problem hitting too low on the ball which generates a bit of backspin. I start hitting too high on the ball when I get fatigued. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your suggestion?

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:55 pm

bryan k wrote:I thought that the pennies would keep me from putting the club too low to the ground. Since I ground my club at address to get a good feel for the distance between my shoulders and the ground (that's legal, right?), I tend to have more of a problem hitting too low on the ball which generates a bit of backspin. I start hitting too high on the ball when I get fatigued. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your suggestion?

I would think the pennies just keep you at a constant height, given the small margin of error. Kind of hard to hit the pennies if you are swinging too high.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14 pm

I'm really very confused right now.

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”