Putting Grip

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Putting Grip

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:24 pm

Just stack 2 pennies on the ground where the ball would be. Address them like the ball and take a stroke knocking the top one off w/o hitting the ground.

If you can consistently do that while looking at the hole you'll hit the ball at a constant height.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:27 am

ok...I get it. Thank, Mr. Fish. The reason why I was confused is because that sounds impossible to me, but I'll give it a try.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:21 am

bryan k wrote:ok...I get it. Thank, Mr. Fish. The reason why I was confused is because that sounds impossible to me, but I'll give it a try.
That is a modified version of what I actually have seen as a drill.

The drill I was told (or saw somewhere a while ago) is putting 1 penny w/o hitting the ground. So your margin of error is 0. I'm not good enough to try that so I did it with 2 stacked up.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:07 pm

it does make total sense, now. I have an additional question that is somewhat related. One putt that I really struggle with is the putt that is right next to the edge of the fringe. It's a tough shot because it's difficult to keep your putter from dragging on the fringe. How do you approach that shot?

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:04 pm

I pray.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:32 pm

bryan k wrote: I have an additional question that is somewhat related. One putt that I really struggle with is the putt that is right next to the edge of the fringe. It's a tough shot because it's difficult to keep your putter from dragging on the fringe. How do you approach that shot?
Hit down slightly with your putter (lean the shaft forward) or putt it with a bladed wedge. Both work fine.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:40 pm

I am a bladed wedge guy for shorter ones and 3 hybrid for longer ones. I even use those shots instead of a putter from the fringe (our fringe is very grainy and it helps make roll on top instead on starting to bounce.)
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:00 pm

srogers13 wrote:I am a bladed wedge guy for shorter ones and 3 hybrid for longer ones. I even use those shots instead of a putter from the fringe (our fringe is very grainy and it helps make roll on top instead on starting to bounce.)
^^^ This.
I'm gonna go low this time...

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:28 pm

These are good suggestions. I've tried each of them with some pretty horrible results:( Keep in mind that I'm also the guy who is very liberal with my putter anywhere close to the green. I think I'll go with Mr. Fish's response and just pray.